• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ever buy a timeshare because you were bored?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
This thread is crying for Cindy - to make a post & fess up .

I have done that once or twice. It's always scary to think I might win.

I did bid up a Disney points auction once, just because it was fun. It was Boardwalk Villas. If I had won, it would have been a bad time to win it. Now I wish I owned Boardwalk Villas, now that I cannot get it through exchange, and even booking DVC at 7 months is very difficult. I love that location and the lobby, and everything else about it.

Thanks Cindy -

- I knew you would come through

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
not out of boredom but we did buy recently because it was too good a deal to pass up. We had decided a while ago NO MORE and have not wavered. But at the end of 2018 a great ocean side property on the cape came up. I called many we know to tell them this was a great deal and included 2019 use. No one bit so finally I told dw that we shouldn't pass this up. Still willing to give to friends or family but will greatly enjoy this September!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I tossed in a bid for a Gaslamp Plaza Suites (I owned zero at the time) several years ago and went out to dinner and then to bed. I woke up the next morning and learned I was the winner with a final bid of $3.25 and the seller paid the closing costs.

Turns out that my unit was the top (10th) floor corner unit Plaza Suite 1br 2 bath panoramic view of San Diego. I’ve rented it out for Comic Con ever since.

Maybe the BEST timeshare acquisition story ever! Congrats!!!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I have not bought out of boredom, but have come very close to becoming a timeshare hoarder. Back around 2005 while living in Iowa (excuse #1) . . . I acquired free a Wyndham Flagstaff fixed week (#13) which was a great trader when RCI & Wyndham played nice. I was regularly able to trade into 2BR units in Hawaii and took advantage of it for many years. Unfortunately, we grew apart and I surrendered it back to its original home (Wyndham Corporate).

I started thinking about amassing more and more, even took in a stray in Arkansas for a year . . . considered it "foster care" until I could rehome that puppy. (I had it for such a short period of time, I cannot even remember its name.)

Around 2008 my sister was considering surrendering her poor and neglected points contract with Wyndham, so I kindly took it off her hands. I've gotten lots of companionship and cool trips with that one, so it's a keeper for now.

The most we ever had at one time was 6 individual timeshares weeks/contracts. Today, we're just a two timeshare household. With love them both and get good emotional return from each of them. Sometimes I wonder if I will always be able to care and feed them; or what will become of them when I get old and unable enjoy them. But for now, all is good.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Nope. All of the timeshares were bought deliberately. Same goes for the ones I sold.

When I get bored I often come here for a bit. You people come up with some boredom relief. :thumbup:

Bill

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
This thread really made me laugh. I have been poring over a lot of details about different programs.

I have been close to pulling the trigger on a few HGVC and Vistana listings. I will come back to this thread before bidding on another timeshare. So far I've been too nervous about the commitment and the risk of selling it when I'm done. So I only have a 10K WM. I'm telling myself that's it for next few years. It's ok to pay more to rent these properties instead of the long term liability of owning them.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not from boredom, but when I retired from my job years ago I purchased 1 sight unseen as a retirement gift to myself. It was a resale unit working with the front desk, from a very small resort in another country, great price, and them emailing me pics of the summer week I would be buying. When I flew over to stay there the first year I was THRILLED to see the unit in person! Lovely unit, small well run resort, Fantastic views from my unit and the grounds and views all over from the resort are amazing. Well now I own 5 weeks there. :) all resale. Super trader also:)

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
How about you? Did you ever buy a timeshare because you were bored? Or impulsive? and maybe even a bit reckless? I did it a lot when I was only owning Weeks timeshares. Since selling them all and having just WorldMark, I usually find I'm a bit more introspective about things.

Bored, no.
Impulsive? Probably.
Impulsive and obsessed. I once convinced DW I bought one just to gauge her reaction. Her reaction was much better than I anticipated so I immediately purchased it! It was/is my Marriott trader; our 2-week Hawaiian vacation stating in 13 days is courtesy of that purchase. We haven't regretted it one bit.

I've been fairly good otherwise; although, I think that after we retire we'll have a couple more in our portfolio thanks to my obsession and/or impulsiveness. It can be an impulsive purchase, but (for me) never without obsessive research. Then again, is it impulsive if you obsessively research it and decide it's what you "need"?

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
For me its more of an obsessive quest. I get an idea then I research and research and research some more. When I think I have found the right financial deal I pull the trigger. If I calculate the value of my time spent researching and looking for the best deal I would be upside down on every timeshare I ever owned. Of course so many are now being given away for free that I no longer have to calculate for opportunity cost and depreciation like I used to. It has and always will be a financial decision for me. Will it save me or make me money yes or no.

When the MF on my HGVC's and Marriot's got to the $1,100.00 and up range I got rid of them because the math did not add up for me anymore. Now that I want to go to Hawaii every year the whole mathematical equation has changed and those higher MF might work out. Still researching that one.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Definitely not impulsive, if research is involved -- in my opinion.
I mostly agree. I almost spelled it out a little more, so I'll do it now. I was impulsive in that I didn't start the day looking to purchase. Because I had previously researched, I recognized a good deal and bought it that day. We didn't really need it, which is why I put need in quotes above. Then there's the one where I put a wanted ad that sat for months...but that's another story for another day.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I look on ebay when I am bored and at times it has led to some great resale deals. If I wasn’t bored, I wouldn’t have looked and wouldn’t have purchased. No regrets, I use them all.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I'll admit I always look on the Tug Bargain Deals forum, more so out of habit to see what people are giving away. I'll get bored when I've made all my travel arrangements a year+ out, and have nothing to coordinate. That's when I start thinking , wouldn't it be nice to have a small studio trader....Now I have that option, and have more timeshare points than DH has vacation time...:ponder: I did a fair amount of research on the last two TS, so not too overly impulsive, but more personally compulsive. No more for me, no matter how good a deal it is :D

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The reasons I've bought run the gamut of complete and total ignorance because I didn't know what I was doing to sheer brilliance because I finally did know what I was doing. A couple of the times I bought fell into the complete and total ignorance category but turned out to be brilliant moves. Which gives truth to the saying that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Why do I look? Many times I've asked myself that question except it comes out more like: Why do I look and expose myself to temptation? Let me say that there needs to be some kind of rule about looking at timeshares for sale. I can personally attest to the "you look with your eyes but not with your hands" rule doesn't work. I tell myself that I'm just looking with my eyes to keep current on the going prices and it is interesting to watch the market. And just this week my pants once again caught fire as my fingers were frantically typing in bids. This makes the 9th time in the last 7 years so obviously there is a lesson to be learned that has eluded me. I have several TUG/timeshare friends, you know who you are, who are a very bad influence on me when it comes to pointing out good deals that might interest me. I'm not saying that I'm not a bad an influence on them in return but they started it! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So far I have no regrets with my resale purchases. This Lucy never has any splaining to do to her Ricky. My husband just signs the papers and says you must have thought we needed it and you would be the one to know if we can afford it. When I see really great listings go for a price I would have gladly paid I have a private moment of whining about how unfair it is to bear the burden of being a responsible adult. And darn it I deserve a prize for staying strong. No, Jan, you may not have another timeshare as your prize!

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Yes! Always researching and looking even though I’m capped out. No more for me but I’m obsessive, so I’m always looking. All of mine have been excellent decisions, thankfully And so grateful for TUGS, for educating me and to the generous offers in the bargain deals which got me started on resale

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bored, no.
Impulsive only once, purchased a timeshare called 560 Ocean Club on the broad walk in Atlantic City, NJ.
A one bedroom deluxe unit lease deal. The condos association fought this company out of business. Thanks you HOA.

Last edited:

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I always look on the Tug Bargain Deals forum, more so out of habit to see what people are giving away.
I always look, and more out of crazy hope I'll spot something great, even though I don't ever want to own any additional to the two I still own! :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I always look, and more out of crazy hope I'll spot something great, even though I don't ever want to own any additional to the two I still own! :)

Same with me!

Kevin Fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast & Ko Olina
I am addicted to timeshare ownership but I manage to exercise some self control. Every now and again I think of buying a Marriott's Newport Coast platinum week or a Ko Olina ocean view week. I would start looking at redweek etc but so far I have been strong.

Lol. I am in the commercial real estate business and bought 4 weeks here (Newport Coast). I have owned them for 3 years now and rent out the summer months for $2500 per week. I paid 8K for them and in 4 or 5 years I will have all money back. I was bored and thought it would be fun to have them if I ever moved from Newport, I would have a place to stay or my kids would have a place if they moved away. Right now I am making a 14% return on my investment. Only buy ones that rent for more than the MF. You can always go anywhere you want on Redweek for a cheaper price.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
Lol. I am in the commercial real estate business and bought 4 weeks here (Newport Coast). I have owned them for 3 years now and rent out the summer months for $2500 per week. I paid 8K for them and in 4 or 5 years I will have all money back. I was bored and thought it would be fun to have them if I ever moved from Newport, I would have a place to stay or my kids would have a place if they moved away. Right now I am making a 14% return on my investment. Only buy ones that rent for more than the MF. You can always go anywhere you want on Redweek for a cheaper price.

I would love to own at Newport Coast. Where is the best places to bargain shop for this timeshare?

Kevin Fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast & Ko Olina
Redweek.com or Ebay bidding only. Haven't seen many on ebay recently though...