• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Ocean -- Ease of renting?

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to add a Grande Ocean (or other Hilton Head) platinum week to my MVC portfolio. I haven't been to Hilton Head, but think it would be a great spot for an annual family beach trip (especially as our kids get a little older and can enjoy the biking and other activities). The reality is that we won't be able to travel there every summer, and on those occasions my plan would be to try to rent out the week. This leads me to the purpose of this post...

Is the rental market for summer Grande Ocean weeks pretty robust?

Are there specific weeks that are easier to rent out than others?

Is there a different Hilton Head MVC resort that I should consider that would be easier to rent out (at, or ideally a fair bit above, maintenance fees)?

Looking at Redweek, I get a pretty good sense of the going rate for summer weeks, but the sheer volume of rentals listed (hundreds) gives me pause that perhaps it may be difficult to rent out.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a different Hilton Head MVC resort that I should consider that would be easier to rent out (at, or ideally a fair bit above, maintenance fees)?

Call Marriott Rental Department and tell them that you are looking to rent a Summer Week at one of the HHI Resorts and ask a lot of questions. If you are clever this will probably get you the answer to your question...

George

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is alot of listings because it is a hugely popular resort. If you don't price it obscenely you will always be able to rent a good GO summer week and fall week for that matter.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel you can rent any week at GO from late May to October with out any problems.

I would let the resort reviews rent/sell my week IMHO. Outstanding resort in a great location.

I would also looked at the Marriott’ Barony and the Marriott’s Monarch resorts.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I have owned on HHI since 1995. Summer HHI will always have a robust rental market because families drive to it from all along the east coast, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Driving instead of having to fly makes it more affordable and allows for both planning and last minute decisions. Savannah and Charleston airports have expanded over the years and are easy drives to HHI if one wants to fly.

I own a fixed week n July and one in August. July in HHI is more crowded. July is the month that all schools from the above places have summer vacation in common. Each week in August has more and more schools starting back up.

I have successfully rented one or both of my Monarch weeks every year I tried. My July week I rented the last 6 years. This year I traded the studio of a lock off into the Grand Ocean for August and rented both my Monarch weeks. I am using the GO week.

I use my rental to turn my maintenance fees into 40 to 70 percent more of dollars for vacation spend. This year my 3600 MF turned into 5600 of vacation spend. It is funding an Iceland trip. Cash will give you the ultimate flexibility for vacationing. Depending on what percent above MF you expect and where you own, summer HHI should be rentable every year.

To your question where to own, I would only purchase at the Monarch or Grand Ocean. This is my opinion because the Sea Pines area is the most family friendly (to me). The Monarch only sleeps 6 which limits its appeal but the people who I have rented too, only rent at the Monarch. Fixed week has an advantage if you have a good view because you can post it so a renter can see it, I own a 4th floor ocean front and one 3 units away the has a great ocean view. This helps. This all being said, taking into account everything, go with the Grand Ocean.

Full disclosure....I only stay at the Grand Ocean or Monarch so my experience is basis.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Wahoo - HHI is fantastic during platinum season for use, rental, or II exchange. While I have not owned or rented these weeks, most have reasonable MFs vs rental opportunity based on others feedback. All are hard to exchange into via II during summer. If concerned on rental, suggest you stick with Grande Ocean, Barony, Surfwatch, or Monarch. All on the beach. As indicated, Grande Ocean and Monarch are in the Sea Pines, which adds direct access to great biking, etc. Monarch has fixed week/fixed units, but is a little older that the others and accommodates fewer in a 2BR (6 max). I would imagine accommodating only 6 vs 8, might be a rental downside. Although, there are many die hards for Monarch...to go year in and year out...whether owners or renters. Surfwatch also has 3BR (no lockoff) if interested. Likely a little more MFs, but also a little more rental perhaps since it can accommodate more people. The only reason we don't own HHI (yet) is that the resorts have no lock-offs (a downside from my view). Only risk in summer rental...would be hurricane season. My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Thanks for the advice! It puts my mind at ease that renting should be possible.

Prior to everyone's input above, it was rather intimidating looking at the Redweek rental listings for Grande Ocean... there are 116 rentals currently listed for July 2019 check-in dates, which made the competition and probability of a week going unrented seem formidable.

Do you all have luck renting on Redweek, or do you use a different platform when you rent?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Prior to everyone's input above, it was rather intimidating looking at the Redweek rental listings for Grande Ocean... there are 116 rentals currently listed for July 2019 check-in dates, which made the competition and probability of a week going unrented seem formidable.

Do you all have luck renting on Redweek, or do you use a different platform when you rent?

You have to decide what above MF you want out of a rental. If others have it listed 3000 but you are okay with 2700, I would list it as that. Minimizing my time thinking about it is worth something to me.

The first thing I do is send an email to everyone who rented to from me in the past letting them know I will be renting the unit. I normally do this in November. No one has ever been upset with me being proactive. I reach out again two weeks before I put it on Redweek. I do get repeat renters. I put in on Redweek in January. I have always rented from Redweek once it gets to redweek. This year I am putting it on a a local town FB group. I am part of a FB travel group that has 60K members. If I am allowed, I will put it on there.

There is a HHI facebook group. I might list it there.

Last edited:

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Actually, I believe the fact there are numerous listing is a positive, it means there is a very active rental market on Redweek for that resort. Remember GO will most likely be sold out every week in July. As others have mentioned, if you price in appropriately it will rent without any problem.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
As indicated, Grande Ocean and Monarch are in the Sea Pines, which adds direct access to great biking, etc.

Grande Ocean is actually just outside the Sea Pines gate, but only about a half mile. It's an easy and quite beautiful bike ride
into Sea Pines, and GO gives you a vehicle or bike pass when you check in, good for the duration, which is a wonderful perk.
Passes for everyone else have now increased to $8 per vehicle per day.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned on HHI since 1995. Summer HHI will always have a robust rental market because families drive to it from all along the east coast, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Driving instead of having to fly makes it more affordable and allows for both planning and last minute decisions. Savannah and Charleston airports have expanded over the years and are easy drives to HHI if one wants to fly.

I own a fixed week n July and one in August. July in HHI is more crowded. July is the month that all schools from the above places have summer vacation in common. Each week in August has more and more schools starting back up.

I have successfully rented one or both of my Monarch weeks every year I tried. My July week I rented the last 6 years. This year I traded the studio of a lock off in the Grand Ocean for August and rented both my Monarch weeks. I am using the GO week.

I use my rental to turn my maintenance fees into 40 to 70 percent more of dollars for vacation spend. This year my 3600 MF turned into 5600 of vacation spend. It is funding an Iceland trip. Cash will give you the ultimate flexibility for vacationing. Depending on what percent above MF you expect and where you own, summer HHI should be rentable every year.

To your question where to own, I would only purchase at the Monarch or Grand Ocean. This is my opinion because Sea Pines area is the most family friendly (to me). The Monarch only sleeps 6 which limits its appeal but the people who I have rented too, only rent at the Monarch. Fixed week has an advantage if you have a good view because you can post it so a renter can see it, I own a 4th floor ocean front and one 3 units away the has a great ocean view. This helps. This all being said, taking into account everything, go with the Grand Ocean.

Full disclosure....I only stay at the Grand Ocean or Monarch so my experience is basis.
How were you able to do this? My understanding is that there are no lockoff studios on Hilton Head?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How were you able to do this? My understanding is that there are no lockoff studios on Hilton Head?

Changed the word “in” to “into” in the sentence “traded the studio of a lock off into the Grand Ocean” to make the sentence less confusing. The combination of typing on an iPad, failing eyesight and The grammar I learned in the Bronx.

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
As a rule, my summer (any July week) Grande Ocean units have always rented the easiest/quickest.
That's good to hear. How do you usually go about renting them? Redweek?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I think Grande Ocean is a resort in the summer which families go to every year. Especially those in East Coast within driving distance. As such, doesn’t surprise me at all to see repeat renters for GO in summer. We know other friends who rent annually. While it may be cheaper for them to own, they prefer to rent.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you think the risk is that resale GO is worth less in 10 years than than what they are selling for now?

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
What do you think the risk is that resale GO is worth less in 10 years than than what they are selling for now?
I personally think the risk is fairly high, owing to the never-ending 3-5% annual maintenance fee increases. At some point those become unsustainable. Despite that, I'm planning on purchasing one.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally think the risk is fairly high, owing to the never-ending 3-5% annual maintenance fee increases. At some point those become unsustainable. Despite that, I'm planning on purchasing one.

I was actually wondering if it could be used as an investment considering it seems like you could rent it for $1500 over maintenance fees.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I was actually wondering if it could be used as an investment considering it seems like you could rent it for $1500 over maintenance fees.

Most likely, as with any timeshare, the resale purchase value will decline over time.

Maintenance fees will also continue to increase, between 3-5% annually. Only risk in HHI is for a hurricane which would cause an additional MF assessment.

With that said, I do think GO summer is and will continue to be a strong rental now and in future.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I bought a Grande Ocean Platinum week 4 years ago and have rented it every year. I’ve rented a Sept week from another owner because that works best for my schedule. I always reserve July weeks and they’ve rented $2800-3200 each year. I book at 12 months out and immediately list it on Redweek. I hope that helps.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a Grande Ocean Platinum week 4 years ago and have rented it every year. I’ve rented a Sept week from another owner because that works best for my schedule. I always reserve July weeks and they’ve rented $2800-3200 each year. I book at 12 months out and immediately list it on Redweek. I hope that helps.
Which option on Redweek do you generally use? Self, Verified or Full Service? I am assuming very few use Full Service.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Which option on Redweek do you generally use? Self, Verified or Full Service? I am assuming very few use Full Service.
I use the Verified service but opt out of “Protected” because I want to control the money.