• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval bonus weeks

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I'm "somewhat" intelligent but I just don't understand the business plan of Interval.
I just don't understand why Interval thinks a Bonus Week is an attractive incentive????

My supposition about II's business plan in this regard is the following:
  • They make fees (exchange, guest) on these trades which would otherwise go completely unused. Not a lot of money/trade but they give out a lot of them apparently.
  • They are good for their resorts: they often charge resort or other fees (parking, occupancy) they have their restaurants and other services used during low seasons which generate revenue; they keep their staff busy and making tips, and most importantly they give the resorts "fodder" for their sales department. The aggressiveness of the pitches vary but we are always strongly offered one, which is fine. We know how to politely say no.
  • Most people love getting things for free. It creates loyalty and for those of us who use them, incentive to be on their website etc. II does't expect anything in return. As the OP said they just show up and are very easy to ignore if you don't care about they or they are never in areas you want to visit.
We love ours now that we have time to use them. We have spent 4 weeks at the Vidanta Grand Luxxe which is a fabulous 5 star resort in Nueva Vallarta and have found other ones that happen to coordinate with other vacation plans so that a week of our vacation is at extremely low cost (we are using a bonus week for an already planned trip to the Canadian Rockies this summer etc.)

As to why Marriott acquired II, it seems they want to just buy all the revenue competition or have more offerings for points?

Last edited:

jewls

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Custom House Boston
To each his/her own. I value the ACs and make the most of them. But, my use typically isn't for 7 night vacations - I use them for long weekends - 3 maybe 4 nights. My recent history with them is awesome, if I do say myself! These are all gold or higher rated and in high demand time periods.

AC for deposit: 2BR Harbor Ridge Maine - Aug 2018
Freebie: 2BR InnSeason Pollard Brook New Hampshire - Aug 2018
Freebie: 1BR Marriott Custom House - July 2018
Freebie: 2BR InnSeason Pollard Brook New Hampshire - Feb 2018
Freebie: 1BR Marriott Custom House - Aug 2017

So yeah II....keep dropping them in my account!
I never see the Custom House on a certificate. I’d jump at that too even though I own there. Great place for cheap.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
In the recent MVC financial results conference call, they said that Welk Resorts and Wyndham Shell had exited II.
I can confirm this. In mid 2018, Welk "left" II. We can still trade with II but RCI gave Welk owners it's own portal, Platinum RCI membership is included in Welk ownership and we get a bonus week for EVERY STAY booked with RCI. So if we book a 3 night through RCI using our points, we get an extra AC (or whatever RCI calls them) and being platinum gets us a slight discount.
Welk owners can still deposit a week into II, so if you've traded to Welk through II, don't think you'll never get one again. IMO, II has a much nicer selection of resorts and newer pics, even if the details aren't laid out as nicely.
But what RCI did for Welk points owners, making our own portal and letting us book any RCI affiliated resort using our Welk Points, with a $2-300 exchange fee, plus the bonus week for every booking, it's very nice and convenient.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Bonus weeks for deposits are sometimes better than the freebie ones. They can often be used with an ongoing search and don't have as many restrictions.
That's news to me. Can you tell us how that works?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If anyone wants the freebie AC, I have a ton of them. I think they are down to like 29 certificates but I am getting ready to deposit my Marriott weeks soon. Have gone 2 years in a row letting the 30+ AC expire.

We have over 80 nights at Marriott since Jan. 150 more Marriott nights and about 50 hgvc nights for 2019. This doesn't include the dvc stays and cruise nights we have booked for 2019.

It can get pretty hectic time sharing part time. But having a great time these past few years.

PM me if you would like an AC to use.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Damn Frank! You selling those or what?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Damn Frank! You selling those or what?

Free to anyone to use. You must pay the exchange fees and guest certificate fee.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It really is crazy - I have been able to snatch LM Custom House units the past 2 SUMMERS with a freebie AC. But, a LM week in January - nope, it was only there in regular inventory.

I will never understand the rhyme or reason with II

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
One of my ACs lets me "Place request" (the others do not). I tried requesting Custom House and it came back with:
The following resort(s) are not available during the selected travel window, or have been removed based on your relinquishment.
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse® at Custom House, Boston, Boston, MA - MCU

So my AC won't be able to pull this.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my ACs lets me "Place request" (the others do not). I tried requesting Custom House and it came back with:
The following resort(s) are not available during the selected travel window, or have been removed based on your relinquishment.
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse® at Custom House, Boston, Boston, MA - MCU

So my AC won't be able to pull this.

This most likely is an AC you got for deposit - good for a year and you can put in a request. These you typically cannot get high end resorts in high demand areas for (there are a couple exceptions). There if you click on the certificate - it will show you the long list of excluded resorts and time periods. There is also another tab with a grid that shows you the locations and months it is good for.

For whatever reason, the Freebies (that are also cheaper to exchange) have a higher likelihood of pulling high demand places - but mostly extreme last minute.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
This most likely is an AC you got for deposit - good for a year and you can put in a request. These you typically cannot get high end resorts in high demand areas for (there are a couple exceptions). There if you click on the certificate - it will show you the long list of excluded resorts and time periods. There is also another tab with a grid that shows you the locations and months it is good for.

For whatever reason, the Freebies (that are also cheaper to exchange) have a higher likelihood of pulling high demand places - but mostly extreme last minute.

Before making a request, I did check that list and a ton of Marriotts and time frames was listed as being excluded, but Custom House only showed Christmas week as being excluded.

What are the Freebies? How do you get them? I only exchanged once in the past couple of years but have gotten about 5 or 6 ACs in that time frame.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Is there a way to find out what the cost of redeeming these ACs? I used to get an email telling me I received an AC with the terms, including the cost. I don't receive emails anymore, I just notice the ACs in my account. I sometimes offer them to relatives but I never know the cost of redemption until I actually use it.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
You can go to "My units">> click on the certificate you want to investigate/find it's availability>> find a resort you might like>>click exchange>>accept the terms>>decline the quest cert.>> then it'll show you the cost. Then just back out and you wont be billed anything.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found the various certificates in my account only lead to a frustrating exercise. Since each one has different restrictions, I end up clicking and "trying" each. For example: We're thinking about a quick Orlando trip in May and are weighing the differences/benefits of booking a week timeshare (but only using a partial week), using Bonvoy points (25,000 points a night) or paying cash (some as low as $115 including breakfast). Each of my AC's only give me about three choices at no-name timeshare properties (By the way, each AC shows me a DIFFERENT LIST of no-name properties). PLENTY of getaways are available at almost every Marriott/Sheraton property for $597 for week... no name properties are even less.
That's what the frustration is with II. There are a zillion properties available for that week in getaways... but only three options (frankly they are not choices at all) using AC's. I just can't figure out the logic.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I've found the various certificates in my account only lead to a frustrating exercise. Since each one has different restrictions, I end up clicking and "trying" each. For example: We're thinking about a quick Orlando trip in May and are weighing the differences/benefits of booking a week timeshare (but only using a partial week), using Bonvoy points (25,000 points a night) or paying cash (some as low as $115 including breakfast). Each of my AC's only give me about three choices at no-name timeshare properties (By the way, each AC shows me a DIFFERENT LIST of no-name properties). PLENTY of getaways are available at almost every Marriott/Sheraton property for $597 for week... no name properties are even less.
That's what the frustration is with II. There are a zillion properties available for that week in getaways... but only three options (frankly they are not choices at all) using AC's. I just can't figure out the logic.
Yeah, the cheap-o/freebie ACs are frustrating. When most II members got 2 freebies at the beginning of the year, even those two had different availability in the same area...... obnoxious.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the whole OGS with an AC for deposit. I want something for a specific week in July (I know, I know, higher demand time,) but I can be really flexible as to location, quality, and unit size of resort, as long as it is somewhere on the east coast between Williamsburg and Portland, ME. I go through the search process over and over again only to be told that none of those resorts are eligible. WHY DON'T YOU JUST TELL WHAT I CAN ACTUALLY PUT IN A SEARCH FOR?!? I feel like this is some kind of psychology experiment, and they are wanting to see how long we will do searches over and over again before just giving up entirely. I spent an HOUR on this over the weekend, and got nothing. Can the II rep dedicated to TUG help me? I just want to know if this is a possibility yay or nay, so I can abandon this AC option if needed.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

So true. Very well said!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I don't understand the whole OGS with an AC for deposit. I want something for a specific week in July (I know, I know, higher demand time,) but I can be really flexible as to location, quality, and unit size of resort, as long as it is somewhere on the east coast between Williamsburg and Portland, ME. I go through the search process over and over again only to be told that none of those resorts are eligible. WHY DON'T YOU JUST TELL WHAT I CAN ACTUALLY PUT IN A SEARCH FOR?!? I feel like this is some kind of psychology experiment, and they are wanting to see how long we will do searches over and over again before just giving up entirely. I spent an HOUR on this over the weekend, and got nothing. Can the II rep dedicated to TUG help me? I just want to know if this is a possibility yay or nay, so I can abandon this AC option if needed.

They do tell you where and when the certificates are good for if you click the Certificate Number.

200b485b327a78cec20d4e72c78b2f5c.jpg

2ca476c30f3889bcb82f0f21d790456a.jpg

474425c844d15cf61bfab96581f06d7f.jpg

When you click Redeem it gives more instruction.

4c009cc78b699634210dcc543800d030.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
You can go to "My units">> click on the certificate you want to investigate/find it's availability>> find a resort you might like>>click exchange>>accept the terms>>decline the quest cert.>> then it'll show you the cost. Then just back out and you wont be billed anything.

Seems like too much effort on my part, especially when they can just list the cost to redeem in the Details section.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Seems like too much effort on my part, especially when they can just list the cost to redeem in the Details section.
Eh. It's five-six clicks. But yeah, they could make it simpler. Maybe with Marriott buying II the site functionality will improve...?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that list of what's excluded is *so* user friendly to read and wade through! And how would I cross-reference it when I am trying to actually do the request search? How about this---just EXCLUDE those resorts and areas from the areas you are allowed to set up an OGS for? And, yes, that grid how the immediate "redeem" search functionality works with ACs, but NOT AT ALL how the "request" functionality works for these ACs. (You have to choose a region, then choose specific resorts within a region, to then be told that none of those resorts are eligible....over and over again.)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Yes, that list of what's excluded is *so* user friendly to read and wade through! And how would I cross-reference it when I am trying to actually do the request search? How about this---just EXCLUDE those resorts and areas from the areas you are allowed to set up an OGS for? And, yes, that grid how the immediate "redeem" search functionality works with ACs, but NOT AT ALL how the "request" functionality works for these ACs. (You have to choose a region, then choose specific resorts within a region, to then be told that none of those resorts are eligible....over and over again.)
Once you click redeem,then the month you're looking, any region and then resort you can access, is available.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I'm not trying to REDEEM. There's a different button on the ACs you get for deposit, that you can supposedly "PLACE REQUEST" against (vs. REDEEM). Totally different search functionality, and it only appears on the ACs you get for depositing, not the freebies that tend to show up randomly.

I'm sorry that I sound so frustrated. I am not a newbie to II. I have used dozens of ACs in the past. I'm not entirely sure that you understand the difference between this aspect of these ACs and the freebies where all you can do is hit redeem.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Yeah, I've only exchanged once and used the freebie's five times (Branson is the nearest place worth going by several hours). And didn't place a request with my ongoing one, just redeemed it for a week in HH in late April of 17. Sorry if I added to your frustration.