• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
So, if the 3BR sold for $35K, at 10,500 DPs, that's $3.30/point, which I think is just under the thresholds discussed earlier in this thread. Looks like $40K might be the minimum for a 3BR now, though maybe influenced by 2019 ROFR budget...which is an unknown at this point.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Maui Lahaina 3BR Week 46, before Thanksgiving.

I had inquired and broker said it just got taken by Marriott. They haven’t disclosed unit number or price, but were recommending an offer of $40k for 3BR. Guessing it went for $35k.

Wonder if new 2019 ROFR money influenced that.

I agree with Steven -- that's surprising that this was ROFR'd. I guess Steven and I were really lucky to slip ours past the goalie if the door is closing. My last one was $35K and I think his was about the same, for better weeks than Week 46.

We may see a newly evolving Marriott world where the very best weeks are ROFR'd and Trusted with less sensitivity to the sale price. Interesting and thanks for posting this.

Best,

Greg

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
So, if the 3BR sold for $35K, at 10,500 DPs, that's .33 ratio, which I think is just under the thresholds discussed earlier in this thread. Looks like $40K might be the minimum for a 3BR now, though maybe influenced by 2019 ROFR budget...which is an unknown at this point.

Don't you mean $3.33/point instead of .33?

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Update: The documents have been sent to be recorded today.

Final Update: I received the email notice from Marriott today. The transfer of ownership at MARRIOTT SHADOW RIDGE ENCLAVES has been completed. This is not bad for an Ebay purchase of $1. I had given up for a while on getting anything on Ebay, but this purchase proves that all things are possible. The owner paid all fees.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
FYI, Marriott just exercised their ROFR on my $29,100 offer (seller to pay closing costs) for a 2-bedroom Oceanfront Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Lahaina Tower, annual floating week.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
FYI, Marriott just exercised their ROFR on my $29,100 offer (seller to pay closing costs) for a 2-bedroom Oceanfront Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Lahaina Tower, annual floating week.
Bummer!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Wow. Means it would take $30K+ to secure a 2BR OF. With a point value of 7475, when those are added to the Trust, they will have cost MVC $3.89/point.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Wow! I’d started to assume it was going to take $35k, or $40k to safely clear in the future. I wonder if early in the year budget influences these or is it really a $/point threshold of $4.

Eagerly awaiting to see the next MOC 2BR OF old building sale threshold. A number of those on the market at $20k or so.

And for clarity, you got it for $28k and added closing to contract making it $29,100, which is what Marriott paid.

(Just a datapoint addendum...spoke to broker that had a listing of three MOC 2BR OF floating weeks at $60K. Seller accepted $54K and Marriott took them, not unexpectedly at $18K each. $18K was super low price even two years ago.)

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The more of these ROFR exercises I see, I'm feeling better and better about our little EOY-Odd 2BR OV MOC original building we got past ROFR at $8,000 almost exactly one year ago. I can't even remember seeing another EOY-Odd 2BR OV even listed since then.

Looking forward to our trip in less than two months! First time back to Hawaii since 2011!

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very surprising.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Wow! I’d started to assume it was going to take $35k, or $40k to safely clear in the future. I wonder if early in the year budget influences these or is it really a $/point threshold of $4.

Eagerly awaiting to see the next MOC 2BR OF old building sale threshold. A number of those on the market at $20k or so.

And for clarity, you got it for $28k and added closing to contract making it $29,100, which is what Marriott paid.
Seller wanted buyer to pay closing (of course). I asked the agent if he had any understanding of what has passed ROFR recently. He said he thought one passed at $28k. So I said, okay, then I'll offer $29,100 if seller pays closing (thinking that would create a little cushion on the ROFR). I don't know if Marriott is paying that or if the adjust for closing, recognizing that the gain to the seller would only be $28k after closing costs.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The more of these ROFR exercises I see, I'm feeling better and better about our little EOY-Odd 2BR OV MOC original building we got past ROFR at $8,000 almost exactly one year ago. I can't even remember seeing another EOY-Odd 2BR OV even listed since then.

Looking forward to our trip in less than two months! First time back to Hawaii since 2011!

I currently have an EOY-Odd OF 2-Bed in the new buildings. I've been looking for an even year to turn it into an annual in effect, but haven't seen one come up over the past year or so. So, I thought I'd just buy an annual and either rent out the odd-year or stay for a couple of weeks every other year (not such a bad deal... in fact, with lock off could stay for a month, but if I did that I'm not sure I'd be able to extract my wife back into the real world). I paid $13.5k for the EOY-Odd a couple of years back. That tells me prices are MOC are holding steady or going up!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We recently bought a Platinum Newport Coast Villas unit which passed ROFR for $7,800 and the seller paid the closing costs. It was listed for $7,500 plus closing costs and I proposed the final arrangement which was accepted. I added it to the database. We debated adding this resort, which we love, to our portfolio, but decided to move forward so we can escape the summer heat in Las Vegas. Looking forward to it.

Best regards.

Mike

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked back and in 2017 I bought the same unit and it passed at $19,700. It's very interesting to see when and where they executed ROFR. From what I've seen it is sometimes hard to figure out the rhythm or reason.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I looked back and in 2017 I bought the same unit and it passed at $19,700. It's very interesting to see when and where they executed ROFR. From what I've seen it is sometimes hard to figure out the rhythm or reason.

It can definitely be somewhat unpredictable, but from this thread it definitely seems they have been much more aggressive in buying back at higher prices for the last year or so. That fits with what senior management has been telling investment analysts during their quarterly earnings conference calls - inventory repurchase is their main strategy now to build lower. most inventory for resale in the trust, more so than new property construction, which is higher cost. Until we have a true economic slowdown, the days of cheap prime weeks may be over for a while.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch

Mox, I believe your eBay $19K Lahaina and the $17K MOC by Hangloose, both 2BR OF, were the lowest I remember since 2017 for MOC, until you go back to 2013 on ROFR.net.

For folks that want out of their weeks, at least at MOC, a new strategy might be finding a buyer that wouldn't mind getting a week cheap, but if it got ROFR'd they wouldn't really care....sell a bit below market, but above a giveaway price and basically target Marriott as the buyer. I bet the three or four listed on Redweek for under $25K could do that and even save their broker fees going direct. Just have to find a 'buyer'.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Mox, I believe your eBay $19K Lahaina and the $17K MOC by Hangloose, both 2BR OF, were the lowest I remember since 2017 for MOC, until you go back to 2013 on ROFR.net.

For folks that want out of their weeks, at least at MOC, a new strategy might be finding a buyer that wouldn't mind getting a week cheap, but if it got ROFR'd they wouldn't really care....sell a bit below market, but above a giveaway price and basically target Marriott as the buyer. I bet the three or four listed on Redweek for under $25K could do that and even save their broker fees going direct. Just have to find a 'buyer'.
Let me put a different twist on this. Let's assume there are 2 or 3 for sale at $28k. It would make no sense for Marriott not to just buy those as opposed to exercising a ROFR at $30k. So, one would hope buyers would not bite at those ROFR setups. Seems to me the key to getting past ROFR would be to have a sale for more than the lowest on the market. I wonder if Marriott ever just buys right off the Redweek for sale list? If you're Marriott, why not just offer someone selling for $28k about $27k, rather than a ROFR at $29k?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Really? $19,700? For a 2-bed OF Lahaina/Napili annual unit? That's a great buy!

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

I think Marriott ROFR will ebb and flow. Appears MVCI is picking up a lot of weeks recently via ROFR, especially high value weeks like Hawaii. A few years ago they were not. When I purchased my MOC a couple years ago as Ralph indicated, I felt at that time that I got a 'fair' price. Not a steal but not bad price either. Watching ROFR over the past year has made me feel a bit better about my purchase given recent ROFR trends are much higher. I suggest those looking to purchase MOC, either keep trying at reasonable price points to pass ROFR...or rent for a year and try and purchase at a later point when ROFR slows. It will happen eventually.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I think Marriott ROFR will ebb and flow. Appears MVCI is picking up a lot of weeks recently via ROFR, especially high value weeks like Hawaii. A few years ago they were not. When I purchased my MOC a couple years ago as Ralph indicated, I felt at that time that I got a 'fair' price. Not a steal but not bad price either. Watching ROFR over the past year has made me feel a bit better about my purchase given recent ROFR trends are much higher. I suggest those looking to purchase MOC, either keep trying at reasonable price points to pass ROFR...or rent for a year and try and purchase at a later point when ROFR slows. It will happen eventually.

I got my MOC 2BR OF at about the same time for $18K and was real happy, particularly as EOY weeks were maybe $10-$12K, if I remember correctly.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Just received notice that I passed Marriott ROFR on an Annual Desert Springs Villas II White season week for $0 plus closing fees (found on Redweek). Marriott exercised ROFR on a $1 price for the Marriott Legends Edge Platinum week on 12/19/18.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received notice that I passed Marriott ROFR on an Annual Desert Springs Villas II White season week for $0 plus closing fees (found on Redweek). Marriott exercised ROFR on a $1 price for the Marriott Legends Edge Platinum week on 12/19/18.
With the higher fees right now at LE, that was likely a blessing they took it.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I’ve posted this in another thread, but question for the group on this thread....

Is $5000 for a Aruba Surf Club 2br floating gold Oceanside view (weeks 18-50 MF$1870) resale a good deal, decent deal or bad deal? When I was recently there on tour Marriott was selling the same week (with ability to convert the week to 2575 DC points) for somewhere between $18-20k (don’t remember the exact amount or view) which I obviously declined.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
As I said in the other thread, that’s about the going price for Oceanside. Based on the points you mentioned- the week at Marriott presentation must have been garden view. Keep in mind the resale week will not be eligible to enroll in points program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk