• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval unfair to West Coasters

brentw52

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel that the present system for releasing availability in Interval is completely unfair. The new weeks and bulk deposits almost always show up in the middle of the night east coast time and are long gone by 6am when I get up to check. Why not release them mid morning Atlantic time so everyone has a fair shot at them. First thing I do in the morning is check the sightings(thanks for that)get excited to see a new deposit , only to find they are all taken.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The best practice is to put in an ongoing search - they are filled BEFORE anything goes online. When you only search the onlline inventory, you only see the "leftovers."

brentw52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise, I realize that but sometimes you don’t know what you are looking for until you see it.it still seems like an easy fix for Interval to keep more of their customers happy.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The best practice is to put in an ongoing search - they are filled BEFORE anything goes online. When you only search the onlline inventory, you only see the "leftovers."

I read here on TUG from several people that it does not actually work that way, even though it is supposed to. What actually seems to be happening is that bulk deposits are first released as open inventory in the middle of the night for anyone to grab and sits there for a few minutes / hours. Then, the OGS script is run and the matches are picked up.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks Denise, I realize that but sometimes you don’t know what you are looking for until you see it.it still seems like an easy fix for Interval to keep more of their customers happy.
Yes, and this also ties up a deposit. Also, as noted, a particular time may not match up with a particular resort preference. I understand ongoing searches (usually) get snapped up first, but there are various reasons people choose to see what's there, especially if you have to pay for the exchange, or you are looking at various places on short notice.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have nothing to say - but all valid points.

1. Yep, 7am EST is the time to look for extreme last minute.
2. I don't know when overnight inventory hits - but at 6am ish when I am searching I find Hyatts that are gone hours after.
3. OGS are not full proof - I have been there, but caught it on my own in the early morning hours.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have put in many ongoing searches. Only a few have hit. I usually find what I want looking for myself. Several times I have had ongoing searches and see a unit that would fill it when I am looking on my own...the unit that would fulfill the search-but is not something I would accept, has sat there for over a week without RCI catching it and notifying me of its existence. I keep on doing my own manual searches till I see something acceptable.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
my OGS should have hit one of the MKO weeks from this morning but it did not.

Last edited:

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
I’m on the east coast and have had very good luck searching at 5:30-6:30 am. Always have gotten great resorts. You just never know. I even got a last min. One bedroom at the Aviara that came up at 9:30am. It’s been great to me

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The OP was talking about the timing of inventory being released, after having NOT BEEN matched, so the ongoing search is a moot point. And as we all know an OGS is not foolproof and often fails.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
If you are a night owl, I think that the west coasters have an advantage. That said, I am getting tired of staying up late.

Inventory is fluid during the day. I don't always search during the day, but the few times that I have *had* to do an exchange quickly (rescheduling usually) and I really commit to searching during the day, I am pretty shocked at what pops up. It does take a lot of work but I have seen awesome units come and go during the day.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If you are a night owl, I think that the west coasters have an advantage. That said, I am getting tired of staying up late

Inventory is fluid during the day. I don't always search during the day, but the few times that I have *had* to do an exchange quickly (rescheduling usually) and I really commit to searching during the day, I am pretty shocked at what pops up. It does take a lot of work but I have seen awesome units come and go during the day.

I agree.

Inventory is changing constantly throughout the day.

The West Coast has the advantage. The larger quantity of deposits appear to be happening after midnight Pacific Time. Sightings have shown increase deposit activity throughout the early morning hours between 1am to 6am Pacific Time.

As stated above, the best practice is to put in an ongoing search (OGS) and OGS are not full proof, so I would search online as well. For example, I don’t think 24 hour cancellations and retrades are checked against OGS before they’re released back into inventory.

Last edited:

brentw52

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree.

The West Coast has the advantage. The larger quantity of deposits appear to be happening after midnight Pacific Time. Sightings have shown increase deposit activity throughout the early morning hours between 1am to 6am Pacific Time.

As stated above, the best practice is to put in an ongoing search (OGS) and OGS are not full proof, so I would search online as well. For example, I don’t think 24 hour cancellations and retrades are checked against OGS before they’re released back into inventory.

First off a big thank you to Alwaysonvac for all the work she does on the sightings board. However I don’t see it as an advantage to have to stay up between 1am and 6 am to check Interval. I’m an old retired guy who has always been a morning person ,so in bed by 10:30-11:00. When I do check at 6 it’s 10 am on the east coast and most of the sightings are gone. Anyway just a grumpy old man posting! I still have managed to make lots of great trades through the years.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thank you.

Yeah, I have to work, so I’m not up at 1am Pacific. By the time I log into II, I’m already looking at leftovers from larger overnight deposits.

Sometimes I get lucky and catch a smaller morning mini bulk just as the inventory is released. :cool:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree.

Do you really mean West Coast has the advantage? Not many people are awake at 1am to 6am Pacific Time, and certainly not me.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Do you really mean West Coast has the advantage? Not many people are awake at 1am to 6am Pacific Time, and certainly not me.
Yup, I’m not saying folks are online the entire time but some folks are online for some portion.

Just like some of us East Coast folks that are up at midnight eastern just to secure a reservation within our timeshare system.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, I’m not saying folks are online the entire time but some folks are online for some portion.

Just like some of us East Coast folks that are up at midnight eastern just to secure a reservation within our timeshare system.
I sometimes wake up at 5am for a round of morning golf in which being on Eastern time will be advantageous.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am up to midnight almost every night, so staying up a bit later isn't that big of a deal although it's been awhile since I've been actively looking for anything. I promised my daughter a unit at WPORV for her honeymoon, and I thought that it would kill me to get that. I had already booked the Cliffs Club so I had to do a manual search. I have never been so happy to see a bulk deposit show up. As I recall, it took a month of searching every night to find the week that I needed.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
So who would you rather have I.I. be "unfair" to? If I.I. were to release 3 hours earlier, how do you think folks in Hawaii would feel? You seem to be suggesting that the I.I. world should center around west coasters.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still evening in Hawaii.
I've often thought about that. It's so nice to be searching before bedtime while we are on vacation in Hawaii.

brentw52

TUG Member
Reaction score
So who would you rather have I.I. be "unfair" to? If I.I. were to release 3 hours earlier, how do you think folks in Hawaii would feel? You seem to be suggesting that the I.I. world should center around west coasters.
Wow, didn’t expect to be attacked for this. First off not asking for them to be released 3 hours earlier, asking for 2or 3 hours later. That way if I get my butt out of bed early,say 5:30 or 6, I might have a chance at the inventory that the east coast has seen at 7 or 8. Or another suggestion would be to stagger the release of the larger bulk deposits so everyone has a shot.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I've seen them released as early as 4am Eastern. There are some other times, but 4-6am Eastern appears to be prime.

I've thought about the release time too, especially since we found out we're moving to Hawaii this summer. Guess I'll just have to check late at night when we're there. No matter what time they release, some won't be happy.