• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Death of Venice? City's Battles With Tourism and Flooding Reach Crisis Level

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Death of Venice? City's Battles With Tourism and Flooding Reach Crisis Level
By Angela Giuffrida/ The Observer/ Italy/ The Guardian/ World/ theguardian.com

"A tax on daytrippers has hit the headlines, but La Serenissima’s mounting problems also include rising waters, angry locals and a potential black mark from Unesco.

Venice’s Santa Lucia railway station is packed as visitors scuttle across the concourse towards the water-bus stops. Taking a selfie against the backdrop of the Grand Canal, Ciro Esposito and his girlfriend have just arrived and are unimpressed with what may greet them in future if the Venetian authorities get their way: a minimum city entry fee of €2.50 throughout the year, rising to between €5 and €10 during peak periods.

It is the price of a cappuccino, but for them “it’s going too far”. “They are using people like a bank machine,” says Esposito. “We are in Europe and can travel freely across borders, yet we have to pay to enter one of our own cities.”

In earlier times it was the wheeled suitcases that tourists rattled over the cobbles that drew the ire of Venetians – so much so that the authorities pledged to fine anyone caught using one up to €500. That never happened, but now another – more plausible – penalty is being concocted. To manage the impact of the 30 million people who visit the lagoon city every year, the daytrippers – those who come, take pictures, and leave – are to be forced to pay, although it is unclear when the tax will be introduced or how it could be enforced.

Venice may have a centuries-long history of cultivating tourism, devising crowd-drawing events such as the annual carnival, the Biennale international art exhibition and a star-studded film festival, but the advent of mass tourism has left it struggling with how to deal with the near-constant hordes who trudge around its precious sites, through its 11th century basilica, over its famousRialto bridge, and along its maze of winding calle. The influx is a blessing for the local council’s coffers but a scourge on the city’s fragile monuments and environment....."

3000.jpg

Tourists brave the flood water in St Mark’s Square, Venice, in October last year. Photograph: Stefano Mazzola/Awakening/Getty Images

Richard

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Venice seems to really hate tourists. I can't imagine that city would survive economically without them.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Venice seems to really hate tourists. I can't imagine that city would survive economically without them.

That was my thought as well. While the locals may not like some aspects that tourists bring the tourists most likely make the local’s livelihood possible. I don’t know what percentage of the revenue is derived from tourists, but one would think it is substantial.

We have visited once and are planning to return next year. However, other than rolling our suitcase from the train station to the nearby hotel where we stayed we are very good tourists. We respect the city, the shops, the restaurants, the sites and the people. Unfortunately, as reported in the article not everyone is like that. Here’s hoping that improves for everyone’s sake.

Best regards.

Mike

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Having spent a great many Euros in the real Venice, I can say...
Ah, yes, the charm of dirty, smelly canals and over priced hotels.

OTOH, Italy at EPCOT is a lot easier to get to and it doesn't flood.

WWS275610FI.jpg

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I have visited Venice three times over almost 50 years. It has been sad to see evidence of the deterioration of many of the buildings over the years from repeated flooding. IMO one of the most iconic and beautiful cities in Europe and one of my favourites. Surprised in the picture not to see any of the raised wooden walkways they used to use during the floods. Maybe it was just too deep this time.

Surprised (maybe not so much...it's Italy) that the flood control project in the outer islands still isn't projected to be finished until 2022. I know it was controversial, but the Thames flood control system in London has been working and in place for ages.