• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Resort Fees Are you ok with them?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Think of the big picture. Let’s take Marriott timeshares in Florida. My guess it will only be a short time until they start charging these extra resort fees like HGVC has. It is a cycle that ultimately is back for owners of timeshare.

Exactly why they should be charged to all Users and included in Resort Budget to reduce MFs for all Owners. It would be a wash for an Owner who is also a User and a plus for Owners who rent or exchange...

George

sgosline

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update on Kauai Beach Villas. We checked in yesterday and nothing was said about a resort fee. They must have received enough negative feedback that they rescinded it. I didn’t ask about it.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Update on Kauai Beach Villas. We checked in yesterday and nothing was said about a resort fee. They must have received enough negative feedback that they rescinded it. I didn’t ask about it.
Aloha,
There is a resort fee for RCI exchange or rental reservations made after a certain date around or after the middle of October 2018.
If you rent directly from a KBV Owner, the usage is considered the Owner's usage and the resort fee does not apply.
Your reservation was made well before mid-October. RCI erroneously sent the announcement of a resort fee to folks with existing exchange reservations. The policy has not been rescinded.
As I stated earlier in post 58, I will continue to read this thread with interest.
Enjoy Kauai - I hope you get good weather (remember - no rain no rainbows).
Jack
https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...e-you-ok-with-them.282951/page-3#post-2223903
https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...las-board-election.240675/page-8#post-2140817

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still think TS value out weigh hotels.

But one other thing that irritates the hell out of me with these add-on fees for exchanges is when they add them after I have booked. With RCI if I have booked a 2020 reservation and say February of 2019 resort decides to impose a $35 per day resort fee they will charge me this in 2020 when I arrive even though they started imposing it after I booked.

That would be like RCI wanting the increased fee amounts for all exchanges on the books. When they raise exchange fees
This happened to me as well using RCI in Maui they added an extra resort fee a month ago and this reservation was booked a rear ago at Kahana sands. I wont be going there now but will loose my exchange fee $$. Most annoyed by this policy.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The questions to me are how can timeshare exchangers protest these new resort fees charges and who do we complain to in written.?:ponder:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The questions to me are how can timeshare exchangers protest these new resort fees charges and who do we complain to in written.?:ponder:
In time, as more are more people realize it is getting too expensive to trade into these place, trades occurring could diminish due supply and demand. Eventually, probably later then sooner, it will happen as the greed will continue and these resort fees will get too high.

Meanwhile you can write a letter to the trade companies to voice your concerns but until it hurts their profit line they probably won’t do anything about them.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just about to book Hanalei Bay through GPX until I saw the fees: $20/day resort fee, $7.51/day tax, $6/day parking and a $25 additional fee paid to the resort...$259.57 total...I think that is way too much....ridiculous

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I was just about to book Hanalei Bay through GPX until I saw the fees: $20/day resort fee, $7.51/day tax, $6/day parking and a $25 additional fee paid to the resort...$259.57 total...I think that is way too much....ridiculous
Unless something has changed since I booked Hanalei Bay Resort in May, it's just the $20 resort fee and the tot tax (which goes to the state of Hawaii). Still more than I would like but at least there is AC in the unit. I am pretty sure that Cliffs Club has no AC and still charges a resort fee! That right there is over my limit line.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In time, as more are more people realize it is getting too expensive to trade into these place, trades occurring could diminish due supply and demand. Eventually, probably later then sooner, it will happen as the greed will continue and these resort fees will get too high.

Meanwhile you can write a letter to the trade companies to voice your concerns but until it hurts their profit line they probably won’t do anything about them.
We also complain about rising maintenance fees. You will either have higher MF or the resort fees, especially for resorts with high bad debt expense. I don't like it either, but since everyone does it in the travel industry (especially the hotels and airlines) it is probably here for the forseeable future.

If people actively avoid resorts with added fees, the demand will go down for those resorts and theoretically their trade value will diminish. I own two southern CA resorts that charge resort fees. They trade very well - because at the end of the day, it's location, location, location.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We also complain about rising maintenance fees. You will either have higher MF or the resort fees, especially for resorts with high bad debt expense. I don't like it either, but since everyone does it in the travel industry (especially the hotels and airlines) it is probably here for the forseeable future.

If people actively avoid resorts with added fees, the demand will go down for those resorts and theoretically their trade value will diminish. I own two southern CA resorts that charge resort fees. They trade very well - because at the end of the day, it's location, location, location.
Yes, harder to trade in locations can definitely get away with the resort fees. The problem is less desirable locations and oversupplied areas are charging the fees too.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I can see where the resorts will use this as additional leverage to get fresh meat for the sales presentation. Don’t like the fee, fine, sign up for a presentation and we’ll drop the fee, throw in a parking pass and maybe a $100 gift card. A presentation tax on exchangers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gee, all these fees. Maintenance which are many times over 1 k a week and resort fees too. I echo what almost everyone is saying. And yes, I avoid resorts that charge resort fees. I find Vegas the worse for that.

My airbnb and renting a week from TUGGERS just gets better and better. Since this strategy, I haven’t paid a resort fee.

I like the RCI thingy where when you book in many resorts in Mexico, you have to pay the Inclusive fee that runs between 150 and 200 a day per person! I just bypass RCI and book a 5 star all inclusive package with airfare and save thousands. Or again, Airbnb and get cheap tacos and beer and save thousands in fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gee, all these fees. Maintenance which are many times over 1 k a week and resort fees too. I echo what almost everyone is saying. And yes, I avoid resorts that charge resort fees. I find Vegas the worse for that.

My airbnb and renting a week from TUGGERS just gets better and better. Since this strategy, I haven’t paid a resort fee.

I like the RCI thingy where when you book in many resorts in Mexico, you have to pay the Inclusive fee that runs between 150 and 200 a day per person! I just bypass RCI and book a 5 star all inclusive package with airfare and save thousands. Or again, Airbnb and get cheap tacos and beer and save thousands in fees.

Some of my worst travel experiences were with airbnb/vrbo. Don't get me wrong there were some good ones too but at $750/nt it had better be good (although come to think of it, that rental in Yosemite West had a broken thermostat and was ungodly hot the whole time we were there). I have had to wait for the cable guy to fix the wifi (Kauai), found the house uncleaned - complete with used drug paraphernalia (Kona), rented a place that looked nothing like the photos (Maui), and found out that our unit was an illegal sublet (Sonoma). I use airbnb/vrbo when those are the only options, but my preference is for timeshares. Just fewer issues.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Some of my worst travel experiences were with airbnb/vrbo. Don't get me wrong there were some good ones too but at $750/nt it had better be good (although come to think of it, that rental in Yosemite West had a broken thermostat and was ungodly hot the whole time we were there). I have had to wait for the cable guy to fix the wifi (Kauai), found the house uncleaned - complete with used drug paraphernalia (Kona), rented a place that looked nothing like the photos (Maui), and found out that our unit was an illegal sublet (Sonoma). I use airbnb/vrbo when those are the only options, but my preference is for timeshares. Just fewer issues.

In all fairness I like using timeshares too. I too have had timeshares that were dirty with cockroaches in the cupboards and toilets filled with residue

Only one bad experience with Airbnb too. So, not all timeshares are of high standards.

And yes I was in hotels that were disguising. So, it does happen everywhere but overall timeshares, Airbnb’s and hotels have been great experiences. Just a few rotten apples here and there

I’ve never paid more than 150 a night all in on any of the options.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI

A reality check. Airbnb may not have 'resort fees', they just call them 'service fees'. Same thing, different name, bigger dollar amount. If that airbnb is owned/managed by somebody else, then add another layer, only this time they usually call it a management fee. Some add a ridiculous amount for cleaning; I've seen up to $500 for cleaning. Whether airbnb or VRBO or whatever variation, they all add extra fees that can almost double the per night cost of the lodging. I was checking a 4 night stay in a small town on the Oregon Coast in the off season. Per night was $150 + tax + $90 service fee + $226 managers fee added $110/night to the bill. Vacasa is the worst at this and they seem to have taken over all the local management companies I've used in the past.

I'm also one who won't exchange into a resort that adds resort fees, and my personal pet peeve, housekeeping fees. I think it just encourages bad behavior and while in theory it shouldn't matter if the price is still right, it still ticks me off. The same thing goes for other rental lodging. Don't tell me the price is $150/night if it's really $260/night.

Sue

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
A reality check. Airbnb may not have 'resort fees', they just call them 'service fees'. Same thing, different name, bigger dollar amount. If that airbnb is owned/managed by somebody else, then add another layer, only this time they usually call it a management fee. Some add a ridiculous amount for cleaning; I've seen up to $500 for cleaning. Whether airbnb or VRBO or whatever variation, they all add extra fees that can almost double the per night cost of the lodging. I was checking a 4 night stay in a small town on the Oregon Coast in the off season. Per night was $150 + tax + $90 service fee + $226 managers fee added $110/night to the bill. Vacasa is the worst at this and they seem to have taken over all the local management companies I've used in the past.

I'm also one who won't exchange into a resort that adds resort fees, and my personal pet peeve, housekeeping fees. I think it just encourages bad behavior and while in theory it shouldn't matter if the price is still right, it still ticks me off. The same thing goes for other rental lodging. Don't tell me the price is $150/night if it's really $260/night.

Sue

Great points. One needs to watch for these extra fees everywhere. I too think its deceptive to charge a price and fee to death. If i see that on check out, i cancel the order. However there are many that the price quoted is all in or near all in. You just need to look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
It's a good thing I truly enjoy researching vacations and comparing costs. It is annoying to have to double check all the extra costs. I like Expedia and Travelocity cuz you can get your final cost before actually renting the room. My issue with vrbo/Airbnb is that there don't seem to be any checks or regulations. You can get screwed and there's no recourse except VRBO might remove the other from vrbo.