• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Air Service to Hilton Head Island

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
For those MVC owners who fly to HHI, there are lots of new options into the small but convenient Hilton Head airport. Until recently, the only service was on American Eagle Dash 8 turboprops through Charlotte. Last year, American Eagle switched to larger Embraer 175 regional jets for the Charlotte flights. AA is also starting flights from Hilton Head to Washington National.

United will soon begin flying to Washington/Dulles, Chicago, and Newark.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/article220049630.html

Now apparently Delta is set to announce the start of service from Atlanta, offering yet another connection alternative.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/b...GooFe9nXkBMBvQXXZle0ucaHDhMFOQRD2NtH8IiqgQ6n8

That's a lot of new service in a short period of time. It will be interesting to see how it all goes.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are flying to Chicago from Hilton Head in April on United using frequent flyer miles. We’re going to stay at the Marriott on N. Michigan Ave. using the five night award.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
For those MVC owners who fly to HHI, there are lots of new options into the small but convenient Hilton Head airport. Until recently, the only service was on American Eagle Dash 8 turboprops through Charlotte. Last year, American Eagle switched to larger Embraer 175 regional jets for the Charlotte flights. AA is also starting flights from Hilton Head to Washington National.

United will soon begin flying to Washington/Dulles, Chicago, and Newark.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/article220049630.html

Now apparently Delta is set to announce the start of service from Atlanta, offering yet another connection alternative.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/b...GooFe9nXkBMBvQXXZle0ucaHDhMFOQRD2NtH8IiqgQ6n8

That's a lot of new service in a short period of time. It will be interesting to see how it all goes.

Jim, this is awesome news for those of us in NJ...flying non-stop from Newark to HHH non-stop will save us quite a bit of time as we usually drive to JFK to fly JetBlue to SAV.
Only downside is that service will only be on Saturdays. I checked the fare on inaugural flights on April 6-13th and at $386, its not a bad price.
Thanks for sharing this!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at Surf Watch now and the AA Embraer just took off and flew over the resort. I look forward to the additional jet options, but it may get a little noisier at Barony and Surf Watch.

Although I typically avoid them, Allegiant now offers non-stop flights from CVG to SAV. My daughter will likely fly them to meet me here in a couple weeks. They aren't bad if nothing goes wrong and are worth the risk to avoid a layover in ATL.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
@JIMinNC, you just saved me come coin. After seeing your post, I just booked Delta through ATL to HHH for our Sept trip. Comfort + seating was only $316 a person. Plus I had a $370 e-credit I would have had trouble using before it expired because we don't travel Delta much. So got 2 of us booked in Comfort + for under $300 all in..... and I don't have to drive to/from Charleston or Savannah airport. Drinks are on me if we ever meet up at Grande Ocean one of these years Jim.

Reactions: jme

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
@JIMinNC, you just saved me come coin. After seeing your post, I just booked Delta through ATL to HHH for our Sept trip. Comfort + seating was only $316 a person. Plus I had a $370 e-credit I would have had trouble using before it expired because we don't travel Delta much. So got 2 of us booked in Comfort + for under $300 all in..... and I don't have to drive to/from Charleston or Savannah airport. Drinks are on me if we ever meet up at Grande Ocean one of these years Jim.

Glad it worked out for you! With that many new seats coming into that market, the competition is bound to have a positive impact on fares. American has had a monopoly for quite a while, so the new competition should be a big plus.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
@JIMinNC, you just saved me come coin. After seeing your post, I just booked Delta through ATL to HHH for our Sept trip. Comfort + seating was only $316 a person.

Wow, you need a bit more competition over there. I've just found a return flight from London to Barcelona in June for £61. I've also seen many flights for £9.99 one way with Ryanair.

David10225

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barony Beach
With all the new flight options I am tempted but realistically how is the rental car situation

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rental cars are priced well and I would suggest necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be very helpful for those who have additional guests who arrive on a different date. It will be nice to pick people up at airport in Hilton Head rather than drive to Savannah.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize HHH was open to commercial air traffic. I hope it is serviced by a carrier near me because the closer the better but Savannah isn't too bad.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I didn't realize HHH was open to commercial air traffic. I hope it is serviced by a carrier near me because the closer the better but Savannah isn't too bad.

American has served HHI from their Charlotte hub for many, many years (well, it was US Airways flying that route until the merger). Now both United and Delta are adding service from some of their hubs, so all three of the major US legacy carriers will now offer HHI service. So if you can get to Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington/Dulles, Chicago, or Newark to connect to a Hilton Head flight, you should be able to fly into Hilton Head, at least seasonally.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
American has served HHI from their Charlotte hub for many, many years (well, it was US Airways flying that route until the merger). Now both United and Delta are adding service from some of their hubs, so all three of the major US legacy carriers will now offer HHI service. So if you can get to Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington/Dulles, Chicago, or Newark to connect to a Hilton Head flight, you should be able to fly into Hilton Head, at least seasonally.
I've seen the signs to HHH but have no idea of it's size. How big is it? And do we know if these new flights are all to HHH or both HHH and SAV?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I flew to HHH a few years ago on the AA Prop commuter. It was very small without many services. At that time, we waited outside of security until 15 minutes before the flight, and then everyone went through security just prior to boarding. They will definitely need to expand infrastructure to handle the larger planes and more frequent flights. Perhaps the airlines will share the check in space and employees.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
The airport is very small. The key was lengthening the runway to accommodate small jets. It has always just been prop planes. The airport is one building with one story. You literally go through security to the gate and then get on the plane. Rental car counters are as you walk in and the rental cars are in the parking lot. I believe parking is free also. I will fly the Dulles to HHH route as soon as it opens. Looks like pricing on United is similar to Savannah or a little more. Rental car prices are much lower at HHH than SAV. You are five-ten minutes to Surf Watch and Barony.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I've seen the signs to HHH but have no idea of it's size. How big is it? And do we know if these new flights are all to HHH or both HHH and SAV?

All the new flights being announced are into HHH. All of these airlines already serve SAV out of those same hubs.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I flew to HHH a few years ago on the AA Prop commuter. It was very small without many services. At that time, we waited outside of security until 15 minutes before the flight, and then everyone went through security just prior to boarding. They will definitely need to expand infrastructure to handle the larger planes and more frequent flights. Perhaps the airlines will share the check in space and employees.

The airport is very small. The key was lengthening the runway to accommodate small jets. It has always just been prop planes. The airport is one building with one story. You literally go through security to the gate and then get on the plane. Rental car counters are as you walk in and the rental cars are in the parking lot. I believe parking is free also. I will fly the Dulles to HHH route as soon as it opens. Looks like pricing on United is similar to Savannah or a little more. Rental car prices are much lower at HHH than SAV. You are five-ten minutes to Surf Watch and Barony.

If you look at some of the photos in the Google Map link that Fasttr posted, you can see one shot of the ticket counter area, and it appears there is space to add counters for UAL and DAL. Also the ramp space appears to be large enough to host two or three regional jets at the same time, so I suspect they will be OK. Also, in the picture in the Google Maps link of the the AA boarding area, you can see a sign that says "Gate 4". That would imply that there may be space for Gates 1-3 as well.

It is a small airport by today's standards, but that also means quick baggage delivery and easy-in, easy-out.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a small airport by today's standards, but that also means quick baggage delivery and easy-in, easy-out.

It is interesting that the website says you need to arrive 90 minutes before flight. I don't know what you can do there for that amount of time since they didn't have any food services when I was there. I think there was a vending machine for coffee. Perhaps Delta will open a Sky Club ;)

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It is interesting that the website says you need to arrive 90 minutes before flight. I don't know what you can do there for that amount of time since they didn't have any food services when I was there. I think there was a vending machine for coffee. Perhaps Delta will open a Sky Club ;)

I think that's the standard recommended arrival time for most airports. We don't need to fly commercial to HHI (although I have flown personally into the private aviation facilities on the other side of the runway), but for that size airport, 90 minutes seems a bit much. Having said that, most airlines require baggage to be checked in at least 45 minutes to an hour before departure, and boarding generally starts about 30 minutes before departure time, so to allow for some lines at check-in and TSA, I wouldn't arrive later than about 60-75 minutes if I had bags to check. Not sure if they have a TSA Pre-Check line there or not to speed up security screening, but if they do and if you have Pre-Check clearance and Priority check-in status with your airline due to Elite level, then maybe you could cut it a little closer.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm here in Hilton Head for the next 3 weeks and will try to stop at the airport to check it out. The website says there is no TSA Pr-Check. I'm curious whether they have added any waiting areas at the gates after security. I think it would be very difficult to screen all the passengers for a regional jet in a timely manner just prior to boarding.