• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy timeshares to rent

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Do any of you have units purchased solely to rent and cover MF of them plus the weeks you use? We currently use one week and use one week elected to points so have one week to rent but would be just as easy to have two to rent and if so will cover more MF provided I can get them rented!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I’ve got two in the San Diego area that I rent every summer. My rentals cover my maintenance fees for four out of the five places I own.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
This is what I am thinking, 1 covers itself and a bit of another, but 2 would cover 75% of all fees..... trying to justify to myself

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Just don't buy developer because you will never get your money back on that deal.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Just don't buy developer because you will never get your money back on that deal.

No would be a resale, a developer purchase would get me to presidential level but perks aren’t enough for me to do it. The units here in Spain are always in demand so would be going for one of them.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if one of the units go vacant (unrented) then that can throw all your profits out the window; i.e. it becomes an expense and not an income source.....

Unrented units become alligators and will start eating into your assets.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
This is what I am thinking, 1 covers itself and a bit of another, but 2 would cover 75% of all fees..... trying to justify to myself

How do you cover (or better, recover) your upfront cost -- the purchase price?

That's the dirty math in most financial analyses of timeshares.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
How do you cover (or better, recover) your upfront cost -- the purchase price?

That's the dirty math in most financial analyses of timeshares.

Purchase price is 3.500€ inc. cost so not a huge outlay. MF just under 1.100€, rentals for that season go for approx 1.800-2.100€ so would take a few years to recover alright.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like timeshares that I can rent or easily use if I don't rent it. So far it hasn't been a problem. I also liked old contracts with lower maintenance fee's. The problem with these are often the flexibility factor. Currently I like multi-destination systems with destinations in areas that provide sun and sand when it is cold up north.

Bill

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Purchase price is 3.500€ inc. cost so not a huge outlay. MF just under 1.100€, rentals for that season go for approx 1.800-2.100€ so would take a few years to recover alright.

Those are good numbers -- a profit of about 900€ on an "investment" of 3500€ -- about 25% ROI. The reason it could work is the purchase price is low (unlike those who purchase expensive Hawaii TS's to rent).

Your risks are being able to consistently reserve the good weeks for renting and general economic conditions.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My suggestion: Complete a few rentals and then decide if it something you want to do on a regular basis.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I have 10 timeshares. I clear more money from the rent than I get on my social security. I use the money to travel. We rarely stay in any of the timeshares I own, but use the money to rent from others rather than dealing with trades. Our timeshare visits are usually in spring or fall and I own summer and Christmas weeks so it is more lucrative to rent what I own and rent an off-season week from someone else. Sometimes we take a cruise instead or rent a big house for my kids for a family vacation during the holidays. I find operating with cash is a much better deal that using points or trading in Interval.

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
No would be a resale, a developer purchase would get me to presidential level but perks aren’t enough for me to do it. The units here in Spain are always in demand so would be going for one of them.

Is that strictly true? Fabtimeshare have loads of weeks listed as rentals but I've noticed many of them are still showing available up to a month before check-in. If you can't rent it out you lose other other options such as electing enrolled weeks or even putting into MRPs (not that I would do that anymore as poor return). So if left with it at the very last minute there's only Interval International but the later you deposit the weaker the week becomes in terms of trade value.

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on if you do go this route as have only rented my units twice since purchasing in 2002.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Always a gamble I guess, but feel I would rather buy a European week than a USA one.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Always a gamble I guess, but feel I would rather buy a European week than a USA one.
If you are buying to rent, don’t get emotionally attached to the resort. Check various resorts to see how much the week is renting above what the maintenance fees are. You may prefer European resorts but if the rental demand isn’t there, you might do better buying somewhere else.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
If you are buying to rent, don’t get emotionally attached to the resort. Check various resorts to see how much the week is renting above what the maintenance fees are. You may prefer European resorts but if the rental demand isn’t there, you might do better buying somewhere else.

I was going to say the same. If your goal is rental income, buy where you can make the most per transaction to make it worthwhile, while balancing what it costs to get in. I would rather do 5 transactions than 15 to make the same.