• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco - I'm blaming TUG

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
LOL. We did the same. Moved our 55 to the BR and got a new 65 to replace it. In retrospect a new 75 would have been better! I probably should stay out of Costco until this urge goes away!!

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I found Costco car rental to almost always be the cheapest.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The Costco in Salem is less than 3 miles from our House. So we treat it as a grocery store with good free samples. Fred Meyer (Kroger) is 2 miles so not a lot of travel distance difference. Unfortunately Costco is trying to build at a new location which will add a mile each way. But it will be a lot larger and more than double the gas pumps. If you are ever in SLC visit the Costco. It is the largest in North America. Has whole pigs (like Hawaii), half a beef, etc.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...His brother and SIL from Erie/Edinboro, Pennsylvania stayed with us for a couple of days earlier this week and one of the highlights of their stay was a trip to Costco. The closest Costco is over an hour away from them and they had never been to one before but have friends who rave about Costco so were excited to go.
I am surrounded by four Costco's. One is 50 min. away, one 55 min. away, a third is an hour away, and a fourth is an hour an 5 min. away. I think that they are running out of locations about an hour away. I am convinced that this was how they chose their locations. Still I joined and about once every six weeks my wife and I make a Costco run.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Re: Costco Vodka: I'm being told that Costco sells two types of Kirkland-branded vodka. The "Premium" variety is the one associated with Grey Goose. The "American" vodka is not, and is not nearly as good as the Premium. If it matters to you, buy the Premium.

Dave

We have talked to Costo Managers involved with the Ordering/Managing of Alcohol Sales. None of the Costco Vodka is distilled by Grey Goose. Heck Grey Goose does not even distill their own Vodka.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Absolutely. We are driving from Michigan to Myrtle Beach in June. Instead of taking 2 cars to fit our family of 5 and all of our gear, we are renting a Suburban for the trip. We are paying $770 for 11 days and that includes tax and fees. Awesome deal.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Their tequila is very good. For $28, you get 1.75 L of very good tequila. It’s on par with Patron Anejo ($80 for a 5th). Pop it in the freezer and you can sip it straight like scotch!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I was a Price Club member in Canada. When I first moved to Texas 23 years ago I had to suffer 7 years without a Costco, as TX did not have them back in the late 1990s through early 2000s. Thank goodness they are hear now.

There is a store about 20 minutes from me, it was badly flooded in Hurricane Harvey and the entire contents and furnishings of the store had to be ripped out and thrown away. I really missed it when it was closed for 5 months for repairs.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I used to find this. But lately I've been getting pricing by registering the rental I find on Costco with AutoSlash.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Daaaaaave, are you being an enabler too? You are so bad! Lol.

Yes we did get the executive membership and the Costco credit card too.
Getting my rebate check bzackthis week for being an "Executive" member. Dave is right.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Wow, I can remember when it was called Price Club, that was many, many years ago or maybe decades ago.

Plus, I liked Costco because it treats their employees well. IMO.
It was Price Club versus CostCo and they merged in the late 80's/early 90's. Costco had better food and Price Club had better large ticket items.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I have a Costco about a mile from me. It sells gas about 10 to 20 cents a gallon cheaper than the local gas stations.
But it does not sell any hard liquor, only beer and wine. There is an independent liquor store attached to it, but they are expensive and do not sell Kirkland brand.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
But it does not sell any hard liquor, only beer and wine. There is an independent liquor store attached to it, but they are expensive and do not sell Kirkland brand.

That has to do with your state liquor laws. TX is the same NO Liquor only wine and beer. However other states it is different, I know that LA, NV, SC do sell liquor.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Back in the 70's, Sol Price and Jim Sinegal were executives at FedMart, a membership shopping club. I shopped at their San Diego locations. My memory is that it cost $1 for a forever membership to FedMart, (although that may have been at Memco and Gemco stores, and the FedMart membership may have been free.) FedMart had excellent values, and was a great place to shop. (If memory serves, FedMart was later sold and became Target. Don't quote me - I could be wrong about that.) After both men moved on from FedMart, Sol Price opened Price Club, and Jim Sinegal opened Costco. They were friendly competitors who operated in different locations, but had similar business models. Several years later Costco bought Price Club, and for a time the merged storefronts had a combined name of Price-Costco. During that time, Costco determined which Price Club and Costco locations were less profitable, and they closed a number of warehouses. Eventually, the name was changed again, to become the Costco brand it is today. They've never looked back.

My marriage notwithstanding, the last 40 years of my life without Costco would have been very different. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That has to do with your state liquor laws. TX is the same NO Liquor only wine and beer. However other states it is different, I know that LA, NV, SC do sell liquor.

Washington State was the same. Jim Sinegal took it personally, and Costco spent MILLION$$$ fighting them, to allow local stores to sell hard liquor. It finally went to a voter ballot on a statewide level, and the voters won. There are still private liquor stores, and Washington state taxes are high on alcohol compared to other states, but Costco and local grocery stores now sell hard liquor here, at prices well below what the State-run stores used to sell it for. Competition in the marketplace is a good thing.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The Costco in Salem is less than 3 miles from our House. So we treat it as a grocery store with good free samples. Fred Meyer (Kroger) is 2 miles so not a lot of travel distance difference. Unfortunately Costco is trying to build at a new location which will add a mile each way. But it will be a lot larger and more than double the gas pumps. If you are ever in SLC visit the Costco. It is the largest in North America. Has whole pigs (like Hawaii), half a beef, etc.

Salem's Costco warehouse opened in 1992, when the whole area was probably a lot less developed, and a lot of warehouses were in leased buildings. Costco's convenient locations can be a victim of their own popularity. Local warehouse relocations are usually due to shopper demand for more merchandise, more cash registers, better gas stations, and more parking. If the current warehouse is too small, it's more cost effective to build an entirely new building, with updated facilities and features, and close the smaller one or give up the old leased location. If Salem has grown to the point of them needing a larger location, it's a sign your warehouse is doing well. It'll be worth it. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am surrounded by four Costco's. One is 50 min. away, one 55 min. away, a third is an hour away, and a fourth is an hour an 5 min. away. I think that they are running out of locations about an hour away. I am convinced that this was how they chose their locations. Still I joined and about once every six weeks my wife and I make a Costco run.

Costco started with locations based on local populations and availability for easy access. That's why most are located along freeways and major streets. Here in Washington, along the I-5 corridor, they have a warehouse roughly every 25 miles. In larger cities like Seattle, they have locations located in more populated urban areas, because that's where the shoppers live. I think they know if you have to drive too far to get to a warehouse, you're more likely to shop with other businesses instead. It's a carefully planned thing.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are fortunate (Costco-wise). Our smallish 50,000 lol city is the shopping magnet for a gigantic, though sparsely peopled area that touches 4 states. If you live on a cattle or sheep ranch or have a gold mine in Northern Nevada, central Idaho, Western Montana, N.E. Cal or Oregon, it might be 300 miles of 2 track dirt road, but if you need a new pickup, or a freezer, or grub to feed hungry sheep or cattlemen, you'll find yourself at Costco in Twin Falls. Rubbing shoulders with the movie stars and billionaires just in with their jets to Sun Valley, 70 miles up the road. You never know who you'll run into. For us, though it's about a 7-10 minute drive (if we can find a parking place).

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We are fortunate (Costco-wise). Our smallish 50,000 lol city is the shopping magnet for a gigantic, though sparsely peopled area that touches 4 states. If you live on a cattle or sheep ranch or have a gold mine in Northern Nevada, central Idaho, Western Montana, N.E. Cal or Oregon, it might be 300 miles of 2 track dirt road, but if you need a new pickup, or a freezer, or grub to feed hungry sheep or cattlemen, you'll find yourself at Costco in Twin Falls. Rubbing shoulders with the movie stars and billionaires just in with their jets to Sun Valley, 70 miles up the road. You never know who you'll run into. For us, though it's about a 7-10 minute drive (if we can find a parking place).

Jim

The Twin Falls warehouse is in a great location, and is a nice, well-run warehouse. We stop there each time we're heading through town.

Dave

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
The only thing keeping me from living full time in Hilton Head is the lack of a Costco! It's been rumored for years, but who knows.
Back in the 70's, Sol Price and Jim Sinegal were executives at FedMart, a membership shopping club. I shopped at their San Diego locations. My memory is that it cost $1 for a forever membership to FedMart, (although that may have been at Memco and Gemco stores, and the FedMart membership may have been free.) FedMart had excellent values, and was a great place to shop. (If memory serves, FedMart was later sold and became Target. Don't quote me - I could be wrong about that.) After both men moved on from FedMart, Sol Price opened Price Club, and Jim Sinegal opened Costco. They were friendly competitors who operated in different locations, but had similar business models. Several years later Costco bought Price Club, and for a time the merged storefronts had a combined name of Price-Costco. During that time, Costco determined which Price Club and Costco locations were less profitable, and they closed a number of warehouses. Eventually, the name was changed again, to become the Costco brand it is today. They've never looked back.

My marriage notwithstanding, the last 40 years of my life without Costco would have been very different. :)

Dave

I can claim getting to shop at FedMart as a child too. My favorite part...the giant long and skinny bag of freshly popped popcorn for 35 cents that my mom would buy for us to keep us occupied. She was allowed to get a membership at the time as she was taking classes at a California State college....membership was limited to federal and state employees (plus state college students apparently).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Their tequila is very good. For $28, you get 1.75 L of very good tequila. It’s on par with Patron Anejo ($80 for a 5th). Pop it in the freezer and you can sip it straight like scotch!

We do not buy Tequila unless it is smooth enough to drink straight like Good Whisky.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of those people who dislikes alcohol. It disturbs my sleep as it makes me sleep for an hour and lay there awake for the rest of the night. Drinking alcohol usually gives me a headache too. I guess I should be thankful that it saves us some money although my husband drinks on my behalf. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am one of those people who dislikes alcohol. It disturbs my sleep as it makes me sleep for an hour and lay there awake for the rest of the night. Drinking alcohol usually gives me a headache too. I guess I should be thankful that it saves us some money although my husband drinks on my behalf. :)

You're not alone. I am not a non-drinker, but I may as well be. Calling me a social drinker is a stretch. If I order a beer with dinner at a restaurant, I usually leave about half of the glass leftover when we leave. And that's on the rare occasion when I do order something. I'm a lousy partier, but I'm a great designated driver. My friends and family love me for that. :)

Dave

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're not alone. I am not a non-drinker, but I may as well be. Calling me a social drinker is a stretch. If I order a beer with dinner at a restaurant, I usually leave about half of the glass leftover when we leave. And that's on the rare occasion when I do order something. I'm a lousy partier, but I'm a great designated driver. My friend and family love me for that. :)

Dave
Yep, designated driver, that's me. I do all driving when out with our friends in the evening.