• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Real ID driver license

uop1497

Reaction score
My driver license will expired in April, 2021. Does anyone know if I come to DMV to apply for a Real Driver license now, will DMV personnel let me. And will the expiration date extended further or will it be the same.

DH is required to apply for Real Driver license since his expiration date is April , 2019. He also has an appoinment with DMV this month, I am thinking to tag along and apply at the same time with him, but not sure if I am allowed.

The cost is $36 for him to get his new Real Driver license, not sure how much it will cost in my case, probably $36 too. Has anyone here applied for the real Driver license before yours is expired . I mean the one which you can use to fly domestic flight which is required in 2020.

If you do, please share your experience.

Thank you

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
DHS swears there will be no more extensions. I mean the States have only had since 2002 to get their act together. We gave up on Oregon and got Passport Cards last time we renewed our Passports.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It doesn't look like there is any restriction to applying for the real id early. However, I don't think you can just tag along with your husband. According tomthe DMV website for California you need an appointment. You also need to be sure you bring all of the proper paperwork. You can find all of this information on the DMV website.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
In the past 2 weeks, I went to the Ca. CMV and got a Real ID. So did my wife. My license expires next year. My wife's expires in February.

She was able to renew her Drivers License and get the Real ID.

I was not. So, I now have a real ID but in 14 months (April 2020), I'll need to renew my DL.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I was wrong. You can only renew your license 60 days ahead of sxpiration.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My current old-style DL doesn't expire until 2025.
For a real-ID, DMV says I need a replacement (not a renewal).

My DL uses my photo from 10 years ago (2009), so it's due.
After all, the photo's not growing older as I age (but I am).

Last edited:

uop1497

Reaction score
Thank you ALL for your inputs. If there is no extended of expiration date when apply for REAL ID, I will wait until near the time of my driver license expired date.

May I ask, will the passport card serve as a real paper passport for international travel. If so, I would like to get one.

Another question, we just come back from a trip from Singapore. I asked DH to check the small carry on bag to make sure we do not have any fruits left in it since I bought some baby banana ( the size of my index finger) to eat while we have a day there. Somehow, he missed one of pocket where I place 1 baby banana in there . He handed to me one baby banana and when I did not feel to eat at the time .

When we landed at SFO, we know for sure we do not have any fruit with us. At least I thought so, since I ask DH to check our carry one bag a few times before we heading to airport to fly home. We use the global kiosk to clear immigration. When I stood and waiting for our bag, DH sat on the wheel chair . The airport dog sniff our bag and the lady officer found 1 baby banana in the small pocket of the same carryone bag which DH suppose to make sure no fruit in it. So, our entire luggages have to be X-Ray and they did not find anything else. I asked the algricuture officer that if we will get a fine, I was told no. However, I am not 100% sure and hope we do not end up with a big fine by mail later. I feel very embarress and got mad at DH since I asked him a few times to check the bag. If he has pulled out everything in the bag to check, he will see it for sure. But he just openned to check with our clothes and other items in it, so he missed that 1 baby banana. As a result , we spent another extra hour at the airport waiting for our bag to be hand search and X-Ray.

I now wonder if we have a bad mark in our record. If it is, I have only DH to blame . If so, does anyone know how long it may take it to clear from our passport record.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Just remember, the name on your Social Security record must match exactly like the name on your current driver's license for a Real ID Driver's License. I found that out the hard way!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
May I ask, will the passport card serve as a real paper passport for international travel. If so, I would like to get one....
Another question... The airport dog sniff our bag and the lady officer found 1 baby banana in the small pocket of the same carryone bag which DH suppose to make sure no fruit in it. So, our entire luggages have to be X-Ray and they did not find anything else. I asked the algricuture officer that if we will get a fine, I was told no.

Passport cards are only good for land+sea crossings w-Canada-Mexico-Caribbean-Bermuda,
and for domestic air travel. It cannot be used for international air travel.

A small item easily forgotten+overlooked is unlikely to mean a fine or other repercussions.
A bag of mangos prolly would.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Virginia you also need to bring in your birth certificate .

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My driver license will expired in April, 2021. Does anyone know if I come to DMV to apply for a Real Driver license now, will DMV personnel let me. And will the expiration date extended further or will it be the same.

Why not request a replacement for a lost DL? I recently had to do it in Texas. Did it online and it cost $11.00. I have no clue if it is a "Real DL" but the one they sent me does have a yellow circle with a star in its middle in the upper right hand corner...

George

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I refused to go to the CA DMV and wait in those crazy lines for a real id, I renewed my license in Dec for 5 year via internet. I just mailed in my passport for renewal and paid the extra for the card.

I just took a flight yesterday and asked the TSA agent about my DL, he said it looked fine, I dont think they are aware of this real ID BS. He put it under the ultraviolet light and some kind of holograph showed up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Boy having a little fruit is not a big deal. Last year we were flying out of PDX. Patti puts her carry on and purse through the X-ray machine. The TSA Agent asks Patti if she forgot to take something out of her purse. Patti in all innocence say no. The Agent let's her look at the image of her purse. Big as life there is a fully loaded magazine for a Ruger LCP II (no gun). We both have CCW's. So now we have to wait while they call the Port of Portland Police. Patti worked Airport Security 40 years ago while in college and was a Salem Police Officer for 4 years after college. Patti is very embrassed. The Port Police arrive - 2 very nice guys. We talk about the LCP II and why it is better than the LCP. They tell Patti she has 2 choices: 1. They will mail to our home for $15; or 2. She can leave the secure area with the Magazine and take it back to our car. They said with either choice we would lose the bullets. The flight was delayed so Patti chose to take it back to the car. The did comment on what good quality of bullets we used as they were removing them.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My driver license will expired in April, 2021. Does anyone know if I come to DMV to apply for a Real Driver license now, will DMV personnel let me. And will the expiration date extended further or will it be the same..... Has anyone here applied for the real Driver license before yours is expired . I mean the one which you can use to fly domestic flight which is required in 2020.

Thank you

I imagine policies vary from state to state. As far as Wisconsin goes, I did this. No problem getting a new license. (I think that would have to be true for any state. After all, what if you lost your license? They would have to have some way to get a new one.) I was disappointed, however, that they did not extend the expiration date. Again, though, I cannot speak for all states. Call you DMV and see what they say.

lvkcwalker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Per the TSA agents we have spoken with in multiple locations, if you have a valid Passport (or the Passport Card) a REAL ID DL is not required. If you have a valid Govt issued ID (i.e. Military issued ID) you also do not need REAL ID DL. Pennsylvania does not require us to change to REAL ID; it is optional. Our Passports and/or Retired Military and Spouse ID's are also considered REAL ID's.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I just took a flight yesterday and asked the TSA agent about my DL, he said it looked fine, I dont think they are aware of this real ID BS. He put it under the ultraviolet light and some kind of holograph showed up.

A REAL ID driver's license will have a star in the upper right hand corner. If it is not a REAL ID and it is new, it will have some verbiage such as "Not for Federal ID purposes" or "Federal Limitations".

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Bottom line is, you need to check the rules and regulations in YOUR state. The DMV (or whatever the agency is in your state) will tell you exactly what paperwork you need and the process required to get the real ID, driver's license, or whatever. Both dh and my license expire next year, just a few months AFTER the deadline for the real id. So we will both go in and get the real ids at that time.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons

DH is required to apply for Real Driver license since his expiration date is April , 2019. He also has an appoinment with DMV this month, I am thinking to tag along and apply at the same time with him, but not sure if I am allowed.

The cost is $36 for him to get his new Real Driver license, not sure how much it will cost in my case, probably $36 too. Has anyone here applied for the real Driver license before yours is expired . I mean the one which you can use to fly domestic flight which is required in 2020.

Thank you
I just took my son to DMV here in the Bay Area to get his permit. I had an appointment and it took two hours. I took my passport, his passport, two pieces of mail. But the UPS package label we had for him was not valid. The envelope which was addressed to him was not valid. I had to produce an Xfinity bill and my 1099-form that I just received for my taxes. BUT, I did not have his Social Security card. Looked at my phone and got my 1040 from last year to produce his Social Security number.....Thus, he did not get a REAL Driver's permit. I need to find his Social Security card. If you have lost your's, mine was stolen when my wallet was lifted, you need to order one from the Social Security Administration. This paperwork we have to bring is amazing for this REAL ID. And, yes, DMV was very unpleasant and very frustrating.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can order a replacement SS card online - I just did it and I got it within 2 weeks. You have to set up an account on the SS website first.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You can order a replacement SS card online - I just did it and I got it within 2 weeks. You have to set up an account on the SS website first.
Same here. I have no idea where my old SS card went, so I ordered a new one. My experience was the same as Denise's.

uop1497

Reaction score
Thanks agin for additional information. After I married, I change my last name , but notsure if I did made a change at SS office.

From time to time, I receive mail from SS office, If the name showing in the SS statemment, will that proves my name currently. Please share how you request a new SS card, how much is a fee. And do you have to provide any document to prove who you are. I do not set up an account with SS website since I have too many on line account to take care, try not to set up another one until I absolutely need it.

By the way, A ID driver license to prove who you are. Now, a Real ID driver license. Then what is next in line.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Based on the posts above, you can just use your US Passport, in leiu of a new driver's license.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Based on the posts above, you can just use your US Passport, in leiu of a new driver's license.
Yes, you can, if you have a valid passport. I've been using my passport for travel for quite a few years now. Since there are still people who don't know that New Mexico is part of the U.S. and also since we don't have a read id for everyone yet (2020 is the deadline) I just feel more comfortable traveling with it. But I will still go ahead and get the real id driver's license by the deadline next year.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks agin for additional information. After I married, I change my last name , but notsure if I did made a change at SS office.

From time to time, I receive mail from SS office, If the name showing in the SS statemment, will that proves my name currently. Please share how you request a new SS card, how much is a fee. And do you have to provide any document to prove who you are. I do not set up an account with SS website since I have too many on line account to take care, try not to set up another one until I absolutely need it.

By the way, A ID driver license to prove who you are. Now, a Real ID driver license. Then what is next in line.
Here is the information on how to change your name for Social Security. All of the questions you are asking can be answered by a quick search online. If all you need is a new Social Security card, no name change, in order to do it online you HAVE to have an online Social Security account. As I recall there was no fee for the new replacement card.

How to do a name change for Social Security:

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01981

How to get a replacement card:

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02017

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Thank you ALL for your inputs. If there is no extended of expiration date when apply for REAL ID, I will wait until near the time of my driver license expired date.

May I ask, will the passport card serve as a real paper passport for international travel. If so, I would like to get one.

Another question, we just come back from a trip from Singapore. I asked DH to check the small carry on bag to make sure we do not have any fruits left in it since I bought some baby banana ( the size of my index finger) to eat while we have a day there. Somehow, he missed one of pocket where I place 1 baby banana in there . He handed to me one baby banana and when I did not feel to eat at the time .

When we landed at SFO, we know for sure we do not have any fruit with us. At least I thought so, since I ask DH to check our carry one bag a few times before we heading to airport to fly home. We use the global kiosk to clear immigration. When I stood and waiting for our bag, DH sat on the wheel chair . The airport dog sniff our bag and the lady officer found 1 baby banana in the small pocket of the same carryone bag which DH suppose to make sure no fruit in it. So, our entire luggages have to be X-Ray and they did not find anything else. I asked the algricuture officer that if we will get a fine, I was told no. However, I am not 100% sure and hope we do not end up with a big fine by mail later. I feel very embarress and got mad at DH since I asked him a few times to check the bag. If he has pulled out everything in the bag to check, he will see it for sure. But he just openned to check with our clothes and other items in it, so he missed that 1 baby banana. As a result , we spent another extra hour at the airport waiting for our bag to be hand search and X-Ray.

I now wonder if we have a bad mark in our record. If it is, I have only DH to blame . If so, does anyone know how long it may take it to clear from our passport record.
Once on a trip from Paris to the US I had put a bag of peanuts in my carry on. I saw the "dog" being escorted from bag to bag at the baggage claim. They caught someone with a sandwich and confiscated it. I discretely took my bag of peanuts (they were going to be my snack while waiting for the next plane) and set them on the floor and quietly walked away.... sigh ..... those peanuts would have tasted good. But I suppose that in theory they were an agricultural product.