• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Kauai Beach Club (Oceanfront)

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get two consecutive weeks coded oceanfront 1br units at the Kauai Beach Club. It's my wife, myself, and our 10 year old son traveling and I've kind of been hoping for a retrade into Waiohai if it comes up last minute so that we can have the second bedroom, full kitchen, and laundry. We definitely do a lot of cooking, but could make do with the limited kitchen and bbq's. Having said this, I'm guessing the oceanfront views are pretty good at the KBC? I've stayed at Waiohai and am aware that there are very few great views and lots of bad views. Can somebody who's stayed at both offer some advice?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The views at KBC are generally superior to those at Waiohai (we've stayed at each 6-10 times). If you have OF at KBC, request a room on a high floor of the Kilohana building; you will have a full view of Nawiliwili Harbor.

otoh, the Waiohai was purpose built (KBC is a hotel conversion), so Waiohai has bigger rooms, a better kitchen, and more and closer BBQ's.

Waiohai has the better beach and better snorkeling (Poipu State Park is adjacent).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get two consecutive weeks coded oceanfront 1br units at the Kauai Beach Club. It's my wife, myself, and our 10 year old son traveling and I've kind of been hoping for a retrade into Waiohai if it comes up last minute so that we can have the second bedroom, full kitchen, and laundry. We definitely do a lot of cooking, but could make do with the limited kitchen and bbq's. Having said this, I'm guessing the oceanfront views are pretty good at the KBC? I've stayed at Waiohai and am aware that there are very few great views and lots of bad views. Can somebody who's stayed at both offer some advice?
Just make sure you realize how limited the kitchen is, it's basically the same as a studio from a cooking standpoint. Kim and I agree, we'd rather not go to Kauai if we had to stay at KBC again.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you realize how limited the kitchen is, it's basically the same as a studio from a cooking standpoint. Kim and I agree, we'd rather not go to Kauai if we had to stay at KBC again.

Is the limited kitchen worse than the Maui Ocean Club? We do like to eat a lot of our own meals so maybe the risk of a Waiohai parking lot view would be worth it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the limited kitchen worse than the Maui Ocean Club? We do like to eat a lot of our own meals so maybe the risk of a Waiohai parking lot view would be worth it.
It's roughly the same as Maui though the units for Maui were nicer for our last visit to each.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Ocean FRONT views at KBC are great; you will love it. What you won't love is the room. The place is a converted hotel and the "kitchens" are anything but. The Murphy bed is quaint one night, then a PITA the rest of your stay. We stayed there once. Never again.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
The “never again” crowd is starting to scare me! :D

Reactions: Xan

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Please don't let me spoil your plans! We went to Ko Olina and Waiohai where the 2MR are huge and wonderful. We were spoiled by this and thought ALL MVC rooms must be the same.
KBC has a lot going for it outside of the room. The pool is beautiful and the beach is very good. The Dukes right on the beach was our favorite place to eat (partially because we hated the kitchen :rolleyes:).
We just think there are much better MVC options in HI.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haha well I’ve stayed at every other Marriott Timeshare in the Hawaiian islands so I guess I may as well embrace this to complete the deal (unless Waiohai or Lagoons comes up last minute).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a personal preference. We stayed there back in the day before timeshares (for us or the property) when it was the Kauai Surf and we enjoyed it somewhat but not enough to go back (live on Oahu for 3 years). We stayed on Maui in July of this past year with a similar kitchen and it wasn't a problem though they've updated the kitchens with a larger fridge. I don't know if Kauai has made the same change. The worst part is there's plenty of space to do so much more. As a minimum a slightly larger fridge and convection microwave would have made it MUCH better. For us we won't go back and would cut a trip short before we'd stay here other than maybe overnight but I doubt most would be so stringent in their requirements.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of the few who would choose KBC over the possibility of poor view room at Waiohai.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
. . . It's my wife, myself, and our 10 year old son traveling . . . and I've kind of been hoping for a retrade into Waiohai . . . Can somebody who's stayed at both offer some advice?
Aloha,
We don’t meet your criteria for offering advice, but I wonder which location might be better for a ten year old. Kalapaki Beach is probably the calmest sandy beach on Kauai. It is generally swimable even when high swells are almost every where else on the island. The snorkeling is probably disapointing - I’ve never tried because there are so many better spots.
What time of year are you going? What kind of beach do you want?
Jack

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’re familiar with Kauai’s beaches as we have been there many times. Our son likes to boogie board and surf so he likes both Po’ipu and Kalapaki. My wife and I prefer Po’ipu but we don’t mind driving to different beaches. Too bad the road is still closed on the North end as Tunnels is our favourite beach!

Last edited:

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP here to report back! We are currently staying in in 8th floor oceanfront unit in the Kilohana building with a beautiful view of the bay. I'm not sure how many of the previous commenters were here pre-renovation but the rooms appear to be nicely updated. There's an apartment size fridge in the parlour side, and a bar fridge in the bedroom side. We are getting by just fine using the bbq each night and I'd say the experience is pretty similar to the old towers at the Maui Ocean Club. Definitely feels like half way between a hotel suite and a timeshare unit, but we are enjoying it more than expected. Please let me know if anybody has questions while I'm here!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice! Thank you for your update, Chrispee. We'll be there this summer with our kids/grandkids - after a week in the Westin Princeville with our grands before their parents arrive. (I hope we survive!)

We haven't stayed at KBC since they updated the units, so I'm happy to hear it's working out well for you. The kitchens were always the weak point in previous trips. Our kids and grands are VERY excited about their first trip to Kauai, so they'd probably be happy camping out.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
OP here to report back! We are currently staying in in 8th floor oceanfront unit in the Kilohana building with a beautiful view of the bay. I'm not sure how many of the previous commenters were here pre-renovation but the rooms appear to be nicely updated. There's an apartment size fridge in the parlour side, and a bar fridge in the bedroom side. We are getting by just fine using the bbq each night and I'd say the experience is pretty similar to the old towers at the Maui Ocean Club. Definitely feels like half way between a hotel suite and a timeshare unit, but we are enjoying it more than expected. Please let me know if anybody has questions while I'm here!

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. We stayed in a similar view unit and loved it as well. The pool, Duke’s and the central location were all positives for us. Enjoy your stay.

The Mexican restaurant across the Main Street was very good too if you are looking for Mexican food.

Best regards.

Mike

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice! Thank you for your update, Chrispee. We'll be there this summer with our kids/grandkids - after a week in the Westin Princeville with our grands before their parents arrive. (I hope we survive!)

We haven't stayed at KBC since they updated the units, so I'm happy to hear it's working out well for you. The kitchens were always the weak point in previous trips. Our kids and grands are VERY excited about their first trip to Kauai, so they'd probably be happy camping out.

There's no debating the limitedness of the kitchen here, but if you're bbq people you'll be just fine I think. We've been eating a late breakfast with some combination of oatmeal, granola, yoghurt, tropical fruits and smoothies. We usually try to hit a happy hour in the late afternoon and then have a later bbq dinner.

The combination of the Westin Princeville and Kauai Beach Club sounds like a great trip this summer... have fun!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting right now in a hotel conversion with a MUCH more usable kitchen than either Maui or Kauai. In a 10 ft stretch they have a small sink, 2 top burger, convection microwave, 3/4 size fridge (with Ice Maker), 18 in DW and full cooking utensils and other than no actual oven and being more compact, it has everything a full kitchen has. Both Maui and Kauai have more than 10 ft of space to work with in total.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I'm sitting right now in a hotel conversion with a MUCH more usable kitchen than either Maui or Kauai. In a 10 ft stretch they have a small sink, 2 top burger, convection microwave, 3/4 size fridge (with Ice Maker), 18 in DW and full cooking utensils and other than no actual oven and being more compact, it has everything a full kitchen has. Both Maui and Kauai have more than 10 ft of space to work with in total.

Are you in Hawaii? If so, where? Or elsewhere? Contemplating a trip back to Hawaii in late 2020 or 2021, making mental notes!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you in Hawaii? If so, where? Or elsewhere? Contemplating a trip back to Hawaii in late 2020 or 2021, making mental notes!
No, Daytona Beach. Just moved from Bluegreen SeaBreeze to Wyndham's Ocean Walk waiting to check in. The basics of SeaBreeze's setup is one I've seen a number of times in situations where a limited kitchen was to be expected (Hotel Conversions & areas where eating out was more the norm/encouraged like Mx).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We stayed at Waiohai and had a view of the swans. I told Rick I was disappointed at the view, and he said, "We could be on the other side of the hallway, the side with the view of the parking lot and Brennecke's." The unit was extremely nice.

Our first week, we were at Kauai Beach and couldn't have been happier with the resort feel of the place, even down to an escalator to take you down to the lower level. Beautiful little area before the water. I am surprised at how far the water is from even the oceanfront units in our building. We loved The Beach Hut for lunch (but we have eaten there many times), and of course Duke's.

What really blew me away was the HUGE pool and the kiddie pool area, which is a mini waterpark. If you have smaller kids, what a blast to spend time there. The kitchen was a minor inconvenience. We bought salad regularly and ate easy breakfasts of yogurt and other edibles, even some Costco muffins, which we never do. It was fine. There was a dishwasher.

The only odd thing about the kitchen is there is room for a bigger refrigerator. It would be easy to move things around a bit for a 10-11 cubic foot fridge.

Mom was in her glory for shopping during her walks. She spent a lot of money at the resort's shops.

Shearwater was undergoing a major refurbishment, so I couldn't get into the resort at all. I am still unable to get into Shearwater as regularly as I used to. Not many exchanges. Westin is okay, but not great for views.

taffy19

Reaction score
Sounds wonderful that you are enjoying your stay and like what they have done to the condos.

Liking or not liking a timeshare condo is so personal because we all know where our priorities or preferences are and they are different for most people. Only if you know the other person very well will you have an idea.

For us it is the view but that pool has to be one of the nicest pools that the Marriott has at their timeshare resorts.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for reminding me how much I love that pool!

It is Hawaii’s largest single-level outdoor pool. WOW!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have several never again on Kaua’i.
The only place I’ll stay from now on is Pono Kai in Kapa’a. Luckily I own 3 weeks there, one 1/1 loft with Pacific Fantasy (my original from the late 1980’s), and two 2/2 (1 deeded w/loft, the other deeded week 51 oceanfront if that makes any difference, since weeks float, they are all great deeded units, too bad my Pacific Fantasy trip coming up for 2 weeks is my last trip for awhile, since we have to save money for a move “back home” closer to family, so my 2020 units are up for rent until the big move in a couple of years. Then I still wont know what year I’ll be able to get back to the Pono Kai Resort!)

We decided that our Kaua’i resort will be the only place we will stay at from now on, and if we want to visit another island while out there for a couple of nights, we will use the military recreation facilities available on the Big Island (in Volcano Park), and Hale Koa in Waikiki. Maui we can get a hotel for such a short stay, but that island really doesn’t interest me, and we already seen what has to be seen on Maui the few times I’ve stayed there.

So definitely add me into the never again list of people for 99% of Kaua`i resorts, plus Pono Kai is a rare one on the island with elevators, and on the ocean! (Granted, if you go for a last minute booking and anything is available, you may get a garden view unit, but the resort is small, and easy to walk to restaurants and shops, and even a better beach down the walking/bike path!)

Listen to what the other people say from experience of staying in a converted hotel unit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk