• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to cancel timeshare contract?!

sandibelm96

Reaction score
I went to the Vegas 3 day 4 night deal I was offered through hgvc... I fell into the thought of the vacations I could have and bought the timeshare. I am a college student and after the first payment realized I cannot keep up with the payments. I put the downpayment on the hh amex and aside from that have the timeshare expense along with other living expenses!! Any advice? I am very worried due to all the chats I see about it affecting my credit and I am only 22, how bad would the change be?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sandibelm96

Reaction score
I went to the Vegas 3 day 4 night deal I was offered through hgvc... I fell into the thought of the vacations I could have and bought the timeshare. I am a college student and after the first payment realized I cannot keep up with the payments. I put the downpayment on the hh amex and aside from that have the timeshare expense along with other living expenses!! Any advice? I am very worried due to all the chats I see about it affecting my credit and I am only 22, how bad would the change be? To be specific I bought it on 8-17-2018 it is now 11-8-2018. It is the every other year timeshare so I can't start using it until 2019

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, you only had a few days to cancel, and now it's too late. If you can't afford it, you can just stop paying and let it go into foreclosure. To do this send them a firm but brief certified letter saying you can't affored it and stop making the payments.

They will bug you for awhile to try to get you to make the payments, and you should just stand firm, and be as brief as possible. Eventually, they will foreclose and take it back. It may take a year, and they may ding your credit, but if you are a college student, that won't have much impact on you now.

***You are likely to be contacted by companies who promise to get you out of your contract for a fat fee - don't get sucked in - they are all scammers. You signed a legal contract and there is no magic way to break it by throwing money at it.

sandibelm96

Reaction score
Thank you Denise... will that foreclosure affect my ability to purchase a home in the future?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It may or may not impact your credit rating, but a ding on your credit only lasts 7 years, and I'm guessing that you aren't close to buying a house right now.

Also, defaulting on a timeshare, is nothing like defaulting on a home mortgage. If the rest of your credit is good, mortgage companies will take that into consideration.

Unfortunately, you don't have any other options.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shame on Hilton for even inviting you and then selling you a program. It would be interesting to see what income parameters ended up on your application. They are supposed to do a minimum of income verification and suitability before you sign a contract. Look inside your packet of papers and see what they claim your income is. If it is "made-up" I would contact the corporate offices and tell them you want to rescind and get a full refund, otherwise you will file a complaint with the Nevada Attorney General for absolute fraud. This situation is maddening. I remember being 22, and I did some things that I would not do again. Selling a college student with a minimal income is INSANE. I would not be sorrowful in these circumstances. I would be over-the-top enraged!! General rule of thumb is 25-65 for prospecting. Most Tuggers claim that "a contract is a contract," but in these circumstances - I think not........

sandibelm96

Reaction score
I agree and I can't believe I fell for it I absolutely regret it. I will look for what they set as my income, and I will post an update. Thanks!!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree and I can't believe I fell for it I absolutely regret it.

Don't beat yourself up over this. This has happened to many here on TUG. And I wouldn't say you "fell for it". You were likely under a lot of duress after hours of browbeating and you were happy to sign the papers just to get out of there. Sadly, that's the way many of these TS sales presentations transpire.

sandibelm96

Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up over this. This has happened to many here on TUG. And I wouldn't say you "fell for it". You were likely under a lot of duress after hours of browbeating and you were happy to sign the papers just to get out of there. Sadly, that's the way many of these TS sales presentations transpire.
Glad to know I'm not alone. Sadly, I found TUG a bit too late.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Even if they trash your credit, you need to get get your credit report regularly to make sure the debt is not sold to a dedt collector. You can get a free credit report here, if you stagger between the three agencies, you can get one every four months. You can also regularly check with your county clerk online to see if someone files a lawsuit against you. Know your state's Statute of Limitation, it is your friend. Don't let any legal action go unanswered, many times debt collectors will file in the hopes of getting a default judgement. Judgments are tough to get rid of short of bankruptcy. Many will fold at the sign of resistance, so answer any lawsuits.

This is not legal advice, just my experience. Do your own research.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, keep in mind, most companies will do a background check as part of the employment process. If the interview is going well, be upfront that your credit is hosed and why. If they know going in, you will come off as honest. If it's a deal breaker, you will find out fast. If they discover it, you will appear deceptive.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shame on Hilton for even inviting you and then selling you a program. It would be interesting to see what income parameters ended up on your application. They are supposed to do a minimum of income verification and suitability before you sign a contract. Look inside your packet of papers and see what they claim your income is. If it is "made-up" I would contact the corporate offices and tell them you want to rescind and get a full refund, otherwise you will file a complaint with the Nevada Attorney General for absolute fraud. This situation is maddening. I remember being 22, and I did some things that I would not do again. Selling a college student with a minimal income is INSANE. I would not be sorrowful in these circumstances. I would be over-the-top enraged!! General rule of thumb is 25-65 for prospecting. Most Tuggers claim that "a contract is a contract," but in these circumstances - I think not........
The last time we did a developer financed deal, we were not asked income questions. They just pull a credit report and if you are above a certain Fair Isaac's score, they load and go. At the interest rates they are charging, I would imagine that cutoff score is pretty low.

I imagine a "Tote the Note" car dealer or the Worst volume dealer (Look up Bill Heard dealerships, they are now defunct but there are plenty of stories on the net)

Last edited:

sandibelm96

Reaction score
Update... I contacted HGV about the timeshare and they said they can't help me at all. They told me to go online and look for a professional who can try to sell my timeshare. Which will obviously not happen. So I have decided to pay it off and then try to get rid of it. Very disappointed how they treat you like royalty to take your money, but give you their backs when you need them.

Reactions: DrQ

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to pay it off and then try to get rid of it.

Fair enough. But just consider the figures. I don't know how much you have left to pay on the mortgage but let's say it's about $5000. Are you going to pay $5000 to salvage something that is worth less than $1000? Remember, the money you've sunk into this so far is gone, gone, gone whether you choose to keep your TS or not.

But if you do "[decide] to pay it off and then try to get rid of it", then remember not to contact any of these so-called cancel/exit/relief/salvation companies who promise to get you out of your timeshare. Also, keep in mind the realistic, resale value of what you own so that if a company contacts you claiming it can sell your TS for huge bucks, you'll know it's a scam.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update... I contacted HGV about the timeshare and they said they can't help me at all. They told me to go online and look for a professional who can try to sell my timeshare. Which will obviously not happen. So I have decided to pay it off and then try to get rid of it. Very disappointed how they treat you like royalty to take your money, but give you their backs when you need them.

This is LifeLesson 101. Hopefully you don't sign up for a graduate course.;)

You have said that you are going to tough it out and pay it off. I know it stings right now:wall:, but have you looked into if you can use the purchase while you have it? You might as well as try as get some use from what you bought. There are smart people on here that may be able to be able to give advice on how to get some return.

But if you do "[decide] to pay it off and then try to get rid of it", then remember not to contact any of these so-called cancel/exit/relief/salvation companies who promise to get you out of your timeshare. Also, keep in mind the realistic, resale value of what you own so that if a company contacts you claiming it can sell your TS for huge bucks, you'll know it's a scam.
True 'dat