• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina multiple reservations

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advise and possibly contact information for Ko Olina to make a request to combine some reservations.

We are going to Ko Olina for 16 nights and only way to get that many nights for the 4 of us was multiple reservations as the entire trip was not available form one source. We have a combination of II exchanges, MVC DC point reservation, MRD point reservations and cash reservations.

Long story short is we have 4 reservations using MVC DC points for a 2BR MV, 1 Reservation using II exchange for a 2BR MV, 1 reservation for 6 nights in a 1 BR MV with MRD points, 3 reservations for Studio MV using DC points, and 1 cash reservation for Studio MV. My goal is to combine them for 16 nights in a 2BR without switching rooms every other night. I know it is a total mess, but it was the only way to get the whole trip booked.

Does anyone have an email contact for Ko Olina where I could explain the reservations and make a request to combine them up. I was careful to book all MV, but there are a mix of single entry and 2 door entry for the 2BR units. Also one area of concern is one of the studios, although MV, is a lock off from a 3BR where the rest are a lock off from a 2BR.

It would be a real mess if we had to move 9 times during this trip. Thanks for any advise anyone can offer.

I may use this example next presentation when they say how easy vacation planning is!!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I simply call the resort and make it so. They have always combined them, give you the required "it isn't guaranteed you will get to keep the same room", and it's done. We've never moved in 21 years. We almost always have 2 reservations since we hate only one week, and, we extend via points.

I believe it's even on the form where they send you in advance of your trip via email to fill out your preferences, I believe there's a box for other reservations. It may be for this same purpose, I just call and do it, feels better to me.

As I submitted this - just got my email from DSV for February and indeed there is a multiple reservations box. I still prefer to call. And I just did, and, this time for the first time ever, they told me I definitely will not be moving rooms, no standard disclaimer!

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advise and possibly contact information for Ko Olina to make a request to combine some reservations.

We are going to Ko Olina for 16 nights and only way to get that many nights for the 4 of us was multiple reservations as the entire trip was not available form one source. We have a combination of II exchanges, MVC DC point reservation, MRD point reservations and cash reservations.

Long story short is we have 4 reservations using MVC DC points for a 2BR MV, 1 Reservation using II exchange for a 2BR MV, 1 reservation for 6 nights in a 1 BR MV with MRD points, 3 reservations for Studio MV using DC points, and 1 cash reservation for Studio MV. My goal is to combine them for 16 nights in a 2BR without switching rooms every other night. I know it is a total mess, but it was the only way to get the whole trip booked.

Does anyone have an email contact for Ko Olina where I could explain the reservations and make a request to combine them up. I was careful to book all MV, but there are a mix of single entry and 2 door entry for the 2BR units. Also one area of concern is one of the studios, although MV, is a lock off from a 3BR where the rest are a lock off from a 2BR.

It would be a real mess if we had to move 9 times during this trip. Thanks for any advise anyone can offer.

I may use this example next presentation when they say how easy vacation planning is!!
I would call and ask for the Front Desk Manager and discuss. I'm assuming this is one unit per night. First, you need to look at the 2 BR to see if they are lockout's are dedicated. Ko Olina is VERY strict on giving you exactly what you have reserved. If all the 2 BR are lockoff's, ask to be in the same unit the entire time just changing sides where applicable. If that's important, ask for the Moana tower as that's likely where you'll be anyway. If any of the 2 BR are single entry (part of a 3 BR), you'll almost certainly have to change rooms and towers from one end of the resort to the other. If you want to email me privately, I can share our experience this past summer with 3 units in no where near each other including opposite ends of the resort.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Having single entry and dual entry 2 bedroom units would necessitate a move. Also having a studio part of a 2br and part of a 3br would also be a room change. If it is studio mv of a 3br these would only be in Naia tower. Those would be the only room changes you would need to do.

You can ask and see if they would help and keep the room changes down. MKO has been pretty strict in giving the unit you are assigned. As in if a studio is part of a 3br then you have a studio part of a 2br you would have to check in and out. But ask and see if they will work with you since it is a long trip.

A side benefit is that for the cash and MR point portion of trip you likely won't be charged for parking. Have a good trip and update us on what happens.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having single entry and dual entry 2 bedroom units would necessitate a move. Also having a studio part of a 2br and part of a 3br would also be a room change. If it is studio mv of a 3br these would only be in Naia tower. Those would be the only room changes you would need to do.

You can ask and see if they would help and keep the room changes down. MKO has been pretty strict in giving the unit you are assigned. As in if a studio is part of a 3br then you have a studio part of a 2br you would have to check in and out. But ask and see if they will work with you since it is a long trip.

A side benefit is that for the cash and MR point portion of trip you likely won't be charged for parking. Have a good trip and update us on what happens.

Nor a parking charge for exchange for members on an exchange. But do they count the 2 studios as separate options, aren't they really the same? The 2 BR are different but there is an option there as well if you know how to approach it.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is very important when extending reservations by using DC points to pay close attention to the type of unit and view. A 1BR master portion of a 2BR is not the same as a 1BR necessarily. If you can keep all the sequential reservations to the same unit size, view, and type of room, I've never failed and have never been moved. Even in Hawaii.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Nor a parking charge for exchange for members on an exchange. But do they count the 2 studios as separate options, aren't they really the same? The 2 BR are different but there is an option there as well if you know how to approach it.
If a studio using MVC points is same time with as the MRP or cash reservation then you would have nothing to worry as you already have free parking for one vehicle.

OP will you have one or 2 vehicles? But I still dont think they are going to charge parking for a night or two since you are staying so long.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP will you have one or 2 vehicles? But I still dont think they are going to charge parking for a night or two since you are staying so long.

We will only have 1 car. We have one night where we have a MRD reservation for a 1BR and cash reservation for a studio. I guess they may charge me for parking on that night.

I’m still hoping to get the second week in a last minute II exchange but I’m running out of time.

Thanks for all the advise.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We will only have 1 car. We have one night where we have a MRD reservation for a 1BR and cash reservation for a studio. I guess they may charge me for parking on that night.

I’m still hoping to get the second week in a last minute II exchange but I’m running out of time.

Thanks for all the advise.
Both studio and 1br are on a reservation that is a chargeable parking day. I would say front desk agent would probably miss charging you for the one night. He/she has a lot more to do with your reservation and would probably forget. You are correct in that the worse is you have to pay parking for 1 night out of 16.

When will you be here at MKO?

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score

We are currently at KoOlina and also had 5 separate reservations, using II trades and DC points, but are only moving once after our first 15 days. Call in advance and explain your situation, then make sure you list all your reservations on your pre-arrival email. Good luck and enjoy!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are currently at KoOlina and also had 5 separate reservations, using II trades and DC points, but are only moving once after our first 15 days. Call in advance and explain your situation, then make sure you list all your reservations on your pre-arrival email. Good luck and enjoy!
I am also here at MKO. I love meeting TUGgers. If you would like to meet up I am in 10428 for the next 2 weeks. Enjoy your stay as it has been nice and quiet.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our trip is Feb 8 - 24, 2019
Might still be able to get a trade via II. What days do you need a trade for? Have a great stay at MKO.

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
Might still be able to get a trade via II. What days do you need a trade for? Have a great stay at MKO.

Still hoping to get a MVC DC reservation in a MV Studio for Feb 20 and 21. Right now I have a MV Studio (MVC DC) for the 20th but it is a Studio from a 3br unit. I also have Feb 21 as a cash reservation that must be cancelled by Feb 6.

My best exchange with II would be if I could grab a 2BR for the week of Feb 17. Then I could cancel all the DC reservations (holding account for the refunded points), MRD reservation and cash reservation for that week.
Also a studio from II for the week of Feb 17 would work to make things less complicated.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort

I recently merged reservations @ the Maui Marriott VC. Just call and ask for the room reservation controller. If the villa is the same size and view they can merge them. When you call the KoOlina ask for the persons email and phone number. I emailed my reservation numbers and also left a voicemail. He responded immediately with an email.
Have a great time! I love the KoOlina.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I agree with others that the the Single Door/Double Door and the Studio off a 2BR/3BR will make it difficult for them to put you in a single room for the entire stay. As others have suggested, call the front desk and explain the situation and hope they have mercy on you. But manage the expectations of your guests... Good luck!

Best,

Greg

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
If a studio using MVC points is same time with as the MRP or cash reservation then you would have nothing to worry as you already have free parking for one vehicle.

I've exchanged in and extended with a cash reservation; they did not charge for parking during the extension since I had conjunctive reservations.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've exchanged in and extended with a cash reservation; they did not charge for parking during the extension since I had conjunctive reservations.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also here at MKO. I love meeting TUGgers. If you would like to meet up I am in 10428 for the next 2 weeks. Enjoy your stay as it has been nice and quiet.

I keep forgetting to call you when we are in the room. If you are around today, we will be at the reflection pool in palapa 4 .

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep forgetting to call you when we are in the room. If you are around today, we will be at the reflection pool in palapa 4 .
I will be back about 7pm if you would like to meet up. Marketplace tables is a good place to meet up. Will be at resort on friday till 1pm. But usually back at 7pm every night.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
You have been given very good advice. Single Entry vs Lockoff WILL be the pain point for you, forcing a room change (and probably a building change as well).
Encountering a room change can kill a day of your vacation, because they want you out of your room by 10AM and you won't get into the next one until 4PM and they will want you to stop by the front desk and stand in line to get your new room key. It is hugely disruptive.
Ko Olina does have refrigerators and freezers to store your food. They can provide you with big plastic storage containers. You fill them and they will stop by the room and take them, as well as your bags. I'm sure they will try to work with you because moving you will be equally disruptive to them, but as stated by others, their hands are tied when it comes to lockoff vs single entry just as much as MV vs OV. The cash reservations can be easily changed by them. In fact, I don't think you can even request Single Entry vs Lockoff with a cash reservation.
Pro tip: Waiohai is all single entry, so maybe consider that next time. Rooms are nearly identical to Ko Olina.

Let us know what they were able to do for you!

Marriott sales people don't tell you about the pitfalls of trying to get consecutive weeks at the same resort through exchanging... I bet they say the way to get around that is buying more points to get higher priority, and so you don't have to exchange.

EDIT: Another way to prevent this in the future is to rent. You have total control over arrival dates and room view/type. Then just rent out your weeks/points. You'd probably come out ahead financially.

Last edited:

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone have an email for the room controller at Ko Olina?

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Call Ko Olina and ask for the Pre Arrival desk. They are best equipped to help. I would time the call such that you are not calling at a super busy time for them. Certainly not on a Fri-Sun which is when the majority of checkin/checkout happen.