• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is the MVCD new offer a good one for newbies?

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I am a recently new owner now of two resorts. I have a two bedroom unit at Grand Vista Gold and also a two at Shadow Ridge Enclave. Both weeks are EOY. When I called Marriott yesterday to have my units placed in II's space bank, the rep advised me to consider joining the DC now for free. I've only read a little on the program via TUG and I generally see many yays and nays. I don't see the value for me since I'm able to get two vacations by locking off my units with II. Can someone advise me as to whether this is a good deal or not for me? I bought both resorts resale. I'm retired and can travel anytime of year. I always book my own units via II without too many problems. I also own two units that a non-Marriott. I'm not sure how the points system works and will sit down and watch video later today. I normally vacation about 5 or more times per year using my weeks and getaways. Here is what they sent:

Learn Why Complimentary Enrollment is a Can't Miss Opportunity
Owners who reside in the United States are invited to join us to learn about the amazing benefits of becoming a member of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange Program. Attend a 45-minute webinar presentation from the convenience of your home. If you choose to enroll your eligible* week(s) into the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program, you will receive complimentary enrollment of your eligible weeks upon completion of the webinar.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I am a recently new owner now of two resorts. I have a two bedroom unit at Grand Vista Gold and also a two at Shadow Ridge Enclave. Both weeks are EOY. When I called Marriott yesterday to have my units placed in II's space bank, the rep advised me to consider joining the DC now for free. I've only read a little on the program via TUG and I generally see many yays and nays. I don't see the value for me since I'm able to get two vacations by locking off my units with II. Can someone advise me as to whether this is a good deal or not for me? I bought both resorts resale. I'm retired and can travel anytime of year. I always book my own units via II without too many problems. I also own two units that a non-Marriott. I'm not sure how the points system works and will sit down and watch video later today. I normally vacation about 5 or more times per year using my weeks and getaways. Here is what they sent:

Learn Why Complimentary Enrollment is a Can't Miss Opportunity
Owners who reside in the United States are invited to join us to learn about the amazing benefits of becoming a member of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange Program. Attend a 45-minute webinar presentation from the convenience of your home. If you choose to enroll your eligible* week(s) into the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program, you will receive complimentary enrollment of your eligible weeks upon completion of the webinar.

Generally speaking, in your case I don't see the points program as beneficial because your two properties do not elect into a lot of points. Thus, you would not be able to get the type of room during some seasons with the amount of points you would receive for you Grand Vista and Shadow Ridge Enclave's units. Trading through Interval International and getting the two weeks would be more beneficial. The only benefit I can see you getting with the points program would be no fees when you lock off your units with Interval. Also, you would not have to pay any membership fees for Interval either. However, there is a $200+ club fee.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I have never regretted enrolling all of our weeks in the DP and buying a lot of additional points. The flexibility of booking stays longer and shorter than a week has been such a boon to us. I can count on one hand the number of strictly 7-day stays we have had in the past 5-7 years. We can go down to Florida for a holiday weekend, we can stay for longer when we needed to match fights, we can book single nights when we have a special need, etc. If you're always going to travel for strictly 7 nights, or you're willing to lose nights if you only want to travel for, say, 5 nights, then maybe you don't need to enroll. But there's no real loss in enrolling - you still can keep your weeks for when you want them, you still can exchange through II if you want to do that (which always has been disappointing for me), all while gaining the ability to book part-week stays. For me, the free enrollment is as close to a no-brainer as you get in timeshare world.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
"Weeks purchased from third parties with a deed recording date prior to June 20, 2010 are eligible for this offer". Did you purchase prior to 2010?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
"Weeks purchased from third parties with a deed recording date prior to June 20, 2010 are eligible for this offer". Did you purchase prior to 2010?

The OP stated it was a recent purchase so I assumed it was after the June 2015.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree, you don't need to weigh anything because you aren't eligible to enroll without a $25,000+ (probably $35,000+) purchase of trust points. Watching the video won't make you eligible to enroll.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks so much for the information. My GV was purchased in July, 2018. The Shadow Ridge was recorded in December, 2018. The rep did advise me that both of my units quality for the DC program. She seemed to be pretty sure of herself. I'm leaning towards keeping my units with II to get two weeks of vacation for each timeshare.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thanks so much for the information. My GV was purchased in July, 2018. The Shadow Ridge was recorded in December, 2018. The rep did advise me that both of my units quality for the DC program. She seemed to be pretty sure of herself. I'm leaning towards keeping my units with II to get two weeks of vacation for each timeshare.
Post 2010 weeks cannot be enrolled without a purchase of trust points or inflated weeks. The CS rep is mistaken as there have bee. Instances of them telling resale owners that are not qualifies that they can enroll for frer.

If MVC allowed this, I would be all over it. But I am still waiting for that offer to enroll for a nominal fee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

You don’t give up your weeks if you enroll in the DC- so many people are confused about that!

When you enroll you pay a yearly membership fee to Marriott ( for me that is $205)
For that I get free membership in II ($99 savings), free lock off ($80?), free Marriott to Marriott exchanges ($200 per exchange, plus I don’t need to buy eplus because I can just cancel and exchange again for free). It’s all about the fee savings!

Each year you can stay in your home ownership exactly as it would be in not enrolled, or deposit and exchange on II exactly the same as if you are not enrolled, or elect points.
There is a skim if you elect points- you don’t get enough points to stay your home week. Simple solution- don’t elect points if you are doing week stays, just keep on exchanging on II.
If life warrants that you want to stay more or less than a week you may want to elect and use points- the flexibility is there- but you don’t have to use points. Yearly choice.

As others have said if you just bought resale weeks you can’t enroll for free, there would be some deal where you would have to pay full price for points in order to enroll.

Edit to add if you own other brands of ts or unenrolled weeks you would need to pay for another II membership for them and if you exchange to a non Marriott ts on II you do pay an exchange fee even for enrolled weeks.

Last edited:

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I just attended the video training webinar about a month ago hoping to get "free" enrollment, BUT, they are very strict about the post-June-2010 resale purchase date as qualifying. My unit closed Sept 2010, and it's a no-go. I believe the agent on the phone was mistaken. You may want to call back and ask another rep to confirm/clarify.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If it isn't a mistake by the agent then your the account might be improperly labeled at pre 2010 (sometimes that happens when an account is just set up), if it actually lets you enroll it would be caught within a week and unenrolled.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Did you buy your resale weeks from Marriott or directly from an owner?

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
I agree, you don't need to weigh anything because you aren't eligible to enroll without a $25,000+ (probably $35,000+) purchase of trust points. Watching the video won't make you eligible to enroll.

We bought 2250 ey in points and a week eoy at the beach club. Didnt spend 25 grand and was enrolled. We were also told to watch a video after which we would be able to enroll. If I remember correctly they schedule the time to watch. We ended up enrolling after talking to rep and never did watch the video.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I bought my GV as a resale from one of the companies listed on TUG. The Shadow Ridge Enclave was purchased on Ebay. I never travel for less than a week.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks so much for all of the updated information. I don't have to waste my time now watching the video.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We bought 2250 ey in points and a week eoy at the beach club. Didnt spend 25 grand and was enrolled. We were also told to watch a video after which we would be able to enroll. If I remember correctly they schedule the time to watch. We ended up enrolling after talking to rep and never did watch the video.
You didn't spend $25,000 for 2250 in DC points and an eoy week the KBC? What did you pay?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

If you enroll your weeks (although I am fairly certain that your rep has misinformed you that your weeks are eligible), you will save the fee for splitting your weeks for your exchanges and you will get a "free" Interval membership.

The fine print is that you will still need to pay for a separate Interval membership if you want to exchange your non-enrolled weeks -- and there is an annual fee of about $200 to remain in the Destinations Club.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
You didn't spend $25,000 for 2250 in DC points and an eoy week the KBC? What did you pay?

Dave we actually were over 25. For some reason I was thinking it was lower. Combining the week with the points I think ended up being a decent deal.