• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

surrendering a Villa Group contract

Papa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have contacted the Villa Group (Resort.com; Universal Vacation Club) to see about cancelling our contract. At first there was no help. Then a person from the administration wrote that we could surrender the contract if it is fully paid up, which it is. I called the number provided and was told they would send the needed documents to us and when asked is there a fee for this, told no there isn't. Now the paperwork has arrived and there certainly is a fee, equal to another year's maintenance fee. I find that frustrating, as we've paid for this membership faithfully for many years and really enjoyed the vacations we have had, but don't want to pay again to leave it behind now. Since the company that services these contracts is based in CA, does that matter? What to do now is a question.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have contacted the Villa Group (Resort.com; Universal Vacation Club) to see about cancelling our contract. ...was told they would send the needed documents to us and when asked is there a fee for this, told no there isn't. Now the paperwork has arrived and there certainly is a fee, equal to another year's maintenance fee. I find that frustrating, as we've paid for this membership faithfully for many years ..... What to do now is a question.

Villa does not want to be stuck for this (future - 1 yr MF )while they resell .
Logical business decision on their part.

Some Villa contracts may have enough value - that you could give them away or even sell on TUG and the buyer might be willing to pay all the transfer costs .
Others do not & the deal they are offering may be you best option.

I believe 2 bedroom / gold is one that has desireability / from memory / but I am not a Villa owner .

I would suggest mentioning what you own in this thread & letting some Villa owners give you feedback on your best option(s)

Last edited:

Papa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a floating, red week at the Villa del Arco in Cabo San Lucas, Baha California. The Villa del Palmar group, which includes del Arco, do seem to have more value and anyone owning in one of their locations can exchange internally to any of the others and it's been quite easy to do. We've owned since 2005 and never had any problems with the reservations. Exchanges are only made on Villa del Palmar reservations, as you can't directly exchange a del Arco time, that's only for owners. Del Arco seems catered for more mature clients and is quieter than the other locations, with fewer parties and evening festivities. All still easily accessed right next door at the Palmar. Our timeshare is already posted for sale on TUG and we will consider all offers too.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Premiere and gold winter week contracts, in at least a one bedroom unit, should be worth something. These are pretty popular. A points membership would be worth very little because it reverts to a premiere week with a long rtu and higher mf.

I wasn't aware that there was a cancellation fee on a paid contract.

Papa P , I looked at your add and you have a summer week. These are not as popular because it is warm enough up north weeks 18 - 43 and too warm and humid in the UVC locations for many.

Bill

Last edited:

Papa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Premiere and gold winter week contracts, in at least a one bedroom unit, should be worth something. These are pretty popular. A points membership would be worth very little because it reverts to a premiere week with a long rtu and higher mf.

I wasn't aware that there was a cancellation fee on a paid contract.

Papa P , I looked at your add and you have a summer week. These are not as popular because it is warm enough up north weeks 18 - 43 and too warm and humid in the UVC locations for many.

Bill
Actually Bill, we really do have a winter week, that's what I stated. There is a "gold" week included that is a summer extra week if someone wants to go then and pay the extra maintenance fee, but other than the actual holidays, it's a floating winter week. If my ad is saying otherwise, I need to correct it right away, but I don't think it's wrong.

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
It is UVC’s standard policy to allow surrendering a membership if it is paid in full and the maintenance fees are “current” - which usually means you need to pay one more. You may not want to pay that...but, you did sign a 30 year contract that you want to get out of. Actually, pretty reasonable versus other timeshare situations.

As Bill says: the summer weeks have little to no resale value...nor do points memberships.

Good luck

bbb

Papa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luckily ours is a winter week. I know it's so hot in the summer you can't even walk in the sand! I've got this listed for sale now, but there's not yet a nibble.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I took another look at your add. Have you tried anywhere else besides tug ?

Bill

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Sorry, my earlier post crossed yours in cyberspace...didn’t see your comment on winter week clarifications.

Regardless, suggest you try listing on eBay and Redweek as well. Price at $3k for a 1 bedroom winter is probably a bit rich for the market. 2 bedrooms often sell for less. Also you might offer paying all closing/transfer costs. Ask yourself, is your goal to recover some of your money or get out from the ongoing fees?

FWIW

bbb

Last edited:

Papa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggest you try eBay and Redweek as well. Price at $3k for a 1 bedroom winter is probably a little rich. 2 bedrooms often sell for less. Also you might offer paying all closing/transfer costs. Is your goal to collect a bit of money or get out from the ongoing fees?

FWIW

bbb
At this point, after 14 years of ownership, just stopping the fees would be enough. Getting something back would be nice, but not essential for our peace of mind. I'll try lowering the price again and see if someone wants it. Good advice too.