• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Purchase-Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, we got three times the points for our MFs. We're probably going to add on some direct points at CCV. If we throw it on our Sapphire (would pay it off right away), will we get three time the points on the whole purchase?

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I would like to know this, too. When we did a small DVC add-on a few years ago we used a Disney Chase VISA and got six months 0 interest before we paid the points off.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used our Disney Chase as well and also got the 2% back in Disney Rewards.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was reading the disboards thread called “I Love Credit Cards So Much” and calypso726 says DVC purchases do get the CSR three times rewards Ultimate Rewards points. She also does an interesting breakdown of different reward cards for DVC annual dues

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I was reading the disboards thread called “I Love Credit Cards So Much” and calypso726 says DVC purchases do get the CSR three times rewards Ultimate Rewards points. She also does an interesting breakdown of different reward cards for DVC annual dues
A woman after my own heart. I have a spreadsheet of our different credit cards and how each benefits us and which stores to use them.

Rick struggles with the fuel points at 4X on gift cards at King Soopers because he likes getting $35 off on gas. If you spend $250 on gift cards during 4X deals, you get $1.00 off up to 35 gallons.

What gift cards to buy? Our Chase Sapphire Reserve only gets 1X at the grocery store, but it gets 3X at restaurants. So I see no reason to buy restaurant gift cards at Kings. He says $35 off of gas is better than 3%, and you do still get 1% for the purchase at Kings.

So we used to buy Disney gift cards to get the fuel points, but I have the 3% off on maintenance fees with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I don't know if Disney AP's get 3X, but I know food at Disney does.

What I need is a credit card that gets 3% on grocery store purchases, but of course now King Soopers may stop taking Visa.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been using our Amex Blue Cash Everyday card (gives 3% back for grocery store purchases) to buy Disney Gift cards from our Meijer grocery store to renew our DVC annual passes. I buy the Disney gift cards when our local Meijer grocery store offers $5.00 in free groceries for every $50 in gift cards you buy up to $500 total. So the 3% and Meijer free groceries brings my gift card cost down to $435 for a $500 dollar gift card.

I have been paying our DVC maintenance fees monthly from our checking account, but probably should consider paying them with a rewards card instead.

Last edited:

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked at chase sapphire on chase website. It says 2% on travel and dining. What am I missing? I don’t see 3%.

Please help

Thanks,
Dee

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I just looked at chase sapphire on chase website. It says 2% on travel and dining. What am I missing? I don’t see 3%.

Please help

Thanks,
Dee
That is a different card. There are two different cards: Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve. The latter is the one you should get.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a different card. There are two different cards: Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve. The latter is the one you should get.

Thank you. I just looked at it. I think I do better with my Chase Disney Visa. It’s 2% on dining, Disney charges, gas, groceries, etc. Annual fee is $49. Discounts and limited time savings specials with DVC travel probably cover that fee each year on average. The reserve sapphire has a $450 annual fee plus $75 for my husband as another authorized user. I’d have to deduct that $525 from the amount I get back to pay MF. So for me, it doesn’t work.
But thanks for the info.

Dee

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. I just looked at it. I think I do better with my Chase Disney Visa. It’s 2% on dining, Disney charges, gas, groceries, etc. Annual fee is $49. Discounts and limited time savings specials with DVC travel probably cover that fee each year on average. The reserve sapphire has a $450 annual fee plus $75 for my husband as another authorized user. I’d have to deduct that $525 from the amount I get back to pay MF. So for me, it doesn’t work.
But thanks for the info.

Dee
You get $300 back when you book travel with the card. You also get Priority Pass Select membership, which is a lounge benefit that has saved us immensely. You get Global Entry every five years, too. I also benefit greatly from the car rental insurance benefit.

Rick and I each have the cards, but we pay tens of thousands of dollars in maintenance fees each year. Disney fees count as 3X. I have 500 Disney points, and about $3,000 in MF's. That's 9,000 points. After you pay those fees, you get $300 back with that card.

When you book travel through the Ultimate Rewards Portal, you save on that travel. You get 1.5X. So 100K points (our spend is quite a bit higher than that each year) nets you $1,500 in free travel. So a hotel room that costs $180 will be 12,000 points. The Swan and Dolphin cost about that much in cash, so 12,000 points is all you pay. It's a great card. I am seriously hooked.

Who says you cannot have two cards, anyway? I need a credit card that gets 2X on groceries. I will look into the Disney for us. I just have quite a few cards currently. It can be overwhelming for those one doesn't use, just in keeping up with the fees each month. But all of my cards have some benefit for the fees. IHG, free hotel night; Club Carlson, 40K in points (works out to one night each year); Hyatt, one free night (my personal favorite). Then there are the SW cards, which get additional points each year with renewal. Those more than cover the annual fee.

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
You get $300 back when you book travel with the card. You also get Priority Pass Select membership, which is a lounge benefit that has saved us immensely. You get Global Entry every five years, too. I also benefit greatly from the car rental insurance benefit.

Rick and I each have the cards, but we pay tens of thousands of dollars in maintenance fees each year. Disney fees count as 3X. I have 500 Disney points, and about $3,000 in MF's. That's 9,000 points. After you pay those fees, you get $300 back with that card.

When you book travel through the Ultimate Rewards Portal, you save on that travel. You get 1.5X. So 100K points (our spend is quite a bit higher than that each year) nets you $1,500 in free travel. So a hotel room that costs $180 will be 12,000 points. The Swan and Dolphin cost about that much in cash, so 12,000 points is all you pay. It's a great card. I am seriously hooked.

Who says you cannot have two cards, anyway? I need a credit card that gets 2X on groceries. I will look into the Disney for us. I just have quite a few cards currently. It can be overwhelming for those one doesn't use, just in keeping up with the fees each month. But all of my cards have some benefit for the fees. IHG, free hotel night; Club Carlson, 40K in points (works out to one night each year); Hyatt, one free night (my personal favorite). Then there are the SW cards, which get additional points each year with renewal. Those more than cover the annual fee.

100% agree. The Sapphire Reserve is the BEST card I've ever had. We got the 100,000 mile signup. We still have about 60,000 miles left. And in the about two years that we've had the card we've stayed in at least a dozen hotel rooms just on points (and our spending is nowhere near yours). And you can transfer the points to a number of other programs for even better redemptions. We just spend the weekend in Chicago at a Hyatt. It would have been $350-400 per night to stay on cash (or about 50,000 points through the Sapphire portal). We only used 24,000 points for the stay by transferring points to World of Hyatt. If you work the system, you can really maximize the system. There are even ways you can use miles to do Hawaii for 30,000 points per person roundtrip.

As mentioned, it says $450, but you get $300 back immediately. So, it's really only a $150 annual fee. And for us, it's 100% worth it. For us, we can't get the Disney card to do what the Sapphire will do. Everyone that I've referred to Sapphire Reserve has been thrilled with the card.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
100% agree. The Sapphire Reserve is the BEST card I've ever had. We got the 100,000 mile signup. We still have about 60,000 miles left. And in the about two years that we've had the card we've stayed in at least a dozen hotel rooms just on points (and our spending is nowhere near yours). And you can transfer the points to a number of other programs for even better redemptions. We just spend the weekend in Chicago at a Hyatt. It would have been $350-400 per night to stay on cash (or about 50,000 points through the Sapphire portal). We only used 24,000 points for the stay by transferring points to World of Hyatt. If you work the system, you can really maximize the system. There are even ways you can use miles to do Hawaii for 30,000 points per person roundtrip.

As mentioned, it says $450, but you get $300 back immediately. So, it's really only a $150 annual fee. And for us, it's 100% worth it. For us, we can't get the Disney card to do what the Sapphire will do. Everyone that I've referred to Sapphire Reserve has been thrilled with the card.

It does sound excellent for people who have as much travel time, expendable income and travel expenses as you do. We don't have as much timeshare ownership (a legacy week - cannot be enrolled but purchased resale at a savings of over $20,000 in a favorite destination and 400 DVC points) and no where near enough vacation time to use all the benefits and rewards points the card offers. We fly once or twice a year, and rarely farther than Florida and we don't really stay in paid for hotel rooms more than a long weekend a year. I'll look further into the card, but I don't think we'd use it enough (or can afford to) to get the most of the benefits.
However, I greatly appreciate the info on it. Have a great day and fun in your travels!
Dee

QueenDoOver

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another huge sapphire reserve fan. I just booked delta one sea to cdg for 50k points via virgin atlantic. $11000 seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another huge sapphire reserve fan. I just booked delta one sea to cdg for 50k points via virgin atlantic. $11000 seat

Good for you! Wow! That is my goal for some of those points. This is my plan for a future trip, at least a year out. We have never been to Europe. I am so looking forward to savings like that. We have 1.4 million points currently. I could be using some of those.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just signed up for the Citi Double Cash card that has no annual fee and gives you 2% on everything (1% when you buy and 1% when you pay your bill). There is a $150 bonus after you spend $500 on the card within 3 months. First time I have seen a bonus that high for the Citi double cash card.

QueenDoOver

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you! Wow! That is my goal for some of those points. This is my plan for a future trip, at least a year out. We have never been to Europe. I am so looking forward to savings like that. We have 1.4 million points currently. I could be using some of those.

That is a lot of points!!!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Yes the fee is $450, but as other have mentioned you get $300 cash back instantly on any travel, so that brings the annual down to $150. But you also get Global Entry paid which is $100 every 5 years, so that brings it down another $20 annually ($100/5=20). Now you are at $130. You also get a Priority Club Membership, which if you use only 1 time is about $50, bringing the annual down to $80. Which is great for the perks that you get.

This is my main travel and dining charge card.

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Closing the loop on this. We finally pulled the trigger on Copper Creek (since we decided not to wait for Riviera with the whole new resale restriction situation). Our points just hit our Ultimate Rewards account, and we did get 3x points. That should be good for two roundtrip tickets.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Another great reminder, if you have multiple Ultimate Rewards cards you can merge them into one card. So I have a fee free freedom card that does 5X a different vendors each quarter, this quarter is gas and drug stores. I also have an Ink card that give me 5K back on phone, cable and office supply stores. That 5X I earn I then move over the my Sapphire Reserve card and with the 50% extra points if I use it in the TRAVEL portal, that basically becomes a 7.5% bonus. Just have to move the points over periodically.

I have found that the hotels treat it as a 3rd party booking and that sucks, so I have stopped booking hotels for the most part in the portal. But I do use it for Air travel mostly. I have booked nearly 6K in travel for about 420K in UR points. I still have 436K left available, that is either $4,360 in Cash Back $6540 in travel. This is just a single person generating points over a 3 yrs timeframe. Getting 3X for Timeshare MFs which then turn into 4.5% back on air is one of the better card deals going around.

Now I have found the portal pretty good for domestic coach, it matches the airlines in terms of pricing, but with 50% bonus it ends up with about a 33% discount from the actual fare. Transferring UR points directly to the airline is still a better deal for Biz and First class International flights. You transfer and book via the airline instead of the portal.

It is nice to not have paid for an airfare out of pocket in the last 3 years.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
So will other timeshare system MF show as a travel expense for 3x the points? I do have to pay my DVC MF so I am glad that this was posted.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Wyndham MF gets 3x.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I live relatively close to a smaller airport with Southwest, transferring my Ultimate Rewards from my Sapphire typically gives me the value of $2 in SW for $1 in UR. It is great. Just paid my MF and got my bonus points. Should cover our flights in the fall completely.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Chase Sapphire Reserve is far and away better than Chase Sapphire Preferred. Don't let the $450 annual fee scare you away.

With CSR, you get $300 in travel credit - and reimbursement is fully automatic. As long as the charge chows up as a travel expense, Chase automatically credits you on the bill in which it showed up.
There are no forms to submit. It just happens. And you can check how much of your $300 credit has been used. If you are using TUG, then $300 in yearly travel is nothing. So the card really costs $150 per year. That's only about $60 more than Sapphire Preferred. The extra point you get on dining and travel with Reserve should more than make up for that.

But CSR has another perk that most cards don't have. That is PRIMARY car rental coverage. Most cards (including Chase Sapphire Preferred) have SECONDARY insurance. That means the credit card will pay whatever your main auto insurance does not pay - which means the incident is reported to your car insurance company, and your rates go up. With PRIMARY rental coverage, your auto insurance is never involved. You just need reserve and pay for your car rental using the Sapphire Reserve, and make sure to decline coverage with the rental agency. I had to use this one time and, boy, did it ever save me. We were staying at the Marriott Waiohai and I scraped a parking pillar while pulling out of our space. Wasn't pretty. But Chase covered the whole thing and my auto insurance was not involved. Would have cost me over $2000 without it. Had I used a secondary rental insurance, probably would have cost me $750, plus possibly higher insurance rates.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I need is a credit card that gets 3% on grocery store purchases, but of course now King Soopers may stop taking Visa.

I downgraded hubbies CSR to freedom and for April-July you get 5% at grocery and home improvement stores. Every now and then I sweep the points we accumulate on the quarterly 5% categories over into my UR account for use. Works for us.

EDITL Just realized this was an old thread :)