• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How bad is airline basic economy class

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
The United flights are gone, so took another look at delta. Can go very reasonably early on a Wednesday morning, go through Atlanta and get to Madison by 10:30 in morning, which means we get home tired but have some daylight to get settled.
If I stick with United, now is at least $250 each and get to Madison at 10:30 at night, which means home about midnight.
Also looked at seating for United and only seats together way in back of plane.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The United flights are gone, so took another look at delta. Can go very reasonably early on a Wednesday morning, go through Atlanta and get to Madison by 10:30 in morning, which means we get home tired but have some daylight to get settled.
If I stick with United, now is at least $250 each and get to Madison at 10:30 at night, which means home about midnight.
Also looked at seating for United and only seats together way in back of plane.
Looks like Delta is a winner for this trip.

Richard

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fully understand your reasoning and your logic.

Still: Don't expect anyone to change seats with you: it's not required and they may have paid to have that seat--middle or not. Personally, I won't exchange seats to move further back on the airplane more than a few rows and I will never exchange seats to move forward of my overhead luggage. If you do, you can't get off the plane unless you try to 'swim salmon upriver' during the deboarding to get your bag. A very foul move IMNSHO. Further, if the plane is late or just trying to push early, the flight attendants are very likely to tell you to 'take your assigned seat.' PERIOD. This means take your assigned seat now. This can become a security issue--especially with international flights and flights that may have certain additional passengers on board. Enough said.

Booking a flight and expecting to move your assigned seat is like playing the tables in Vegas; you'll probably lose.
If you need or want assigned seating, pay for it, work it online or at the gate before boarding. Don't delay 256 people so you can save a few $$.

Man, I'm on a rant roll today. Blood sugar must be low.

Why charge people to sit together?

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Why charge people to sit together?

Basically, because they can. Right or wrong, it’s the reality of airline pricing today. If you want to pay the absolute minimum to fly, it is one of the drawbacks.

Cheers

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basically, because they can. Right or wrong, it’s the reality of airline pricing today. If you want to pay the absolute minimum to fly, it is one of the drawbacks.

Cheers

Does not makee it right and why I avoid those airlines when I can. In all the safety instructions provided and protocols does it not make sense to keep people together? Especially kids with parents and wives with their husbands? In the event of an emergency landing I’m swimming upstream to get them. Which would cause even more chaos. But I can and would.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I am a little disappointed we are flying on a multi stop trip east coast to Hawaii, then to Reno for a week stay and then back to east coast.

Had planned to use Chase Ultimate Reward points for flight. We were trying to book same flights as friends going with us. Chase had flights but only as Basic Economy. I called to see if they could get them as main cabin nope only the basic economy, so a big guy flying this far ain’t getting stuck in a middle seat with strangers and no wife by my side. So I just ended up booking flights via AA.com. So stupid as main cabin was like $40 bucks more a seat. Really Chase you can only offer basic economy seats. Those seats can’t be changed or upgraded and are non refundable. The measly difference for a large fare flight in my opinion is worth at least having a flight that if you have to change you can if need be.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm surprised that you could not get a "main cabin" booking. I suspect it was an issue with the agent to whom you spoke, not that they couldn't do it. Once, Delta moved up a flight by 50 minutes (I was already getting up at 4:30am). So, I called and spent 20 minutes discussing whether I could change flights, but after a supervisor called Delta on my behalf, it was done.

I suspect that, had you spoken to an agent willing to contact AA, it would'a happened.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Does not makee it right and why I avoid those airlines when I can. In all the safety instructions provided and protocols does it not make sense to keep people together? Especially kids with parents and wives with their husbands? In the event of an emergency landing I’m swimming upstream to get them. Which would cause even more chaos. But I can and would.

It’s very simple. If you pay the charge, you can select your seats. If you don’t, you can’t. There’s no requirement to accommodate those who feel they must sit together. If there’s some ADA justification, it will be accommodated with no charge, if not, there’s a charge.

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am a little disappointed we are flying on a multi stop trip east coast to Hawaii, then to Reno for a week stay and then back to east coast.

Had planned to use Chase Ultimate Reward points for flight. We were trying to book same flights as friends going with us. Chase had flights but only as Basic Economy. I called to see if they could get them as main cabin nope only the basic economy, so a big guy flying this far ain’t getting stuck in a middle seat with strangers and no wife by my side. So I just ended up booking flights via AA.com. So stupid as main cabin was like $40 bucks more a seat. Really Chase you can only offer basic economy seats. Those seats can’t be changed or upgraded and are non refundable. The measly difference for a large fare flight in my opinion is worth at least having a flight that if you have to change you can if need be.

With United- they have 3 tiers for economy.

One is basic and you can't even take a carry on with you! No seat picks and non refundable.

The second level you can take a carry on and you can pick your seats, but non refundable. I chose those plus paid $9 more per seat for preferred economy (not to be confused with economy plus which is $75-$85 more per seat!) which just means we sit in front of the regular economy section, but behind economy plus. Overall much more expensive than basic.

Then they have a third tier that is economy, but refundable/changeable, but for fees! This was much more money than the first two tiers.

Then there is the whole Sunday will cost you a ton more to fly rate.

The whole thing is so ridiculous. I am glad I rarely fly anywhere.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s very simple. If you pay the charge, you can select your seats. If you don’t, you can’t. There’s no requirement to accommodate those who feel they must sit together. If there’s some ADA justification, it will be accommodated with no charge, if not, there’s a charge.

Cheers

Looking after two 5 year olds should be higher on the pecking order then ada. They should be accommodated as well.

The faa should step in but after this week we know who they work for.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I booked on Chase portal and it allowed me to book main cabin on an AA flight. You pick a flight and it shows you the cheapest which is basic, then it walks you though choices to upgrade from that to main. It did this all in the portal.

Not sure if was the flights, the portal, the agent or you. Or a combo. But it is possible to book Main AA in the portal.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I booked on Chase portal and it allowed me to book main cabin on an AA flight. You pick a flight and it shows you the cheapest which is basic, then it walks you though choices to upgrade from that to main. It did this all in the portal.

That's been my experience as well. The screen initially lists basic economy fares, but after you pick the flight, there's an option to upgrade the seat. I have a pending flight that I booked thru U/R and upgraded to main cabin. But after that, I've upgraded a few seats using Delta's website, some with points & some with cash.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation

Not sure if was the flights, the portal, the agent or you. Or a combo. But it is possible to book Main AA in the portal.
I tried on line it showed next screen will allow you to upgrade seat selection. Get to next screen no upgrade option. I spoke to two Chase reps got same response some flights they only have access to basic economy. One agent said you could buy the flight you want with your card call back in we can send you a form and you can use chase points to reimburse flight cost at $.01 per point. I said what about 150% multiplier, if you do it his way you lose your multiplier..

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I tried on line it showed next screen will allow you to upgrade seat selection. Get to next screen no upgrade option.

So it must be that particular flight. Not sure what is up with that. Sorry. But don't give up as other flights in your future booking might work just fine.