• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Montana Glacier National park...park hotels?

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
Anyone stay in any of the "in park" hotels near the lake? How far in advance do you need to make reservations (summer visit)?

I don't think there are many timeshare near this year. :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We stayed several years ago in late June. I would make reservations ASAP as they fill up. There is a company that manages all reservations in the park and has a website. We were able to stitch together reservations from the spring cancellations but that is a rough way to go.

The lodge on the east side of the park on the lake is well worth it. Killer views. Wild animal sightings from the deck so bring binoculars. There is also a boat tour you can take around the lake. There are two wings to the resort. One renovated and one not. Un-renovated very rustic and my son thought the dark hallway was spooky. We were able to move the next night into the renovated section. (our data point is old so perhaps everything is renovated by now.)

We also stayed at McDonald Lake lodge on the west side. In the woods near the bottom, lobby has woodsy decor but our room was a basic camp room and not special. If I had to do it over again, I would skip that one and stay at the Meadowwood timeshare just outside the park on the west side.

My only disappointment was not having my passport to head north to see Banff/Lake Louise for a few days. Will do next time.

Beautiful country especially on the east side of the park and the Sun road.

Last edited:

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Our goal is a road trip to Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper too!!!! How many days did ou stay in Glacier park? It seems like anywhere we want to go I need to make reservations WAY in advance! :) Thanks for the tip!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We will be going in early June. Going to the Sun is unlikely to be fully open.
We will stay at Great Northern Resort in West Glacier and Prince of Wales in Waterton Lakes.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Many Glacier Lodge, our favorite, and Glacier Park Lodge.

I made reservations one year in advance for Glacier.
For late August of this year in Yellowstone, I made reservations last summer when I saw on tripadvisor that they now start taking reservations in May for the following year.
I was fortunate to get what we wanted.

Many Glacier Lodge
g0-ManyGlacier.jpg

h3-ManyGlacier.jpg

Glacier Park Lodge

l1-BigTreeLodge.jpg

Also known as Big Tree Lodge by the indians.

l7-BigTreeLodge.jpg

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
If you are going to stay in any of the lodges, make it Many Glaciers. The setting in magnificent. However, remember that these are really old lodges and whatever the furniture, the walls are thin. For the most part, we stay elsewhere to get a good sleep and have lunch at the various lodges to soak in the ambience.
We stayed at Many Glaciers mid-June the day or two after they opened for the season. There is still lots of snow around at that time of year which means the critters are down in the valleys. From the dinner table at Many Glaciers, overlooking the lake, we saw grizzlies on the hillside, a moose and baby swim across the lake and, of course, the ever present bighorn sheep wandering around. We then moved up to Waterton with lots more critters+babies around. Things are pretty quiet still since the season isn't up and running until the snow melts out more but it's a nice time of year.
Last year, we were at a timeshare in Whitefish in early June and thoroughly enjoyed that. It's only about a half hour from West Glacier so it's very convenient. The Flathead Valley is green with fresh growth and it was a beautiful time of the year to be there. We drove to the east side and stopped in at Two Medicine Lake where it was REALLY cold with a strong wind blowing off the ice and snow that was still around the lake. Make sure to take some extra warm coats.

Sue

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We will be going in early June. Going to the Sun is unlikely to be fully open.
We will stay at Great Northern Resort in West Glacier and Prince of Wales in Waterton Lakes.
This sounds like heaven!

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What about late July for Glacier Bay National park? Too late in the season?

Also, thanks for the advice about booking a year in advance. I will check into that.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What about late July for Glacier Bay National park? Too late in the season?

Also, thanks for the advice about booking a year in advance. I will check into that.

I think Glacier Bay National Park is in Alaska. Glacier National Park is in Montana.

Dave

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
We have rented cabins in a KOA close to Glacier Natl Park. Really nice cabins with grills and huge patios. Allowed for quick access to the West Glacier, Whitefish, Kalispell, or Bigfork and Flathead Lake.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
Visited Glacier several years ago, It was wonderful. Started out at Lake MacDonald Lodge for a couple of nights, we stayed in one of the cabins near the lake. From here we headed to Many Lodge, our favorite, we had the best room with a balcony room overlooking the lake. Took a day trip to Prince of Wales Lodge in Waterton Lakes Canada and had lunch in the main dining room. After spending several nights at Many Lodge we ended our trip with a couple of nights at Glacier Park Lodge. This was the best trip, I would recommend it to anyone. I booked the rooms about a year in advance, as soon as I heard they were taking reservations. Well worth staying in the park.

Last edited:

CPS_Motors

Reaction score
Be aware that Glacier had a major forest fire last year and the Road to the Sun was closed for some time. Waterton also had a major fire in 2017 that almost came into the townsite. Municipal firefighters from Calgary went there to protect the Lodge (~3 hour drive). Regardless of the fires the views are amazing.

John

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I think Glacier Bay National Park is in Alaska. Glacier National Park is in Montana.

Dave
Probably much harder to find a place to stay at one of those over the other. :D

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Yellowstone-Glacier- Teton in August- September 2017. We spent 1 month in Oregon Washington area the same month of 2018. Both time we got big forest fire there. You can't enjoy the scenery very much, too smokey. can't see very much! So the teaching is: don't go after July. You will run into forest fire possibly.