• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help canceling timeshare ASAP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
I accidentally bought a timeshare yesterday I’m cancelling supposed to be yesterday but they already closed that late afternoon. So I went today but the guy supervisor tody was on his day off. I was talking to the manager but he wants me to talk to that guy first. So We’ll talk to him tomorrow and I know they have a law that I can cancel within 5 days of purchase. I think it’s within one of those trap and when you’re vacation. I just wanna make sure that Itll be fixed tomorrow. I also wrote a letter to cancel today since time is important. What should be prepared for or so to make sure it’s cancelled? Please help, thanks

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
What resort is it? It will make a difference as to who can help you.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
What resort is it? It will make a difference as to who can help you.
It’s at sunset royal beach resort. We were staying at ocean spa the other day and they upgraded us after signing up to sunset royal

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
First thing to do is to call your credit card company and let them know the charge for this contract, which is probably pending, is cancelled.

Write a letter to the company who sold this to inform them this contract has been cancelled by you within the rescission period. Keep to the point.

Email the resort office and anyone else that has an email address at this resort a notice of cancellation and cc it to extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx

Don't engage in conversation with the sales team.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
First thing to do is to call your credit card company and let them know the charge for this contract, which is probably pending, is cancelled.

Write a letter to the company who sold this to inform them this contract has been cancelled by you within the rescission period. Keep to the point.

Email the resort office and anyone else that has an email address at this resort a notice of cancellation and cc it to extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx

Bill
I’m supposed to talk to them tomorrow and I already said I’ll go. As for the resort should I go back to my previous one? Will they give it back to us that’s in the original contract for attending thus time share seminar. I still have like 2-3 days here. Ill be back on Monday. So I want this fixed soon. Thanks and please help with this issue as well. Not sure on what to do. I’m staying at an executive room as part of the incentive

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
First:
Inquire with the front desk what the rate difference is before you talk to anyone at the resort. Try to get it as a quote in writing.

" I suggested to a friend of mine that they might consider upgrading their room next time here to what I now have. What will that cost?"

Then: Make the cancellation preferably with a PROFECO office if one is in the resort town you are in or use the website mentioned above and call them as they have English speaking helpers who can help you. Then email the resort attn VLO and CC the sales manager (that you met at closing) informing them that you are rescinding the sale.

Finally, go to the front desk again and let them know you canceled your membership and want to be moved back to your original room. This will usually cause the salesman to run up to the desk and ask you to step in back to discuss. Let he/she know you have already canceled with Profeco and are now requesting your original room back since you are no longer entitled to the upgraded room. The salesman will lie to you until you think you want to keep it- DO NOT keep it. Insist it's a done deal- It's already canceled- you have buyers remorse. No other explanation needed.

They will most likely debit the difference in rack rates between the two rooms while you were upgraded for making a purchase.They have a right to that cost difference and any other freebees (eg. lobster dinner for 2) that were NOT part of the presentation invitation incentives.
They will most likely subtract those hard costs (not commissions etc) from your deposit before returning it. Do not pay the upgrade cost upon check out.

The salesman will say you'll loose you entire 20% deposit just for the room upgrade you received so why not keep the contract- Response "It's already canceled. I'll let Profeco determine the penalty if any"

Once the salesman knows you have a cancellation filed with Profeco they must leave you alone while on property. If they contact you again, list that on your Profeco follow up.

It's going to cost you a few bucks but you will sleep much better tonight when this is all done. Try to enjoy the rest of your stay and welcome to the world of Timeshare sinners. We've all been there!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should cancel and do whatever you want regarding the incentive. Personally, I would go back to the previous resort so there wasn't additional pending charges on my credit card from this resort. I would be disputing all charges so I could get my deposit back.

If these guys added an incentive so you would buy, that incentive is part of the timeshare purchase and is revocable if you cancel within the rescission period of five days not counting Sunday. You do not owe anything for the incentive until you actually buy the contract.

Bill

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset

Bill
Thanks the weird thing is I checked their contract multiple times and there’s no email address there’s different legal address and actual address of the Company as well

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
I tried emailing profeco at email you recommended but it was sent to mailer daemon. I’m starting to panic please help

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Call Profeco at 52 55 5211 1723
Many Mexican TS companies list bogus physical addresses and email addresses so you can't rescind by email and say they never received your letter which is why most folks use Profeco or have the letter overnight mailed (DSL) to the resort so they have proof of receipt within 5 days.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset

Bill
The email I sent to the profe
You should cancel and do whatever you want regarding the incentive. Personally, I would go back to the previous resort so there wasn't additional pending charges on my credit card from this resort. I would be disputing all charges so I could get my deposit back.

If these guys added an incentive so you would buy, that incentive is part of the timeshare purchase and is revocable if you cancel within the rescission period of five days not counting Sunday. You do not owe anything for the incentive until you actually buy the contract.

Bill

They told me about the amount of money that I have to pay. As far as I know by law I shouldn’t pay anything please verify

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No resort will help you cancel.

You have 5 days after the contract is signed to cancel it. Day 1 is the day AFTER you signed it. There is NO COST to rescind!

Follow the instructions exactly. If PROFECO is not available, you'll just have to do it yourself. Write the letter, take it by hand to the sales office. Get someone to sign that they received it. It won't be easy. They are trained to sell you more, to upsell, and never give back any money, but if you are not returning to the U.S. before the 5th day, it's all you can do.

DO NOT use Mexican Post office. (Correo) Worst mail system in the entire world.

Save copies of all correspondence- especially that showing you made a good-faith attempt to cancel.

If worse come to worst, re-start the process after you return home, but this is serious and should not be taken as an excuse to not get it out of the way within the allowable time frame. If they really want to play hard ball, you could find yourself with crippled credit or owning an unsaleable timeshare.

Good Luck!!

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
Call Profeco at 52 55 5211 1723
Many Mexican TS companies list bogus physical addresses and email addresses so you can't rescind by email and say they never received your letter which is why most folks use Profeco or have the letter overnight mailed (DSL) to the resort so they have proof of receipt within 5 days.
They said I cancel already but no proof about it said it’s by processing l. I’ll receive the money after 15 days but technically I have to pay more because of the stuff written at the contract which they haven’t explained

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They said I cancel already but no proof about it said it’s by processing l. I’ll receive the money after 15 days but technically I have to pay more because of the stuff written at the contract which they haven’t explained
You keep mentioning 'They'. Who are 'they'? Why do you listen to them? If 'They' are the resort salesweasels, 'they' don't have your interest at heart. Only their commissions. The term 'rescission' means exactly to put affairs back in the order they were as if you had never signed a contract at all. You don't have to pay anything on a contract that is being cancelled as if the ink never hit the paper!

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
The guy who signed the papers with me at the contract he’s the sales manager
You keep mentioning 'They'. Who are 'they'? Why do you listen to them? If 'They' are the resort salesweasels, 'they' don't have your interest at heart. Only their commissions. The term 'rescission' means exactly to put affairs back in the order they were as if you had never signed a contract at all. You don't have to pay anything on a contract that is being cancelled as if the ink never hit the paper!

Jim
e

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
"They" are not trying to help. They are trying to delay you and/or talk you out of cancelling. You need to rescind in writing not orally and not by email. Ideally you want a receipt that it was received. They can tell you that you that you rescinded if you did it wrong just to make you miss the deadline for the required written rescission.

If you received an incentive for signing the contract, like an upgrade to a better unit and you used that incentive, they can charge you the rack price for the upgrade for the nights you used it. If you received an incentive that you didn't use or that you can return, you should owe nothing.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"They" are not trying to help. They are trying to delay you and/or talk you out of cancelling. You need to rescind in writing not orally and not by email. Ideally you want a receipt that it was received. They can tell you that you that you rescinded if you did it wrong just to make you miss the deadline for the required written rescission.

If you received an incentive for signing the contract, like an upgrade to a better unit and you used that incentive, they can charge you the rack price for the upgrade for the nights you used it. If you received an incentive that you didn't use or that you can return, you should owe nothing.

They can charge you for the upgrade but you are under no obligation to pay for a marketing incentive. You didn't purchase the upgrade, you purchased a timeshare and they gave you an upgrade. If you cancel the contract the gift of an upgrade is not a purchase of the upgrade. If is still a gift. I would tell my credit card company that I dispute any charges from this company.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
No resort will help you cancel.

You have 5 days after the contract is signed to cancel it. Day 1 is the day AFTER you signed it. There is NO COST to rescind!

Follow the instructions exactly. If PROFECO is not available, you'll just have to do it yourself. Write the letter, take it by hand to the sales office. Get someone to sign that they received it. It won't be easy. They are trained to sell you more, to upsell, and never give back any money, but if you are not returning to the U.S. before the 5th day, it's all you can do.

DO NOT use Mexican Post office. (Correo) Worst mail system in the entire world.

Save copies of all correspondence- especially that showing you made a good-faith attempt to cancel.

If worse come to worst, re-start the process after you return home, but this is serious and should not be taken as an excuse to not get it out of the way within the allowable time frame. If they really want to play hard ball, you could find yourself with crippled credit or owning an unsaleable timeshare.

Good Luck!!

Jim
Yes that’s exactly what happened they refused to date the letter that I gave them. They just signed it! And I ask on 2 different occasions. I got my cousin in the US to send the letter that I made here and scanned it to her so she can send them at the post office

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
But it was only sent in Florida the one in Mexico they don’t have certified mail. I’m not sure if I would use the courier here and they’re closed right now

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
They can charge you for the upgrade but you are under no obligation to pay for a marketing incentive. You didn't purchase the upgrade, you purchased a timeshare and they gave you an upgrade. If you cancel the contract the gift of an upgrade is not a purchase of the upgrade. If is still a gift. I would tell my credit card company that I dispute any charges from this company.

Bill
That’s what I said but they said I’ve signed the letter that says if I’m not a member I should pay it’s full price don’t know if I should stay at this hotel I have 2 more days Sunday. I really wanted to enjoy my vacation haven’t even done the excursions yet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset

Bill
I called my credit card company twice and they said they can’t dispute any claim since it’s not in yet. When I told them to put it to stop they say they can’t since authorized that transaction

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is pending. Dispute every thing. They don't have your signature on anything other than the contract. That is the only thing that was authorized by you and it will be disputed.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
It is pending. Dispute every thing. They don't have your signature on anything other than the contract. That is the only thing that was authorized by you and it will be disputed.

Bill
I remember signing a lot of stuff though even authorizing a credit card use the receipt is actually in Spanish. I hope everything works out well. I just left the hotel.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Read that contract and follow the instructions EXACTLY. Cancelling with only Profeco will not work - the resort must have a copy that is signed and dated. Take your Cancellation letter to Customer Services - NOT the Sales department. Ask for a copy verifying that you have cancelled / rescinded your contract. You mayneed this for your CC company. If you do not have something in writing before the end of day 5, it is still yours!