• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ever buy a timeshare because you were bored?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
LOL! :D I almost did that last night. I was putzing around on eBay, and saw a WorldMark auction that I liked. I was THIS CLOSE to trying to buy it. But then common sense took over, and I resisted. I think I'm happy with the amount of WM credits I own, but every time I think I have enough, I think of how much more I could do if I only had X more credits. It's a struggle. :)

How about you? Did you ever buy a timeshare because you were bored? Or impulsive? and maybe even a bit reckless? I did it a lot when I was only owning Weeks timeshares. Since selling them all and having just WorldMark, I usually find I'm a bit more introspective about things.

Dave

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I have bought any number of eBay French horns that way.

When it comes to eBay timeshares, however, I conduct myself in a more premeditated manner.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have booked timeshare vacations because I'm bored. But never purchased a timeshare.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I tossed in a bid for a Gaslamp Plaza Suites (I owned zero at the time) several years ago and went out to dinner and then to bed. I woke up the next morning and learned I was the winner with a final bid of $3.25 and the seller paid the closing costs.

Turns out that my unit was the top (10th) floor corner unit Plaza Suite 1br 2 bath panoramic view of San Diego. I’ve rented it out for Comic Con ever since.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I bid on one recently for no particular reason, and was sweating bullets until I was outbid in the last 10 seconds. I even had to confess to my husband. That made me realize that I don't need another one right now, lol.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So what did the auction end up closing for Dave ?

I haven't checked. Aren't you proud of me? :)

Edited to add: I just checked. it doesn't close for another few days. Crap. :eek:

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Couple years ago a fully loaded 7,000 Point WM Account was on EBAY. With seller to pay closing and transfer fees. I was home alone. Patti was meeting with one of her Women Groups. The bidding was to close in about an hour. I tossed in a bid of $700 and forgot about it. I won. Patti had a long talk with me about no more timeshares and to stay off EBAY.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I play FreeCell when I'm bored.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am addicted to timeshare ownership but I manage to exercise some self control. Every now and again I think of buying a Marriott's Newport Coast platinum week or a Ko Olina ocean view week. I would start looking at redweek etc but so far I have been strong.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I look longingly at Hyatt Highlands Inn weeks. Would love a March 2BR ocean view unit. Sigh.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
FYI - I occasionally put week 52 & then sold in the ebay TS search

Those 3 bedroom fixed week 52 -Westgate’s in Orlando fascinate me
when I see someone bought them for $1.

Dave - if you stick to checking “sold “on ebay - there are fewer risks .

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I sensing there's a need for a support group? Perhaps "TBA", Timeshare Buyers Anonymous? :ponder:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Couple years ago a fully loaded 7,000 Point WM Account was on EBAY. With seller to pay closing and transfer fees. I was home alone. Patti was meeting with one of her Women Groups. The bidding was to close in about an hour. I tossed in a bid of $700 and forgot about it. I won. Patti had a long talk with me about no more timeshares and to stay off EBAY.

....but I bet Patty enjoys the trips anyway, doesn't she???? Throw that guilt back at her!!!!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
LOL! :D I almost did that last night. I was putzing around on eBay, and saw a WorldMark auction that I liked. I was THIS CLOSE to trying to buy it. But then common sense took over, and I resisted. I think I'm happy with the amount of WM credits I own, but every time I think I have enough, I think of how much more I could do if I only had X more credits. It's a struggle. :)

How about you? Did you ever buy a timeshare because you were bored? Or impulsive? and maybe even a but reckless? I did it a lot when I was only owning Weeks timeshares. Since selling them all and having just WorldMark, I usually find I'm a bit more retrospective about things.

Dave

OMG. I can relate to this! I do the same thing. Thank goodness the one or two exact weeks/resorts I look around for have not popped up! LOL!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
BTW Dave. Hang in there! Your vacation is coming up very soon!

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I bid on one recently for no particular reason, and was sweating bullets until I was outbid in the last 10 seconds. I even had to confess to my husband. That made me realize that I don't need another one right now, lol.
I have done that once or twice. It's always scary to think I might win.

I did bid up a Disney points auction once, just because it was fun. It was Boardwalk Villas. If I had won, it would have been a bad time to win it. Now I wish I owned Boardwalk Villas, now that I cannot get it through exchange, and even booking DVC at 7 months is very difficult. I love that location and the lobby, and everything else about it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
BTW Dave. Hang in there! Your vacation is coming up very soon!

Yes it is. :cheer: And as I get closer, I try and focus on that, rather than what isn't happening with my day-to-day life right now. I think I'm strong enough, but if the right buy happens to come along... :confused::ponder::rolleyes::thumbup:

Dave