• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Timers to Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

KDP1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Morning All - happy new year! My GF and I are visiting the Puerto Vallarta area for the first time (exchange via II). We are not owners at Grand Luxxe, so I am wondering if anyone has some advice for us in terms of what to avoid, transportation from the airport, and best ways to get around both within the resort and in the vicinity of the resort. It looks to be a very large resort but we are both active for our ages :)

Thanks in advance - appreciate the wisdom of TUGGers!

Kevin and Linda

P.S.: We chose not to do the all inclusive due to her restrictive "diet".

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The airport transportation to the resort is included in your fees, so take that. There are a lot of wooden walkways to get around the resort and shuttle trams. To leave the resort, you have 2 options - take a taxi, or walk down the beach to the Sea Garden and then a block or so and catch a bus or taxi from there. Do a search in this forum for more information.

The resort does not have an all-inclusive option. You can purchase meal coupons from the concierge - some people do, but many do not. We tend to take a taxi to Mega in Bucerias, but will check out the new LaComer (just across the street) on our next visit. I personally think it will be more like Mega was before it was bought out by Soriana. These are like any giant supermarket in the US with great deli and plentiful supplies. We buy things for breakfast, lunch and beverages to have in our unit. You did not say what size unit you have. If it is a Suite or Master Suite, you will have a kitchen. If it is the Studio (lock-out) you will have a coffeemaker and small dorm sized refrigerator. A few of these have a microwave, but most do not. I do not know about the Spa Studios. Check this link for unit information https://www.vidanta.com/web/nuevo-vallarta/grand-luxxe-suites It will give you specifics.

Avoid the breakfast and presentation if you can. It will take the better part of a day. They tell you 90 minutes, but that starts when you sit down in the sales room. It does not include the breakfast and tour of the property and model units.

You will have a great vacation. The Joy Squad will have lot of activities during the day. Check your booklet for things to do at the resort.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Vidanta actually provides transportation from the airport; you should be able to find instructions on your confirmation to sign up. You’ll have to pay for the taxi back when you leave (~180 pesos).

There are a number of posts on how to get off the resort on foot; short story is to walk north on beach to the Sea Garden, then go through its lobby and catch a bus to get to PV or wherever. There is a farmers and craft market near there Saturdays and another at the other side of the Marina on Tuesdays. There’s another one in the PV Marina on Thursday nights, too.

Vidanta has an app for the resort that is worth downloading. It includes a map that uses your phone’s gps, too.

The sales presentation has quite the reputation. Only go if you have an interest in buying and are willing to give up a day.

Read through the threads on Grand Luxxe here for more info. We like the Havana Moon, Epazote, and Costa Azure restaurants on the resort; Eddies in the marina area off the resort, though we had a lot of recommendations for Titi’s and Sonora al Sud; and El Patron in PV.

Vallarta Eats food tours are good, but you’ll need to book yourself over the internet rather than through the resort’s tour agents. The tequila tour on the resort is also worth doing.

As you’re staying in Grand Luxxe, you can use the hydrotherapy portion of the spa free for an hour per day, but will need to book it; your concierge can do this.

There is coffee service from 7:00 to 10:30 daily near where you’re concierge sits. We always buy our own milk instead of using the artificial creamer they provide; personal preference. We also drink the tap water with no issues, though they stock the rooms with bottled water for sale.

Note the names of service people that treat you right so you can acknowledge them in your check out survey and/or on trip advisor; it makes a big difference to them. Also, you have to ask for envelopes to tip the maids in Vallarta; they automatically provide them in Riviera Maya. Treat them right; there are a number of very lowly paid single mothers working there.

Enjoy your stay! We always do.:thumbup:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The La Comer and Mega Phyllis mentioned are in Bucerias, not across the street from Vidanta. For getting out in town, they now list the standard taxi fares on the app in the info section for the resort locations. We generally stock up at the OXXO by the Sea Garden, but have also gone to Sams and Walmart. Might try the Comer this year, though, as we heard it’s very nice.

hellolani

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
They serve free mini popsicles at the GL pools at 1 and 4 each day. We're going back in May and looking forward to it. Anyone else overlapping on May 17 to 31?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We should be down there the 26th of May. Let’s see if we can meet up.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
They serve free mini popsicles at the GL pools at 1 and 4 each day. We're going back in May and looking forward to it. Anyone else overlapping on May 17 to 31?

I love this post -

hellolani - should we message the sales manager, that you will buy this time ,in return for a lifetime supply
of free mini popsicles .

LOL

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those popsicles are pretty good, even the bubblegum flavored ones, but I’d put the “free” at least in air quotes. And the clean your sunglasses at 2:00 IIRC

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
We should be down there the 26th of May. Let’s see if we can meet up.

Eric we would love that! We have a 3BR booked and the last 2 times that put us in Punta, so I'm expecting the same this time. I've got 2 kids and 1 still naps and we schedule everything to try to get down in time for popsicles and crafts with the Joy Squad. LOL!

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love this post -

hellolani - should we message the sales manager, that you will buy this time ,in return for a lifetime supply
of free mini popsicles .

LOL
I may actually skip the presentation this time. They were SO SO mad at me last time. And I just can't help shooting my mouth off in a way that makes it obvious I know the system better than their first up to bat rep, so I get handed up to a manager real quick. Then again 300 hundred dollars is 300 hundred dollars.

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Don't forget free morning coffee in every GL floor. They are good!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree about the coffee, but always pick up my own milk to use instead of the creamer they provide. In RM, they provide real milk.

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's the current II exchangers fees charged? Last I heard it was $30 USD pp/pd adults and $15 USD pp/pd kids under... can't remember. And then $75 USD per week for the resort fee or tax or something. My current exchange in May was booked when it was still $11pp/pd, and nothing for my kids +$75 per week, so just want to be sure I know what's up before I book out 2020.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
It's a fixed price per room now and varies with the size. If you're booking through Interval, you only see it when you select the week and start the reservation process. It will be on the screen after the guest certificate question but before you confirm the reservation.
In RCI it's these prices (they can sometimes differ from Interval)

upload_2019-1-10_12-17-24.png

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chantal! Would love any comments on II as I don't have an RCI account.

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
I may actually skip the presentation this time. They were SO SO mad at me last time. And I just can't help shooting my mouth off in a way that makes it obvious I know the system better than their first up to bat rep, so I get handed up to a manager real quick. Then again 300 hundred dollars is 300 hundred dollars.
Wear your tug tee shirt that's what I'm doing if we go to our presentation

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks Chantal! Would love any comments on II as I don't have an RCI account.

Hi hellolani,

Resort fee is now per unit based on number of bedrooms .
same $ for all brands / per resort location .
I believe II and RCI are the same .

I believe cd5/ Chantal posted the Nuevo rate
RM is now less than NV - likely due to all the Mayan Palace units in RM

rate is lower at other locations that don’t have GL

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide any information on the inter resort shuttle service...complimentary??...scheduled??...where can you catch a ride on one?? Also, any info on drinks and food service at the various pools would be appreciated.

As for the presentation, I know better than to take it but the financial compensation is tempting. When we were at Lagunamar in November I grudgingly agreed to the presentation because our "personal conceriege" begged us so persistently to sign up for one. I made it clear right from the get go we weren't going to buy another time share. When the rep came to the part with the Star Options chart I commented on what 37,000 points (which is what they were offering) could get me as an exchange and the sales rep abruptly gave it up and got the manager to sign off on the financial compensation. Presentation wasn't even the full 90 minutes for $150 USD compensation and I must say they were extremely gracious the entire time despite the fact it was clearly a pointless exercise. How would a Vidanta presentation compare to that if you make it clear from the get go that no way now how are you buying another timeshare or right to use week.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
[QUOTE="amanven, post: 2234011, member: 31355"
As for the presentation, ...I know better than to take it but the financial compensation is tempting ...... How would a Vidanta presentation compare to that if you make it clear from the get go that no way now how are you buying another timeshare or right to use week.[/QUOTE]

Good breakfast & tour of the resort and model suites .
Very enjoyable .

90 (+) minutes starts when you reach the sales floor .
They won’t give up .

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Can anyone provide any information on the inter resort shuttle service...complimentary??...scheduled??...where can you catch a ride on one?? Also, any info on drinks and food service at the various pools would be appreciated.

There are stretched golf carts - shuttle service . The have specific routes & stops.

Lots of restaurants on resort - room key wristband works for all charges .

All Vidanta brand levels have daily full housekeeping and towel replacement .
Please tip the housekeeper(s) and other service staff - as it is an important part of their income,
and when you check out please fill out the ipad based review of staff & resort . If service was excellent ,
please say so - as doing so is important to staff . If you can , use names and roles .

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico

As for the presentation, I know better than to take it but the financial compensation is tempting. When we were at Lagunamar in November I grudgingly agreed to the presentation because our "personal conceriege" begged us so persistently to sign up for one. I made it clear right from the get go we weren't going to buy another time share. When the rep came to the part with the Star Options chart I commented on what 37,000 points (which is what they were offering) could get me as an exchange and the sales rep abruptly gave it up and got the manager to sign off on the financial compensation. Presentation wasn't even the full 90 minutes for $150 USD compensation and I must say they were extremely gracious the entire time despite the fact it was clearly a pointless exercise. How would a Vidanta presentation compare to that if you make it clear from the get go that no way now how are you buying another timeshare or right to use week.
We are on a fixed week so we use that to or advantage. They don't sell fixed weeks any more and that's all we would be interested in buying and they don't sell them for $500. While there are still some resales for that price. But your taking up there time so they won't screw someone else. Lol

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit confused. So how much do all the Vidanta "fees" add up to in USD for a 1 week stay in a 1 bedroom suite.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are on a fixed week so we use that to or advantage. They don't sell fixed weeks any more and that's all we would be interested in buying and they don't sell them for $500. While there are still some resales for that price. But your taking up there time so they won't screw someone else. Lol

Your fixed week is at Costa Sur Resort & Spa - correct ?

I do not think fixed weeks were ever sold by Vadanta / Grupo Mayan / Vidafel

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I was wondering more specifically about waiter service of drinks and food to the loungers pool side.

All the various pools have staff for poolside service - you give them your room number for billing . Tip can be added when you sign the bill ; or give cash tips if you prefer .

Last edited: