• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another Reason I Don't Like Cruises

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It's also why we couldn't care less about views. I would never buy an oceanfront, or pay $1 more for the view.

Yes, I was aware of your indifference for views. OTOH, I am a view fanatic and will pay a premium for it. But I am lazy and enjoy hanging out in my room and enjoying the view.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I’ll stick with my Tradewinds sailings.

Max of 10 people on board, different snorkeling spots twice a day, self-service bar 24/7, great food, beautiful islands, excursions, get to meet interesting people.

0B4198F9-DE46-4068-AB38-CB8E21C2FB83.jpeg
DA167742-8A66-4CB0-A583-F5EF1772AC86.jpeg
345556E2-B35A-4D42-962F-BBE9D247129F.jpeg

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Not many pirates in the Mediterranean. Where do you think they'll be based?

Perhaps she was thinking of the Barbary Pirates of North Africa.
Not to worry, the U.S. Navy put them out of business circa 1815.

Last edited:

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd invite you on a cruise Mary Ann, but my wife would probably disapprove. Of course, you and your husband could get your own room. :)

We took our first cruise three years ago, which was just about the right time in our lives. The floating hotel went to Bermuda, stayed three nights in Hamilton, and then back to Boston. We really enjoyed it. Last year we did New England Coasts, Boston back to Boston. Again, we enjoyed it. Food service, nice meals, dress up a couple of nights. It is relaxing and enjoyable. In April we head to Tampa for a Western Caribbean cruise. We have a room overlooking the wake. We hear moonlit nights and the wake are very enjoyable and relaxing. Cruising on HAL is relaxing. Smaller ships, older clientele, slow pace.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of a river cruise on the Danube River one day. I am interested in the pros and cons of the various river cruise lines. What are your thoughts?
Not having a lot of experience to be able to make an informed comparison, we've been spoiled by AMAWaterways. They have treated us as royalty. We had occasion last Summer to spend several days with a port agent who works with most river cruise lines and he said there are less problems and a very positive working arrangement with this Basel Switzerland based carrier. I had to leave the cruise early due to emergency medical problems. AMA checked on me daily, and after getting back home to the US, I got flowers and a personal note from the owner and president of the company. For us, there is only ONE river cruise company.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ha, ha, LOL. I think it is fine that you are a land person and not a water person. We are all different. I am a big time water person. I joke that I should have been a mermaid! LOL

It's funny because I love water and being in it. But not being on a cruise ship. I like getting off the cruise ship and doing the land excursions and exploring. I feel confined on a ship and I also am intimidated being way out in the ocean in the middle of nowhere- especially once you lose sight of land and only see endless water.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Not many pirates in the Mediterranean. Where do you think they'll be based?

I am not talking about "Pirates of the Caribbean"... think about U.S.S. Cole, Captain Philips....look at a map...coast of Africa, Middle East.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We consider cruises as scouting trips and we both love being on the water. It's an easy was to visit a number of places without packing and unpacking every day. You can't see much on a 6 hour excursion, but you can get an idea if you'd want to come back for a longer visit. The only cruise we're likely to repeat is Alaska. It was also one of our favorites.

Even on larger ships, you don't feel like it's crowded. They have plenty of dinning rooms and excursions are staggered. The biggest problem with a large ship is that it may be a long walk to get where you want to go. We're not that social. We usually dine alone and avoid on-board organized activities. We do enjoy the enrichment lectures, though. On the last cruise we took, the guest lecturer was Shelley Bonus, the Session Director of the Mt. Wilson Observatory. She gave several entertaining astronomy lectures.

Cruise ships have very strict security, much like an airport. They also are sticklers for hand sanitation. They make you use the sanitizers every time you enter a dining room and encourage all to wash their hands frequently. Considering the number of cruises each year, outbreaks happen a low percentage of the time, and make big news when one happens. The week following a cruise ship disaster is a good time to get a deal on a future cruise. :D

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed cruising, sailboat sailing, riverboat cruising, cataram sailing and timeshare resort vacation cruising.:D

The only thing I disliked on the ocean waters is when I am on my son small twin engine boat; because there is no dining facilities or sky lounge on his boat for relaxing .:p

Hopefully, next month we will be cruising on the new Celebrity Cruise Lines ship
called The Edge in Aqua Class with their new Infinity IV balcony.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
TravelTime, some of the very best riverboat cruising are found in Europe. You can read more about riverboat cruising at the Cruises Critics website. There is a whole Forum dedicated to riverboat cruising. There are less people on a riverboat cruise, the dining and the service is impeccable IMHO.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I am not talking about "Pirates of the Caribbean"... think about U.S.S. Cole, Captain Philips....look at a map...coast of Africa, Middle East.

The USS Cole was in the Gulf of Aden near Yemen, and Captain Phillips was based on Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean near Somalia - which is also near the Gulf of Aden. Most of the popular Mediterranean cruises stay close to the coasts of Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and into the Adriatic. That's quite a ways (thousands of miles and in a different ocean/sea) from the pirate areas near Yemen and Somalia. I've heard many cruise lines that have itineraries that traverse the area with pirate/terror risk take on additional security before passage through those waters.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake

No, you were talking about pirates in the Mediterranean. The references you made about the USS Cole, Captain Philips etc is irrelevant to the Mediterranean as these all happened off the coast of East Africa, Middle East, nowhere near the Mediterranean. There are no pirates in the Med and there is a zero threat of them.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The majority of cruise ships that sail near pirate waters are heavily arm with hi tech weapons and a very strong security staff to protect the cruise ship and its passengers.

Any pirate ship IMHO that pose a threat to a cruise ship will be dealt with.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It's good the ships are taking precautions. They should.

I am well aware of where these activities took place. They were cited because they were illustrative of what could happen. No one thought the horrific attack in Nice (Yes, on the Mediterranean and in France) would happen either.

And...ahem, if you haven't noticed, the Middle East and unsettled countries on the north coast of Africa are ALSO on the Mediterranean.

Everyone's tolerance for risk is different. As I said, "This is just me." If you are fine with the potential risks then go for it.

We will agree to disagree.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
My fear of cruise ships (no doubt totally without merit) is for a major terrorist event on one of them...

George

Wait, you mean Sandra Bullock is NOT on your cruise ship?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Something we do not worry about because Patti gets Sea sick standing on a Dock.

You realize the opportunities here don't you?
The next time Patti sees a sale at Penney's (or wherever), just show her something like this:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I was aware of your indifference for views. OTOH, I am a view fanatic and will pay a premium for it. But I am lazy and enjoy hanging out in my room and enjoying the view.

If I were ever to take a cruise, this would be high on my list of priorities as well!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am well aware of where these activities took place. They were cited because they were illustrative of what could happen. No one thought the horrific attack in Nice ...
Wait a minute! In Nice, it was a truck that plowed people down on a sidewalk. Same thing in London. Or Charlottesville. And in Oklahoma City it was fertilizer. And in Connecticut and Florida a teen goes berserk. These are things that the victims had no warning of or defense against.

And absolutely zero to do with cruising in any way, shape or form. So live your life like you want. On your terms. And if at some point your number comes up, you can be satisfied that you didn't live in a bunker, fearful of things you can't control.

Jim

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, risks in living in R/L are enuff without being fearful
of ones which don't exist, or exaggerating minor ones.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I’ll stick with my Tradewinds sailings.

Max of 10 people on board, different snorkeling spots twice a day, self-service bar 24/7, great food, beautiful islands, excursions, get to meet interesting people.

View attachment 9838 View attachment 9837 View attachment 9836
We just did French Polynesia Tradewinds in November, and omg it was the most fun time I have ever had! We actually thought about buying a full boat and inviting a bunch of friends, but it turns out that only one couple was interested. Most of our friends were almost horrified by the thought of a catamaran cruise. Issues mentioned: seasickness (understand), being "stuck" on the boat, not enough to do at night, small cabins, not liking the food, yadda, yadda, yadda. Now I understand why there is a club. It's tough to find enough like minded folks to do a cruise.

Anyway, everyone has their thing. And as someone told me years ago, it's a good thing that we don't all like the same things, otherwise no one would be able to find their car in the parking lot.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You can justify it any way you want and continue to cruise the Mediterranean, that's not my business. Please respect mine and avoid personal attacks.

LoL If I lived in a bunker I would go off grid and never travel at all.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please do not live, Life in Fear of cruising, flying, driving an automobile, losing a job or anything to stop you from fully enjoying life.

Life is just to short and unpredictable to worry. IMHO

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Re: differences

I don't like eating fish. I have eaten it a lot because I eat it to be polite, but yuck, it tastes like fish. And, man, I don't like the taste. You may as well have told some people that their baby is ugly, they try so hard to convince me that fish tastes good. I am sure that it does - to them but not for me. Y'all know that it tastes like fish? All of it. Just like beef tastes like beef, and brussels sprouts taste like brussels sprouts. Those I like, but fish, no way. So even though some in my family have made it their mission to get me to like fish, I can safely say that after almost 60 years, I am not going to change my mind about this. I wish that they would just leave me in peace and order their salmon and let me eat my pork chop, because their happiness in enjoying their fish does not hinge on me enjoying it as well.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Everyone obviously has to do what they are comfortable with, and shouldn't do things they are not comfortable with. But I think what some people here are trying to say is there is risk everywhere. Terrorism has happened in virtually every country on the planet, so I'm not sure the risk in a trip to the Mediterranean is really that much different than the risk of a trip to New York, London, or Paris. All have experience with terror. The Middle East is also no longer the only source for terror. Much of it - while maybe inspired by actors in the Middle East - is home grown in each nation. There are also many terrorist activities (Oklahoma City, Charlottesville) that have nothing to do with the Middle East.

While I don't think I'll be planning any trips to Yemen, Baghdad, or Mogadishu, the European Med seems fine to me. I know in our recent Med cruise, I was more concerned about pickpockets in the cities than terrorists. But our kids, who have traveled in Europe more than we have, told me I was being paranoid. We all have our issues.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In my trips which included Mediterranean coasts (4), the only incident was my DW's wallet being lifted outside Buckingham Palace, London... not eggsactly hotbed of pirates, but a valuable lesson about money-pouches nonetheless.