• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good Place to stay in Summer for good intro to PVR

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
A friend of mine, actually my financial advisor, wants to take a few days vacation in Puerto Vallarta this summer. What resort and location would be a good recommendation for her to stay. I would think on the beach near the Malecon, but I am not really that familiar with non timeshare resorts that would be good for a first timer just to get a feel for the area.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

atlantabusch

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
A friend of mine, actually my financial advisor, wants to take a few days vacation in Puerto Vallarta this summer. What resort and location would be a good recommendation for her to stay. I would think on the beach near the Malecon, but I am not really that familiar with non timeshare resorts that would be good for a first timer just to get a feel for the area.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

I am partial to Vidanta's Nuevo Vallarta property. Beach, great pools, awesome restaurants, etc. The Grand Luxxe level is a AAA 5 Diamond rated and the Grand Bliss level is not far behind. I am biased, because I own and rent there, but I bought there because the Vidanta experience is top notch for Mexico luxury resorts.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two summers ago spent a week in Nuevo Vallarta. Much preferred the in-town hotel location where I stayed before my week at Paradise Beach Club. (And my room there was fabulous.)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I have seen some good prices on VRBO for condos in PV - those would be great for less than a week and we have thought of trying to do that sometime to tie in with timeshare vacations. Some are in Old Town with ocean views. I would recommend Buganvilias because of the location. It is an easy walk to the Malecon area and on the bus routes. For just a few days , you would probably need to stay in the hotel part.

Last edited:

nomadio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Villa Premiere is fairly close to the malecon and gets good reviews.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Thanks for any help,
Mike

If you think she'd be okay with the Mayan Palace in the Marina, I've got several SFX certificates for 4 days/3 nights I think it is. Got them for depositing a week and renewing my membership, but don't plan on using them. I believe there's a $99 booking charge and it's for a 1 BR, but I'm not positive. If you want to pass them on, PM me and I'll email them. It's not the malecon, but the harbor is decent and a bus to the malecon is 10 pesos.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
None of the Vidanta resorts are anywhere "close" to the malecon, IMO. You certainly wouldn't want to walk it.
The closest timeshare, that I'm aware of would be the Sheraton Buganvilias. It's about 1.5 mile walk to the center of the malecon (probably another half mile to the end?)

If she wants anything closer, she'll need to rent a condo or something. I think next time we stay we may do that (1 week in Buganvilias and 3-4 nights at condo in old town).

All depends on how much local culture she wants to absorb, IMO.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Does she really want to go in the summer? My understanding is that the weather is very hot and humid. Vidanta GL all but shuts down in July and August according to our last concierge. Only two of the towers are open. His description of summer weather sounds miserable. Others who have been there then can weigh in!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Does she really want to go in the summer? My understanding is that the weather is very hot and humid. Vidanta GL all but shuts down in July and August according to our last concierge. Only two of the towers are open. His description of summer weather sounds miserable. ....weigh in!

HI Zen,
We have not been to PV later than mid April - which was good for us Canadians, where home is still
late winter / early spring . I understand May is just about as nice - but our climate gets better in May .

Mikenk lives in Texas & so his summer weather is similar to PV . He and family have vacationed at
Vidanta in the summer . I recall him posting positive comparison weather comments .

<IMO - One reason Vidanta is building Celebrate Park is to increase summer occupancy levels - with Mexican Nationals .
Once the toll road to Guadalajara is fully opened ; the 2nd largest metro area in Mexico / pop. 5 million - will be 3 hours away .>

MIke - We continue to like the PV - Marina area . It gives easy access to Centro via bus , while having
all the walk to restaurants in the marina .
Hotels : with beachfront
Marriott
Melia
the Westin (next door to the Mayan Palace -PV marina/* good promo option per Eric B)

It depends a bit on how much of an experienced world traveller your friend is .
I can still recall our first visit to PV in 2006 and how foreign everything seemed .

If beach and pool amenities are important - the above are all good .
as is Buginvilias that Phyllis suggested .

If tourist /immersion is more interesting to her - then the Malecon area or Old Town near Los Muertos Beach has some nice options
with a completely Centro location .

As hurnik & others said - it depends on: "how much local culture she wants to absorb" - (on a first visit).

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I’ve got to admit that we kind of like the summer weather in PV even with the heat/humidity. The only problem can be the low occupancy rates at some spots leading to them being closed. The marina MP did get closed for a few months last year in the summer; I believe they shifted folks exchanging in there to the GB in NV, which isn’t all bad but considerably different than the MP for access.

Vidanta is doing other things to drive up summer utilization. They’re starting up the cruises with split weeks between the ship and GL NV. Haven’t seen details on the program for that yet, but it looks nice in the brochure. That and the Parks are a great investment if they improve the occupancy rates.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Thanks guys,

I gave her links to both the Buganvilias and GM in PV. She should be able to take it from there. Eric, I told her that a friend could get her a certificate to use at the GM if interested. I will wait to hear back and send you a message if she wants to go that route. Thanks for offering.

Concerning going in the summer, that is the only time of the year that we can take one of my family units due to high school summer breaks; however, to be honest, we like it just about as well as the cooler climates. The negatives are hotter and humid (but not bad in evenings and mornings) and you have to work around rain which really are more of a nuisance than a deal breaker.

But there are positives, getting in and out of the pools are much more comfortable including the Lazy River that can be painful getting into in the winter. The ubiquitous pool bars are always right there and calling our names. The golf course is available anytime with no delays. Everything is largely open but the crowds are not as bad. The Mexican nationals go then so the resort is busy enough for everything to be open - but leisurely so. In our experience, the Mexican folks and particularly the kids are much better behaved and courteous. And of course, being from Texas, we're used to it and it is better than Dallas that time of year.

Mike

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like the heat but didn't think I liked the humidity. We were in Loreto in October and the temps were near 100 degrees with high humidity and it felt good too me.

Bill

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Great that it works for you and undoubtedly for others. Have never been in the summer but the concierges comments made me wonder about it and just hoped the OP's friend knew about it. But there is undoubtedly a benefit to it not being too crowded.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I like the heat but didn't think I liked the humidity. We were in Loreto in October and the temps were near 100 degrees with high humidity and it felt good too me.

Bill

For me, there is a clear point where humidity goes from being slightly uncomfortable to downright miserable. That point is when your clothes become and stay wet from perspiration - sometimes drenching wet. When you are playing golf, you have to change gloves every couple of holes and your glasses are covered with sweat and nothing to dry them. At that point I am heading to the 19th hole

That happens to me in South Florida and Houston area in the summer - but really not in PV - so I am good there.

Mike