• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA page "responsibleexit.com"

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
how have I not seen this before?

this page seems to imply that all the resorts that are "participating developers" have some sort of owner exit program available, most are the ones already known but I see some others that I had previously not known had deedback programs.

if true, this is a fantastic boon for owners looking to exit many ownerships that have trouble selling on the resale market!

https://responsibleexit.com/

developers include:

bluegreen
capital resorts
wyndham
diamond
HGVC
HIVC
Hyatt
Margaritaville (wyndham)
marriott
shell
sheraton
vistana
welk resorts
westgate
westin
worldmark

again, most of these have had surrender programs for awahile, but there are a few in there that ive never seen an official announcement for. would be worth a shot to reference this page for any owner trying to exit from the above and failing to do so in the resale market!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
reading more into this page, i love the warning (and subsequent disclaimer so they dont anger the upfront fee companies that are still arda members)

If you're asked to pay an upfront fee, or wire money for a "service", "tax", or any other "requirement" for a sale to be completed, don't do it - that is a scam.
This does not include advertising fees that a legitimate reseller may ask an owner to pay up-front.

sooo...dont pay an upfront fee..thats a scam...unless the upfront fee is legitimate..then its cool!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It would be great if this is a real effort of the major timeshare companies to give member legitimate exits from ownership. The listed companies have links, some with more info then others, but still vague.

This is stated within the frequently asked questions on the website,
“There are no costs to the consultation service offered by ARDA-ROC or the referral service of the Coalition. Based on your particular situation, however, there may be reasonable fees associated with some of the exit solutions provided. These fees will be clearly disclosed to you during the review process of exiting your timeshare.” The big question is how much?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think most of the well known systems already have divulged their prices...ranging from 0 for wyndham, to 900 or so with westgate, maybe more for others depending on whats being offered back.

I would be interested to hear from folks who previously were denied deedbacks when asking (shell for instance, or capital resorts) if they would contact them again and reference this page.

surely if the resort is listed as a participating member, they would be hard pressed to tell an owner no who wanted out if they said they found the info thru the ARDA page(assuming its paid off).

its certainly worth a shot for any owner in that position!

Reactions: DrQ

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well with all these major TS companies now offering deed back programs, I guess it's in response to all these cancel/exit/rescue/relief/salvation companies. After all, in the end, these "cancel" companies just get the wheels rolling to get the timeshares back into the hands of the resorts (or the HOAs) by means of the Viking Ship, unwitting foreclosure, or negotiating of deed back methods.

So now it appears that the TS companies are just saying to owners who want out "Here, just come to us and cut out the middle man."

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
it is certainly a major shift in the industry..one we had suggested many many years ago!

now if the independent resorts begin to follow suit that would be a real game changer!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another question will weeks that were purchased resale have a way out? For example Bluegreen takes over a community or another system like Festiva at a resort. Will the original fixed week owners have an exit with Bluegreen?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very vague IMO. If the developers do not take back automatically any timeshare (and i doubt they do) it is IMHO just another form of scam. They take back the ones that have some value without paying anything for them and then they turn over and sell them again for tens of thousand of dollars. How compassionate!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
that is a common reaction no doubt...

but that solution is far better than offering zero help or options to owners who want out and are unable to even give their timeshares away!

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well with all these major TS companies now offering deed back programs, I guess it's in response to all these cancel/exit/rescue/relief/salvation companies. After all, in the end, these "cancel" companies just get the wheels rolling to get the timeshares back into the hands of the resorts (or the HOAs) by means of the Viking Ship, unwitting foreclosure, or negotiating of deed back methods.

So now it appears that the TS companies are just saying to owners who want out "Here, just come to us and cut out the middle man."
And the middle men are responding by changing their process. They will approach an owner who is ignorant of deedback programs and charge him thousands of dollars just for filling out the paperwork. That's actually a somewhat-legitimate business (like engaging a lawyer to do the same thing). Certainly more ethical than taking a fee and doing no advertising, or running a Viking ship operation.

Hmm...If I didn't already have a good retirement job.....

Larry

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Another question will weeks that were purchased resale have a way out? For example Bluegreen takes over a community or another system like Festiva at a resort. Will the original fixed week owners have an exit with Bluegreen?

I think that’s a great question. I think back to the thread on The a Manhattan Club and the outrageous MF’s/inability to book a room and wonder if BG will allow the mass exodus of owners from that resort.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm a "glass half empty" guy. If the developers and ARDA really want to help owners get rid of their timeshares, why don't they mention Tug, Ebay, Redweek, etc. This is just a baloney way to say, "Come to us first, if you're thinking of abandoning your timeshare." At the bottom of the page, they have a disclaimer that says, "if you have a mortgage loan, you still owe the lender." How helpful.

I don't think these guys jumped into this - they were pushed. ;)

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I guess I'm a "glass half empty" guy. If the developers and ARDA really want to help owners get rid of their timeshares, why don't they mention Tug, Ebay, Redweek, etc. This is just a baloney way to say, "Come to us first, if you're thinking of abandoning your timeshare." At the bottom of the page, they have a disclaimer that says, "if you have a mortgage loan, you still owe the lender." How helpful.

I don't think these guys jumped into this - they were pushed. ;)

Of course they were. They were pushed by their own actions of forcing people to keep their timeshares no matter the cost. It led to the Viking ship companies and the high fee, do nothing exit teams. They HAD to do something.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is a Viking ship operation?

Let's say I were operating a VS operation. What I would do is go to owners and say, "Pay me $1000 and I will get you out of your timeshare." I would set up a limited liability corporation (LLC) that I am fully prepared to see go under. I would then take the TSs from my various clients and transfer ownership of these into my LLC. I would avoid paying the MFs. After letting all these TSs go without paying, I would let the LLC go bankrupt with possession of all these TSs.

When it comes time to settle my assets, all these TSs would essentially be dumped onto the front door of the various resorts because no one else wants them.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think these guys jumped into this - they were pushed.

Pretty much. But at least they are realizing that they have to do something about this now rather than callously say, "You bought it. You signed a contract. It's your responsibility."

After all, how many desperate owners wanting to get out of their TSs come on to these boards asking about so-and-so exit/cancel/rescue company because they asked the resort if it will take the TS back but the resort responded with an emphatic "No!"?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also think these companies are realizing by taking some of these back, they don’t have to invest in a new build. They just recycle in selling. We pay them a fee to give it to them and they sell it for thousands.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Brian, when I click on the Vistana link on the responsibleexit.com webpage, it directs to me to Marriott Resales, Marriott is now taking back Vistana Timeshares??? Would this include both mandatory and voluntary properties?? I am not interested in giving back my vistana timeshare, I am totally enjoying the ownership, but was curious to see what Vistana had to say about returns..........has anybody tried to return Vistana Timeshares lately???

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Brian, when I click on the Vistana link on the responsibleexit.com webpage, it directs to me to Marriott Resales, Marriott is now taking back Vistana Timeshares??? Would this include both mandatory and voluntary properties?? I am not interested in giving back my vistana timeshare, I am totally enjoying the ownership, but was curious to see what Vistana had to say about returns..........has anybody tried to return Vistana Timeshares lately???

im not sure, could be just a bad link on a new page...or could be related to the marriott/vistana merger?

KossB

Reaction score
Brian began this thread by asking "How have I not seen this before?"

It appears to be relatively new. A superficial review of the WHOIS record for the domain responsibleexit.com indicates that it was registered for the first time in July, 2018.

WHOIS data is not always accurate. And the record for this particular domain does not disclose the identity of the owner. But on the surface, the site appears to be legitimately built by ARDA.

BMK

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess it was more a rhetorical question =D

I mean if those of us relatively "in tune" with the latest in the timeshare industry had no idea about this page or this new strategy/partnership...how would one expect any regular owner to discover it.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
I also think these companies are realizing by taking some of these back, they don’t have to invest in a new build. They just recycle in selling. We pay them a fee to give it to them and they sell it for thousands.
Bluegreen calls it "capital-light."
As the old TV beer commercials used to say, "Capital Lite from Bluegreen. Everything you've always wanted in a timeshare project...and less!"

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, great discovery. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Brian, can you saved this as a sticky or add this to Timeshating 101 to help current owners or future timeshare owners.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Meanwhile I’m still trying to get SDO to take the $5.00 they put on my invoice and it’s always a 4-6 phone call experience each year