• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When you travel, where is your favourite cheap dive restaurant?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Oh, and let’s not forget Marks Place in Lihue, Kauai. Great Hawaiian dishes plate lunch style. Cheap, delicious and a go to when in the area. You will do the hula after you try their mixed plate.

http://www.marksplacekauai.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can even add Hamura’s Saimin. :thumbup:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Once place I can think of was the original Five Guys in Alexandria. It's no longer there, and we only went once, but we all declared it the best burger we'd ever had.

The original Five Guys was in Arlington, in a little strip shopping center at the corner of Columbia Pike and Glebe Road, next to the bakery that made the buns. It closed and moved to Alexandria on George Mason, just off Leesburg Pike/King Street but I think that has one has closed, too. I know there's one in Old Town Alexandria and one in National Airport. There's also one in Springfield, VA and many other places -- about 16 or so in the Virginia suburbs of DC. Wikipedia says there were 1,600 outlets in 2016.

It started when a guy offered his four sons the idea of starting a burger joint as an alternative to going to college.

Semi-interesting tidbit: When Five Guys started down the franchising road, their adviser was Mark Moseley, who used to be the placekicker for the Washington Redskins. Moseley was the NFL MVP in 1982.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The original Five Guys was in Arlington, in a little strip shopping center at the corner of Columbia Pike and Glebe Road, next to the bakery that made the buns. It closed and moved to Alexandria on George Mason, just off Leesburg Pike/King Street but I think that has one has closed, too. I know there's one in Old Town Alexandria and one in National Airport. There's also one in Springfield, VA and many other places -- about 16 or so in the Virginia suburbs of DC. Wikipedia says there were 1,600 outlets in 2016.

It started when a guy offered his four sons the idea of starting a burger joint as an alternative to going to college.

Semi-interesting tidbit: When Five Guys started down the franchising road, their adviser was Mark Moseley, who used to be the placekicker for the Washington Redskins. Moseley was the NFL MVP in 1982.

I think the boys made a good choice to skip college. I see Five Guys everywhere.

Good burgers.

Say, anyone have a good dive suggestion in NYC?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We had Loco Moco at the Rainbow Drive In just the other day. Love all the choices at the different Food Courts at the Ala Moana Center. We ate at the Asian Food Court today. Snack Shack on the side of Sueoka Store in Koloa Kauai makes the best Loco Moco we have ever had. Chili Pepper Chicken at the Chevron Gas Station in Princeville Kauai. Fish Tacos at the Truck by the Hanalei Pier on Kauai - hopefully they have returned since the flooding last April.

Patti told me she checked and the Food Truck - Pat's Taqueria - is back.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
20180125_182537.jpg 20180125_182413.jpg Forgot about Mariscos El Chino in San Jose del Cabo. This is a very small place. As you are driving/walking into downtown San Jose del Cabo there will be an OXXO Market (similar to 7/11 in USA) on your left a couple blocks before the Plaza. Mariscos in 1 street back behind the OXXO. This is after you make the big left turn at the end of the Resorts. There is a bigger restaurant 1/2 block away that is not as good.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
You can't beat a SPAMburger with Deep Fried SPAM Curds at the Minnesota State Fair.

2009%2009%2006_0660-L.jpg

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Old Town Alexandria. Hard Times Cafe. Great food and great neighborhood atmosphere. Many locals walk to it with their families.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
In Travrse City, MI — The Filling Station Microbrewery. Best Flatbread Pizza and very low cost

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I think the boys made a good choice to skip college. I see Five Guys everywhere.

Good burgers.

Say, anyone have a good dive suggestion in NYC?

McSorley's Ale House

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chamicos on the beach, Soliman Bay, Mexico. Feet in the sand, plastic tables, no electricity, wood fire grill, ice cold cervesa, and delicious fish that was swimming that morning. Turquoise blue water waves washing up a few feet away, choice of hammocks after lunch, and a scene in front of you that looks like paradise.

3I5eMvV.jpg

haU4U5B.jpg

1Er4UjH.jpg

Las 3 Acapulquenas

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
In Spain...almost any place that serves a menu del dia.
In Cancún...El Fish Fritanga (not really a dive, but cheaper than most)
On Maui...Sam Sato's (try the dry saimin)
On Kauai...Hamura Saimin Stand
In England...most any pub (there are over 7000, and I have been working on them)

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Breckenridge

I could not state it as poetically as the Lonely Planet guide on Crepes a la Cart so here it is. Let me assure you - their crepes are great!

It's Breck's most popular snack stand: you can't miss this yellow gypsy cart on Main St – or the line snaking down the block in front of it. Sweet and savory crepes are made to order and folded up in the iconic Parisian wedge, but when it gets busy, mon dieu, the wait can be very long.
81e5486d40541dbeb7b937b8f6937d1f.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Chamicos on the beach, Soliman Bay, Mexico. Feet in the sand, plastic tables, no electricity, wood fire grill, ice cold cervesa, and delicious fish that was swimming that morning. Turquoise blue water waves washing up a few feet away, choice of hammocks after lunch, and a scene in front of you that looks like paradise.
I'd eat that!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Krazy Fish was featured in "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives"
DSC_0329-1030x685.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

This place is a lot of fun.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
My mother made fried chicken just about every Sunday when I was growing up. Now, we rarely eat it, much less cook it at home. But when driving her to stay with friends in Ocala, FL, we always stop at Callahan Barbeque in Callahan, Florida, for fried chicken. My mother's is better but Callahan's is really good too.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
For me it's James Hook & Co just off Atlantic Ave in Boston, on the water.
It's like an old double-wide trailer which has been fixed up.
They have inside seating at small tables. Outside there are two picnic tables.
Businessmen, lawyers, bankers, and such from the nearby Financial District walk over each day
for a quick lunch. A few other locals who are "in-the-know" flood in, too.
It's located just a short walk from Custom House, maybe 4-5 blocks, and definitely worth the trip.
When we arrive, we RUN there for a Lobster Roll and their world-class Clam Chowder.....best anywhere!
The lobster roll is amazing enough, but the clam chowder is able to soothe even the coldest Boston day,
perfectly piping hot as it makes its way down and into your soul.
It's one of the places we dream about after we've left Boston, and it gets us back.
We've visited Boston 4 times in the last 5 years, and will go back next October.
To say we can't wait is an understatement.

I owe knowing about this place ultimately to my dear TUG friend and Boston native Jeanne, aka Beaglemom3,
who told another dear TUG friend John, aka "jont" (Thank you too, John!), who told me.
Maybe one of the best tips of my life!!! It has brought us much joy.
Thanks, Jeanne!

Below see some pics (and my beautiful bride of 36 years, Mona) from our most recent stop at James Hook & Co:

Location on Googlemaps:
https://goo.gl/maps/mxCmu1iusqr

Image%201-13-19%20at%209.17%20PM%205_zps8rekoqv6.jpg

P.S.
I don't have a "Boston Strong" T-shirt,
but I did have one made that says, "Boston Soon". :thumbup:

Last edited: