• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Keep Checking Rental Car Prices

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
DW and I are headed for Maui in a couple of days and today I decided to re-check my car rental reservation with Avis. I'm glad I did! My original reservation--made about 7 months ago--was for a full-size sedan for a week at a price of $420 including taxes and fees. On re-checking, I was able to get the same car class for $278--a savings of more than $140. Score!

At about $40/day, that's a smoking good deal for Hawaii, and probably reflective of the fact that we're going during off-peak season in the first two weeks of December.

In any case, it never hurts to keep checking and updating your car rental reservations before your arrival.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
One can also ask www.autoslash.com to do the checking for you.
They helped me cut a 3d rental in Phoenix by ~$50, both w-Alamo.
Nice.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever I have upcoming flights or car rentals, I make checking part of my daily morning routine. Takes 5 minutes as I sip my coffee and click a few buttons. Over the years I have saved a lot (especially on the flights - thanks SW air for no change fee)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
+1 on AutoSlash. I used to monitor my car rental reservations myself, but AutoSlash is much better. The only problem I'm having currently for our rental on Maui in March is that I keep getting email telling me they've found a cheaper price, BUT that price is for a pre-paid car. Not going to do that. It does look like you can cancel (and hopefully get reimbursed) but I really don't want to pay for a car rental this far ahead.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Over the years rental car companies have adjusted pricing at various times. It use to be the cheaper rates could be had if you could book way in advance. A few years ago the bottom prices were available 2 or 3 months prior to your arrival date. Now I'm finding the very best prices in the last 2 weeks before arrival. I just changed a booking for our latest trip a couple of days ago and saved $30 on our rental.

Autoslash appears to be a Priceline tool IMHO. I stopped using them when the best price was, amazingly enough, through Priceline's own booking engine. Plus, I was doing as well if not better looking on my own. They pop up a price, I'd go to check it and it was never available. Complete waste of time for us.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Over the years rental car companies have adjusted pricing at various times. It use to be the cheaper rates could be had if you could book way in advance. A few years ago the bottom prices were available 2 or 3 months prior to your arrival date. Now I'm finding the very best prices in the last 2 weeks before arrival. I just changed a booking for our latest trip a couple of days ago and saved $30 on our rental.

Autoslash appears to be a Priceline tool IMHO. I stopped using them when the best price was, amazingly enough, through Priceline's own booking engine. Plus, I was doing as well if not better looking on my own. They pop up a price, I'd go to check it and it was never available. Complete waste of time for us.
Yes, I've been finding the best price through AutoSlash with Priceline. But I've found when I go directly to the Priceline site the price is a bit higher. Plus the Priceline site doesn't monitor and notify me if a cheaper price is found.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Autoslash appears to be a Priceline tool IMHO. I stopped using them when the best price was, amazingly enough, through Priceline's own booking engine.

I think it's the reverse. Priceline is a tool for AutoSlash. AutoSlash used to have other vendors, but currently only Priceline works with them. Whatever. Its a useful tool for me. Sometimes they do quote prices that can't be booked. Perhaps its bait 'n' switch by a local agency. Sometimes, its from an agency you wouldn't use. But at least they give you the option to look.

As I said, they saved my ~$50 on a rental in Phoenix, when I wouldn't have bothered to check myself, so...

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been a diehard and happy Costco Travel rental car renter, but prices for my upcoming trip to Florida have been outrageous so today I decided to give AutoSlash a try. They undercut my Costco best price (reserved a month or so ago) by an astonishing $260! Both rentals were with Alamo. If I booked the same car today through Costco it would be an unbelievable $823 versus my AutoSlash confirmed reservation of $416. Keep checking those prices, indeed!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
AutoSlash notified me this morning they'd found (yet again) a cheaper rate for our March rental on Maui. It's still with Alamo, but went down another $17 for the 15 days period. May not sound like much, but since I originally made the reservation the rate has gone down around $200.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I’ve had my January Maui trip on Autoslash and got nothing. I even went on Autoslash and checked it myself and it was the same that I had. But I keep watching. Some of the smaller cars came down a lot but we’re taking friends with us this year so we need a larger vehicle.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I’ve had my January Maui trip on Autoslash and got nothing. I even went on Autoslash and checked it myself and it was the same that I had. But I keep watching. Some of the smaller cars came down a lot but we’re taking friends with us this year so we need a larger vehicle.
Ours is for a midsize SUV.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Ours is for a midsize SUV.

I had a standard SUV and ended out getting a full size cheaper so o went with that. My wife will have two bags herself this trip. She’s bringing extra stuff for the Molokai Condo.