• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone ever spread loved ones' ashes in Mexico?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know, it's a sad topic and maybe this forum isn't even the best place to ask this. But Mexico can be weird sometimes, and I'm wondering if getting the "red light" in customs could cause an urn full of "cremains" to be confiscated. That would be horrible...maybe not worth the risk. Maybe there's a law there governing this...but where to find out? I'm sure some scuba divers would want ashes scattered on fave dive sites, for example...so I can't be the first person to ever think of this. TIA for any advice. RIP mi esposo.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Here is some information that might help. It's from the website of the Consulate General of Mexico. It does say the information is for funeral homes, not sure if the same applies to an individual bringing the ashes. I also saw some suggestions to contact the Consulate and another to contact the airline you'll be using to see what their rules and regulations are.

Information for funeral homes that will transport human remains to Mexico.

Requirements to Transport Human Remains to Mexico:

eng-images-blink.gif
eng-images-bullet_yellow.gif
eng-images-blink.gif
Death Certificate and its notarized translation into Spanish (This document must be accompanied by exemplification of death record)

eng-images-blink.gif
Burial Transportation Permit and its notarized translation into Spanish

eng-images-blink.gif
Embalmer's Certificate and its notarized translation into Spanish

eng-images-blink.gif
Please present one photocopy of each of the above mentioned documents.
Keep in mind that all translations must be notarized.

Consular certification of all the documents mentioned in this page is free of charge.

Requirements to transport ashes to Mexico:

eng-images-blink.gif
Death Certificate and its notarized translation into Spanish

eng-images-blink.gif
Cremation Certificate and its notarized translation into Spanish

eng-images-blink.gif
Please present one photocopy of each of the above mentioned documents.
Keep in mind that all translations must be notarized.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Carol, I see that Luanne researched this far more than I did. I don't think that the translation bit is too big an obstacle. Good wishes to you for carrying out the wishes of the departed.

Jim

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We buried my dh's aunt's ashes on the beach in Honolulu. My bil carried them from Virginia. I don't even know if he thought about putting them in his checked luggage, I think he felt safer having them in his carry on. I don't remember if he needed any special information, and of course this was to Hawaii, not out of the country. I guess my only thought it, how comfortable you would feel putting the ashes in your checked luggage.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Maybe the beach is the way to go...or I can just sprinkle after dark off a pier on SC coast (although the murky Atlantic still isn't appealing to me...but hey, it's the ocean!)

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually tell my husband I would like my ashes in Hohenschwangau, Bavaria Germany'

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've left instructions for where I'd like my ashes to reside. It seams so much more meaningful than in some urn under the care of the living.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I know, it's a sad topic and maybe this forum isn't even the best place to ask this. RIP mi esposo.

Carol, I believe you were the first TUGer I ever met at the Manhattan Club in maybe 2004/05?
Those were the days of South African trades into MC!
And your lovely husband was with you.
So sorry for your loss. {{HUGS}}

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti and I have talked about what to do with our ashes. Originallly I wanted my Urn added to my Dad's grave and she wanted her's placed with her Mom at Arlington. We have decided that that survivor will take a some on every trip and scatter them around the world.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thankfully my son and husband would be able to just drive mine up to the lake that I love.

taffy19

Reaction score
Carol, my condolences to you. It is because of Pat's message to you that I realized that you lost your husband.

I have sent you a PM.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
For those wishing to have their ashes spread in the US, be sure to check the laws in each state.

We just made what we hope are long term plans for the two of us and learned that each state may handle it differently. For instance, in Nevada ashes can’t be spread legally. Because cremation actually leaves some bone fragments the authorities would consider the site a potential crime scene. I haven’t researched it, but I wondered if that goes back to the era when mobs ran the gaming industry here. On the other hand, I heard that the state of Washington doesn’t prohibit the spreading of ashes.

We want to have our ashes spread in the ocean. I spoke with one company in Newport Beach, CA and they are required to go offshore at least 5 miles. I plan to look into what Hawaii allows as that may be our first choice. No matter the choice, we decided the surviving spouse would keep the remains and then when the survivor passes our kids will spread both of our ashes together. My DW liked that idea.

As I mentioned earlier, hopefully we have many years remaining, but we are comfortable that we have a game plan and won’t leave it for our kids to figure out.

Best regards.

Mike

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Carol, I believe you were the first TUGer I ever met at the Manhattan Club in maybe 2004/05?
Those were the days of South African trades into MC!
And your lovely husband was with you.
So sorry for your loss. {{HUGS}}

Pat, yes we met in NYC and stayed at MC the same week. And we crossed paths several times via TUG... with you of course being so very helpful getting me that piggybacked week at Ocho Cascadas. And hubby got to go for both weeks...one was scheduled vacay and the other he called in "sick" (and put his hand over the phone talking to the boss, so his place of employ wouldn't hear ocean waves or tropical breezes blowing while my hubby feigned coughing). Ah the things we do for love...and for travel! Pat, thanks for your condolences...it has been a long road for me since his Parkinsons and dementia diagnosis in 2009, then my breast cancer in 2010...and the last year or two have been the worse (he had hospice at the end). I am now at the two month point of his passing, and also a good friend in Myrtle Beach just died of blader cancer at 64, and I went to his memorial last Friday. Compounded grief is no fun! And so your condolenses, and Emmy's...and Joan checking in (I was almost going to the TUG gathering in Orlando)...and Beags too...alot of TUGgers go so far back. I appreciate the online "home" TUG has become...and I thank each of you who posted in this thread. As always, such good insights and advice from TUGgers, the smartest people I "know".

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Carol, I'm so sorry to learn of all the challenges you've had to deal with the past many years, and my condolences on the loss of your husband.

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Carol,
My condolences to you for the loss of your husband and the struggles of recent years. I hope you will continue to travel and enjoy your life.
My husband passed 2.5 years ago. My timeshare stays are very life-giving to me and others. I invite widow friends to spend some time with me during my 9 week stay in PV. Our snowbird flock at Club Regina is always friendly and welcoming. I have gotten involved as a volunteer helping in a couple projects that fill my heart with joy.

You will find your way as you mourn your loss. Life is changed, not taken away. Our loved ones are only a breath away!
God bless you as you traverse your journey of grief!
Hugs,
DonnaD.

QUOTE="Carol C, post: 2244173, member: 473"]Pat, yes we met in NYC and stayed at MC the same week. And we crossed paths several times via TUG... with you of course being so very helpful getting me that piggybacked week at Ocho Cascadas. And hubby got to go for both weeks...one was scheduled vacay and the other he called in "sick" (and put his hand over the phone talking to the boss, so his place of employ wouldn't hear ocean waves or tropical breezes blowing while my hubby feigned coughing). Ah the things we do for love...and for travel! Pat, thanks for your condolences...it has been a long road for me since his Parkinsons and dementia diagnosis in 2009, then my breast cancer in 2010...and the last year or two have been the worse (he had hospice at the end). I am now at the two month point of his passing, and also a good friend in Myrtle Beach just died of blader cancer at 64, and I went to his memorial last Friday. Compounded grief is no fun! And so your condolenses, and Emmy's...and Joan checking in (I was almost going to the TUG gathering in Orlando)...and Beags too...alot of TUGgers go so far back. I appreciate the online "home" TUG has become...and I thank each of you who posted in this thread. As always, such good insights and advice from TUGgers, the smartest people I "know".[/QUOTE]