• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cost to Buy Your Kid's Way Into The Best Universities

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Then there is THIS way:
Felicity Huffman among dozens charged over admissions fraud at top US schools

Scheme helped wealthy Americans buy their children’s way into elite universities including Yale, Georgetown and Stanford

Jamiles Lartey in New Orleans and agencies

@JamilesLartey
Tue 12 Mar 2019 16.49 EDTFirst published on Tue 12 Mar 2019 11.13 EDT

Felicity Huffman was one of 33 parents charged. Photograph: Mario Anzuoni/Reuters
US federal prosecutors have charged Hollywood actors Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, along with almost 50 other people, over a $25m scheme to help wealthy Americans buy their children’s way into elite universities including Yale, Georgetown, Stanford and the University of Southern California.

Two hundred FBI agents were involved in the investigation, dubbed “Operation Varsity Blues”, which exposed how parents bribed college coaches and insiders at testing centers to get their children into some of the most elite schools in the country, federal prosecutors said on Tuesday.

William “Rick” Singer, 58, was charged by federal prosecutors in Boston with running the racketeering scheme through his Edge College & Career Network, which served a roster of clients including chief executives and Hollywood actors.

Thirty-three parents, including Huffman and Loughlin, were charged, as well as 13 college sports coaches and associates of Singer’s business. Dozens, including Huffman, were arrested by midday in what authorities called a “conspiracy nationwide in scope”.

“These parents are a catalog of wealth and privilege,” Andrew Lelling, the US attorney for the district of Massachusetts, said in a press conference on Tuesday morning. “Based on the charges unsealed today, all of them knowingly conspired with Singer and others to … buy their children’s admission to elite schools through fraud.”

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who are Lori Loughlin’s daughters?
Loughlin, best known for Full House and Fuller House, and Mossimo Giannulli have two daughters, Isabella Rose and Olivia Jade.

Olivia Jade came under fire for her privileged comments about college
Last year, Olivia’s privileged comments about going to college drew a lot of criticism, as she declared she was more interested in parties than schoolwork.

In answering a fan’s question about her college plans, Olivia noted:

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying… I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”​

As my kids used to say: "At least she's pretty"

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm horrified by the actions of those actors. I like Lori Loughlin on the various shows now, as well as William Macy, Huffman's husband. It will be interesting to hear their defenses and punishments, if convicted.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I find astonishing are the coaches at these institutions who accepted the bribes. So was it worth it. Pick any one. Those are dream jobs for people in those positions. And they just threw it all away.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband called me this afternoon if I paid UC Berkeley or somebody to get my son in there more than a decade ago. :mad:

For those of you who have not been following my posts, my son has a learning disability and he is highly intelligent.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What I find astonishing are the coaches at these institutions who accepted the bribes. So was it worth it. Pick any one. Those are dream jobs for people in those positions. And they just threw it all away.
Sports? Questionable ethics? ... Say it ain't so, Joe!

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
:mad:This made me livid today! My kids work really hard at both sports and academics and this is so unfair! I hope these people get severely punished!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:mad:This made me livid today! My kids work really hard at both sports and academics and this is so unfair! I hope these people get severely punished!
The charges are wire fraud, mail fraud & money laundering. They will most likely plead down to a misdemeanor with a hefty fine, but i hope their yung'uns get bounced to the back of the line again.

Last edited:

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Oh, but it makes so much sense! Finally, the dots are connected! There are a few known universities which seem to attract more than their share of celeb kids. These are schools which we like to believe have high standards. I mean, we all know how hard it is to get into them...and, suddenly, it all makes so much sense. *smh*

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Who are Lori Loughlin’s daughters?
Loughlin, best known for Full House and Fuller House, and Mossimo Giannulli have two daughters, Isabella Rose and Olivia Jade.

Olivia Jade came under fire for her privileged comments about college
Last year, Olivia’s privileged comments about going to college drew a lot of criticism, as she declared she was more interested in parties than schoolwork.

In answering a fan’s question about her college plans, Olivia noted:

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying… I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”​

As my kids used to say: "At least she's pretty"

I can't imagine why such an articulate kid couldn't get admitted on her own merit./S

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine why such an articulate kid couldn't get admitted on her own merit./S
Gift of the gab is different from academic intellect and willingness to work hard for the results.

It is like the reverse of my son. He has academic intellect but is unable to find the right words or response due to his language developmental learning disability.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Believe it or not deserving kids that work hard, have the rights grades, etc can get admitted to these schools. I and solid middle class. Son #1 started at Caltech but after 2 years they told him to take some time off and grow up. Second son graduated from Harvard. Daughter graded from Dartmouth. We had no hooks or money for bribes.

I also know many outstanding people that graduated from state colleges/universities. I am one.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm horrified by the actions of those actors. I like Lori Loughlin on the various shows now, as well as William Macy, Huffman's husband. It will be interesting to hear their defenses and punishments, if convicted.

How about all those CEOs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How about all those CEOs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope their contracts have morals clauses so when they have to take a hit for a plea, they will have to answer to the BOD.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The real question: why did Felicity Huffman feel the need to make herself not look like herself anymore? They kept saying her name and it took me several breaking news cycles to figure out they were showing her picture too.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gift of the gab is different from academic intellect and willingness to work hard for the results.

It is like the reverse of my son. He has academic intellect but is unable to find the right words or response due to his language developmental learning disability.
I agree and was being somewhat sarcastic - any person whose stated university goal is to party is not deserving of the spot, in my book.

Btw, I too have a kid (now an adult) that had a profound speech delay. She has 10 years of speech therapy under her belt. She went through elementary and middle school on an IEP but we pulled her out of the program for high school because I thought that she could be successful without the IEP. I was right about everything except foreign language which really wreaked havoc on her GPA. In the end she had a great university experience at a state school and is now an administrator for a resident camp. 20 years ago we didn't know if she would ever speak!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Believe it or not deserving kids that work hard, have the rights grades, etc can get admitted to these schools. I and solid middle class. Son #1 started at Caltech but after 2 years they told him to take some time off and grow up. Second son graduated from Harvard. Daughter graded from Dartmouth. We had no hooks or money for bribes.

I also know many outstanding people that graduated from state colleges/universities. I am one.
I can't imagine if my kid was waitlisted at one of the schools in the investigation and lost a spot to one of those kids. I'd be plenty upset.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Reading the indictment:
8. The Key Worldwide Foundation (“KWF”) is a non-profit corporation founded in or about 2012 and based in Newport Beach, California. In or about 2013, the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) approved KWF as an exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, meaning that KWF is exempt from paying federal income tax, and that individuals who contribute to KWF may deduct those contributions from their taxable income, subject to certain limitations.

IRS! - Ruhh Rohhh!

ETA: Looks like they will only have to amend any filed returns and pay tax and penalties on previous years returns.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
I was so angry when I heard this! Both sons played a college sport, worked tremendously hard at athletics and academics. This is a case of "helicopter parenting" at its finest!
These kids never deserved to be admitted on athletic ability or in some cases academic ability. All administrators/admissions counselors/coaches "on the take" should be immediately dismissed!:mad: Expel the kids also!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
GREED!:mad::p