• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2018 ] Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas - Looking for feedback

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Has anyone been to this property recently? We just received a request confirmation for XMAS week 2019. Wondering what is currently completed and what is expected to be completed by then. Understand the resort is under construction. Looks beautiful on the website but wondering what is really finished?

Also wondering about the restaurants and food options in the area? Do we need our own transportation? Would you rent a car? Use taxis? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks :)

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
I've not stayed but some close friends have. They went March of this year and liked it so much that they are going back again in March.

Let me know specifically what you have questions about and I'll do my best to get you some answers.

PS. They fell in love and almost purchased. Once I shared Redweek and VRBO they now just rent and glad they saved $$,$$$.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
following.

We have an exchange for the Grand Solmar at Land's end for next year. At the time of booking we could have chosen Rancho San Lucas. In the end we decided for the Land's end because we got a 2 bedroom penthouse (sleep 8, 2700 sqf. ) and because the location seems to be better, walking distance to the marina, the Lover's beach and next to the Los Cabos arch. If the resort offers free shuttles to the Rancho, we may go visit it but ONLY if we can avoid a sales presentation.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
following.

We have an exchange for the Grand Solmar at Land's end for next year. At the time of booking we could have chosen Rancho San Lucas. In the end we decided for the Land's end because we got a 2 bedroom penthouse (sleep 8, 2700 sqf. ) and because the location seems to be better, walking distance to the marina, the Lover's beach and next to the Los Cabos arch. If the resort offers free shuttles to the Rancho, we may go visit it but ONLY if we can avoid a sales presentation.

We own a PH at GS. You will LOVE it. Enjoy.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a PH at GS. You will LOVE it. Enjoy.

this is what we have on the II confirmation:
upload_2019-1-3_8-59-19.png

and
upload_2019-1-3_9-0-6.png

Am i right this is a penthouse? From what i read all the penthouses are oceanview and at a high floor

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own several weeks at Grand Solmar, so I don't know how trading into it works (whether or not you get the unit stated on the II confirmation), but you will love the resort! I'm sure the villas in Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas are super luxurious, and the resort will be beautiful when it's finished. BUT, we prefer staying on Solmar Beach at Land's End because we can walk into town.

All the units at Grand Solmar Land's End have ocean views. Some are ocean front with waves pounding the beach below you, others are farther back, some have oblique ocean views.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems it is a penthouse. My confirmation says UUU2PR and only sleeps 6 total. NICE FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We own several weeks at Grand Solmar, so I don't know how trading into it works (whether or not you get the unit stated on the II confirmation), but you will love the resort! I'm sure the villas in Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas are super luxurious, and the resort will be beautiful when it's finished. BUT, we prefer staying on Solmar Beach at Land's End because we can walk into town.

All the units at Grand Solmar Land's End have ocean views. Some are ocean front with waves pounding the beach below you, others are farther back, some have oblique ocean views.
i am sure both the PH (sleep 8) and the Presidential 2 bedroom (sleep 6) are very nice but i assume they have to honor the sleep 8 on the reservation?

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you're right. With occupancy stated as 8, you should be assigned a penthouse suite. If you have your heart set on a PH and/or need bedding for 8, I would make sure to tell them you have 7 or 8 guests so you don't get "down-sized" to a presidential suite.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are aware that it is under construction, but to get the best updates, I would check recent reviews on both Yelp and TripAdvisor. You can also see recent photos, which give you an idea of the state and extent of the construction. My understanding is that about only 1/3 of the resort is currently built out and construction is on a five year plan. Things move slowly in Mexico. The rooms look drop dead gorgeous, but the resort grounds look sparsely completed.

Read the reviews and see if you are okay with the cab rides to town, shuttle to Land's End and the one restaurant at Rancho San Lucas, Antica, being available to eat at.

Only you know what you like to do on vacation. If your trip involves many area activities, you will likely be better off with a car. If you plan on lounging poolside and eating in, you can do without a car. Your food options in Cabo are unlimited, but at Rancho San Lucas itself, it seems only the pool bar and grill and a fine dining restaurant, Antica, are the current options.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been watching the Tripadvisor reports. It sounds like the lagoon area and pools are set up well now. Driving in Cabo is pretty easy. We are here now. We arranged last minute to rent a car in town from Hertz for four days for only $145 total including insurance during New year's week .the key to getting a decent rate is using a credit card that covers damage and theft insurance, then just paying liability insurance for Mexico (about $13 a day currently). The resort looks fantastic. We are at hacienda del Mar this year, and have been driving all around. GS Rancho is a bit far out, but a car can make the difference. There is ample parking in town at the paraiso mall.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Yes should be a penthouse. ENJOY. The MBR in those units has sliding doors at the corner that open. Its fantastic.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been a year, and I'm wondering if there are any further experiences from Tug members. I have read the reviews on other travel sites, but none of the recent ones seem to talk about the current state of construction. Does anyone know how things are progressing? We've just traded in here for November and very much looking forward to it.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
What is the difference between Grand Solmar [GSD] and Grand Solmar Resort [GSF].

Interval has 2BR-Units at GSD that sleeps Max-6 & Max-8.
Interval has 2BR-Units at GSF that sleeps Max-6.

Given a choice which would you choose based on Size, Amenities, Convenience, Views?

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between Grand Solmar [GSD] and Grand Solmar Resort [GSF].

Interval has 2BR-Units at GSD that sleeps Max-6 & Max-8.
Interval has 2BR-Units at GSF that sleeps Max-6.

Given a choice which would you choose based on Size, Amenities, Convenience, Views?
I actually have the same question. Does anyone have an answer?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is any help to you @melissy123, but I think the differences are GSD is the code for Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas in units made up of 2BR lockoff configurations. You can get an efficiency, 1BR, or the full 2BR lockoff. The studio sleeps 4 (2 on the murphy bed) and the 1BR sleeps 4. You can see the floorplans here - https://grandsolmarranchosanlucas.solmar.com/suites

GSF is the other code for Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas in dedicated 2BR units. What I don't know is if this is in the main resort area, or the private home section of the resort in a Golf Duplex. Always best to call Interval and confirm what you're getting. The floorplan for the golf duplex can be found here - https://ranchosanlucas.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/RSL-Golf-Duplex-Ground-Level-2020.pdf

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Interval. GSF is the Golf Club. I could have sworn I didn’t see “golf” in the name initially. This was the last eplus I used so no going back. Oh well. Still looks like a nice place.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
@melissy123, did you exchange into the Golf Club? Is it one of the private homes/duplexes on the property? We've never been up to Rancho San Lucas, but have heard it's really nice!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We drove out there a couple of days ago. The resort looks finished but the development including the golf course looks like it needs a couple more years. I like the Villas better in this sub-division better than the new Villas at Sunset Beach but it will be at least a couple more years before everything comes together, imo. The only thing I can think of as a turn off is the wind can make Suspiro Beach a sand blaster.

You can drive up to the resort, golf course and restaurant but you do have to go check in at the entrance gate.

Bill

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
@melissy123, did you exchange into the Golf Club? Is it one of the private homes/duplexes on the property? We've never been up to Rancho San Lucas, but have heard it's really nice!
i did exchange into the Golf Resort which is GSF.

The private homes are the “The Residences” and I don’t believe that is GSF.

I have no idea where the two bedroom GSF units are located. I found a map that makes it look like the Golf Club is one and the same as the Grand Solmar but not really sure. “The Villas” look far back from the ocean and they’re not given Grand Solmar as part of its name so that can’t be GSF.
If anyone knows where the two bedroom dedicated units that sleep 6 are located please help! And I’d like to know if they’re all one story or more than one story.

Last edited:

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d love to believe that UUU2 code in GSF is the Grand Solmar Residence and that its a penthouse
The only type of unit in GSF is the two Bedroom unit that sleeps 6, and according the link above, ALL of the two bedroom units are penthouses. (The Residences also have three and Four bedroom penthouses but only two bedroom units in GSF)
maybe these Residences are only two story units and the second story is now considered a penthouse?

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Found out this morning that UUU2 at GSF can be a penthouse either at the Residences or at the main resort. Also, a penthouse can be on any floor (maybe that’s to allow people to shift units wherever they want). I’ll be happy with either one.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I just got matched via II for a UUU2PR at GSD, 2 Bedroom, 2 Bath, 06 Privately, 06 Maximum, for December 24-31, 2022.

I am thinking of declining the match. I have 24 hours.

The reason is an awkward checkout date of December 31, and also a few things about the resort: remote location, unswimmable beach, wind, no laundry in suite, no dishwasher and no oven. I understand the units are otherwise gorgeous. Am I making a mistake by declining it? Maybe I should keep it? Anyone has the details or floorplan for UUU2PR at GSD?

Edit: I am stuck with it, so I'm keeping it. I didn't know that with Hyatt, I don't have the normal 24 hours to decline an II match. I'll add an e-Plus, but looks like I'm keeping it and will try to have a good time there.

Last edited:

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the laundry situation there? Is it a laundry service or do they have a laundromat?

BTW, there was a large deposit today.