• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Lagunamar - upgrade?

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Hi All,
i was talking to one of the guys at Vistana Resort who was selling me the explorer package. He had mention that one of the best ways to book Lagunamar was to do it through Vacation savers on Interval then upgrading (if available) the suite to a 1 bedroom for the length of the stay for $200. Has anyone been able to do this in the past?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
i was talking to one of the guys at Vistana Resort who was selling me the explorer package. He had mention that one of the best ways to book Lagunamar was to do it through Vacation savers on Interval then upgrading (if available) the suite to a 1 bedroom for the length of the stay for $200. Has anyone been able to do this in the past?
Most getaway inventory at Lagunamar is off season. I tried to upgrade a studio last March (booked through Expedia , we were not owners at the time), it was very expensive, i think it was close to 200 a day if i remember correctly. Moreover, Interval getaway gets the absolute lowest priority. Although most Lagunamar condos have great views, you may end up in one of the few that does not have a view at all.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Most getaway inventory at Lagunamar is off season. I tried to upgrade a studio last March (booked through Expedia , we were not owners at the time), it was very expensive, i think it was close to 200 a day if i remember correctly. Moreover, Interval getaway gets the absolute lowest priority. Although most Lagunamar condos have great views, you may end up in one of the few that does not have a view at all.

haha thanks Danny. yeah that's ok, we aren't there for the view.

i was told it was $200 for the entire stay since we were 3 star elite and owners, but who knows.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

i was told it was $200 for the entire stay since we were 3 star elite and owners, but who knows.
if you really care about the upgrade, you can email the resort and ask them before you buy, just to be sure (and share with us). We travel with kids and the studio is tight for more than a couple IMO.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Would Interval know or care that you’re Vistana 3-Star Elite?

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Would Interval know or care that you’re Vistana 3-Star Elite?

No, but i would be at westin lagunamar and it has nothing to do with interval. I was only told about this from someone working there.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
No, but i would be at westin lagunamar and it has nothing to do with interval. I was only told about this from someone working there.

I misunderstood as I thought the entire transaction was through Interval but the upgrade is through Lagunamar, correct? If so, would the upgrade be confirmed at booking or only upon arrival?

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
I misunderstood as I thought the entire transaction was through Interval but the upgrade is through Lagunamar, correct? If so, would the upgrade be confirmed at booking or only upon arrival?

On arrival, I was told that if there were rooms available, you can book the upgrade since your 3 star elite for $200 for the entire stay. So I’m hoping that is, I emailed the resort, but I doubt I’ll get an answer.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have more questions than answers unfortunately:
has anyone heard of this before? If true, I am surprised this was not reported earlier.
is this just at Lagunamar or it can be done at any other Vistana property?
why would anyone buy one and 2 bedroom units when you can pay $200 for an upgrade?
Unless i hear more to support the story, at this point i am inclined to believe that "his lips were moving"

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
i have more questions than answers unfortunately:
has anyone heard of this before? If true, I am surprised this was not reported earlier.
is this just at Lagunamar or it can be done at any other Vistana property?
why would anyone buy one and 2 bedroom units when you can pay $200 for an upgrade?
Unless i hear more to support the story, at this point i am inclined to believe that "his lips were moving"

DannyTS,
well the guy was pretty honest (at least i think so), he told me it was best that i declined Sheraton Flex and to wait out to see what Marriot offers to owners on the next upgrade path. He asked me where i travelled a lot to and told me, always to book Westin Laguanmar through Getaways on II. Especially if you are going in low seasons, cause its $200 to upgrade to the 1bedroom suite for the length of the stay. If you have multiple reservations, then its $200 each.

When i look on the Marriot website, it shows room upgrades as part of the Gold Elite status.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/member-benefits/gold.mi

my assumption is that people book 1 - 2 bedroom suites cause they are guaranteed the units. Whereas, i might be stuck in a studio.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
DannyTS,
well the guy was pretty honest (at least i think so), he told me it was best that i declined Sheraton Flex and to wait out to see what Marriot offers to owners on the next upgrade path. He asked me where i travelled a lot to and told me, always to book Westin Laguanmar through Getaways on II. Especially if you are going in low seasons, cause its $200 to upgrade to the 1bedroom suite for the length of the stay. If you have multiple reservations, then its $200 each.

When i look on the Marriot website, it shows room upgrades as part of the Gold Elite status.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/member-benefits/gold.mi

my assumption is that people book 1 - 2 bedroom suites cause they are guaranteed the units. Whereas, i might be stuck in a studio.

Appearing to be honest is part of the strategy to lower your guard. I hope i am not sounding too cynical but he sells overpriced timeshares! Complete honesty would be telling everyone to NOT buy timeshares from the developer but that does not happen for obvious reasons.

As far as I know you do not get room upgrades on the timeshare side, the Bonvoy link is for hotel stays. Again, i doubt that it is true but if we get confirmation from a reliable source, it would be very useful to many TUGgers so thanks for sharing.

If I may add, according to the HOA annual documents, Lagunamar has an average occupancy rate of 92%. When you factor in the slow months like September-October, that means that the resort is at full capacity most time of the year. Given that and the fact that the 1 bdr condos are the most popular, there is a very low chance that you would be getting an upgrade even if this program existed.

IMO the best way to get a 1 bedroom at Lagumar consistently and for the dates you want is by using Staroptions for the low season (just 44k for a week) or through a resale ownership (EOY?) for the platinum season, the MF are reasonable, one of the lowest in the network for that size.

Last edited:

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Appearing to be honest is part of the strategy to lower your guard. I hope i am not sounding too cynical but he is selling overpriced timeshares! Complete honesty is telling everyone to NOT buy timeshares from the developer but that does not happen for obvious reasons.

As far as I know you do not get room upgrades on the timeshare side, the Bonvoy link is for hotel stays. Again, i doubt that it is true but if we get confirmation from a reliable source, it would be very useful to many TUGgers so thanks for sharing.

he wasn't selling me a timeshare, just the explorer package. He told me never to buy a timeshare from the developer and he himself owned multiple resale. But yes, he is a salesman at the end of the day, but this was after i had already signed for the explorer package, that he offered me the idea.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
On arrival, I was told that if there were rooms available, you can book the upgrade since your 3 star elite for $200 for the entire stay. So I’m hoping that is, I emailed the resort, but I doubt I’ll get an answer.
you can also contact Vistana. Since this is, if true, a benefit for the elite owners, it sounds more like a company policy rather than a resort policy. At the minimum they should know about it either way.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
. . .
he told me it was best that i declined Sheraton Flex and to wait out to see what Marriot offers to owners on the next upgrade path.

. . .

. . .

Ok, sure he told you not to buy Sheraton Flex because he doesn’t sell that product!

As @DannyTS stated the Marriott website is only for hotel stays and doesn’t apply to Vistana timeshares.

. . .
He told me never to buy a timeshare from the developer . . .

That right there should have tipped you off he wasn’t honest since that is his livelihood.