• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Resort Fees Are you ok with them?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
As some have noted, the answer really depends on what you get for the fee. There are some resorts where the amenities and service outside of the room are worth it. I’m partial to the Vidanta resorts even with the high fees they have started charging exchangers. I own there, so have the option to compare costs of using my own week or exchanging back in with a different TS and paying the resort and exchange fees; that often winds up less expensive even taking into account my other TS MF.

As far as whether the underlying MF should cover the costs goes, that only works if it is a week deposited by an owner. If it is a week that is available as part of a bulk deposit by the developer or operator of the resort, they don’t really get any cash flow from it, so resort fees make up some of what would otherwise be a shortfall. They no doubt get other non-cash benefits (e.g., sales prospects, some credit with the exchange companies to allow them to provide freebies to their owners, etc.), but there is still the matter of covering their costs. It would be nice if they separated out owner deposited weeks in a separate resort id and didn’t charge the fees for those, but I don’t see that happening because there really isn’t a good way to incentivize that for them.

You might be able to work around the fees at places that only charge exchangers by doing direct exchanges via TUG or by other means. There are pluses and minuses to that though, particularly for resorts like Vidanta where the owner fees are high and not mandatory.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I let my RCI membership lapse because of HGVC resort fees (that and DVC stopped depositing 2BR units before we ever had a chance to exchange there). The only place I ever intended to trade was the Big Island and the new fee added on to the exchange fee ends up being $500 in fees to exchange. They probably have the nicest timeshare units on the island, but the next time we go to the Big Island we'll opt for lesser quality units in a better location.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I don't like any additional fees. I own 3 weeks in an elite-rated resort (Marriott) and they don't have any additional fees for internet or parking, etc. So, I expect that when I exchange my Marriott to go to a non-Marriott that I shouldn't have to pay extra fees. Yes, my Marriotts have some activities that have fees attached to them, but they are all optional and may not appeal to everyone - - but it is their choice.

Like others have said, if an owner is required to pay an extra fee for basic amenities (like parking, internet, newspaper, etc.), perhaps they should just raise the MF.

Something else that irritates me a bit though are the optional activities that cost more than they probably should. At my home resort (Palm Desert), there are a lot of free activities and social events. But when I go to Marriott Newport Coast, most of the activities cost. And cost more than they should IMHO. For instance, an adult beer tasting - four different beers of about 1.5 ounces each for a cost of $15 (Newport Coast - - seems too high) versus $8 at Shadow Ridge (which seems reasonable) or free at Canyon Villas (Phoenix). IIRC, there were a lot of free activities at Marriott Grand Chateau (Las Vegas). So, when I go to Newport Coast, I seldom pay for the optional activities.

When we stayed at the Kona Coast, we paid roughly $10 a day for AC. But I thought that it was well spent money. Sounds like kind of a contradiction on my part, but I realize that the energy costs on Hawaii are high. I got more value out of that $10 charge than I would get from four 1.5 ounce glasses of beer for $15 at Newport Coast.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Personally I don't feel an exchanger should have to pay any additional resort fee's to use a resort. Other than the exchange fee they have already paid. The only exception to this is for people in systems booking less than full week I accept that the resort will incur additional housekeeping and should be allowed to charge a reasonable amount to cover this.

As far as fees charged to owners... Personally I don't agree with this at all. If they are going to charge say $35 per day for parking, WIFI, and whatever else they say it is for then this should be included in MF's If it something above and beyond like jet ski rentals, boats, etc. Then charge a fee for this kind of stuff and let me decided if I want to pay for it.

This is why even as and RCI Points owner I still look at II first because the fees on top of the exchange fees with RCI can cost almost as much as the exchange at some resorts. Not only that I find the 1 in XX rule annoying as well. I live close to Orlando and would have never stayed in a DVC resort because paying the additional fee just doesn't seem worth it to me.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, why have it taken over thirty years for hotels and timeshare resorts to start charging a resort fees now. When everything’s (on site amenities) have been Free for the past thirty years. One word Greed. This is just easier money for hotels & timeshare resorts to collect IMHO.... Where does this new resort fee income go and how is it use to enhance the hotel or timeshare resorts amenities?

Maybe we need to ask ARDA?:shrug:

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't like also resorts that force mandatory AI for exchanger when it's optional for owners and renters from owners like the Royal Sands in Cancun.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
If MF paid by owners already cover expenses for an owner's stay, then they've also already paid to cover expenses for an exchanger's stay. It's a money grab, pure and simple.

The major exchange companies already address possible imbalances between the "value" of what an exchanger offers and the "value" of what the exchanger receives, to some degree. Standard amenities (for a given resort) that don't require an added fee be paid by an owner during their stay, should be included for everyone. Resorts often charge for optional amenities and giving owners a discount on non-standard recreation or services is a nice perk. People don't resent that. Mandatory fees for exchangers only are different to me.

If it is a week that is available as part of a bulk deposit by the developer or operator of the resort, they don’t really get any cash flow from it, so resort fees make up some of what would otherwise be a shortfall.
I disagree with this. A developer who still owns inventory given as part of a bulk deposit is responsible for the MF expenses for that inventory as part of their business practice. They write off those expenses - a normal part of business. There's no shortfall, and resort fees still amount to a money grab for them. Operators/Managers of resorts are paid per their management contract with the resorts they manage. There's no shortfall to address here either, just a different way of collecting money - through resort fees that feed the management company's bottom line. JMO.

That said, we evaluate each exchange according to the posted fees and what the exchange is worth to us, vs. available alternatives. So far, we've avoided and declined many more exchanges with mandatory fees than we've accepted. Mandatory fees just leave a sour impression. It spoils the appeal for us.

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
I’m probably just rehashing what others have said, but I’m good at being redundant.

Some resorts state the resort fee covers parking, pool towels, movies, internet, etc. But they don’t charge the owner for these things so one assumes that the maintenance fee covers them. That means that the resort is charging twice in the case of an exchange, or they are assuming a certain exchange occupancy and are artificially reducing the MF for these items. I do believe that there may be a little more effort required administratively for an exchange, at least for fixed week resorts, but I would expect that to be a single cost to work with the exchange company and update the information with the person trading in. I guess software generation and maintenance could come into play as well. But they have to do something similar if the owner has a guest certificate. So, I think they are charging exchangers because they can, not because an exchanger is getting something extra or adding a lot of cost to the resort.

If they are being charged to owner and exchanger, I agree with @Panina that means that the maintenance fees should be higher. The only way they could be acceptable would be if the services they cover were to become optional. I think that would cost more to manage than it would be worth. I think all these things should be included in the MF with no additional charge to the exchanger.

I exclude parking fees for urban timeshares. Urban parking is expensive and not all visitors to these areas bring cars so charging owners and exchangers alike for parking may cause owners to gripe but I think it’s fair.

For my own exchanging, I evaluate every time based on location, unit size and amenities, resort reviews, and added fees. If all are equal I will opt for the unit with lowest or no fees. But if I think a resort with fees brings something extra I will still consider it.

I do think that people choosing to avoid exchanging to resorts with fees could in the long term reduce the exchange power of the resorts that charge fees, but resorts with the cachet of a hotel brand name will probably still get takers. And I think that the argument that someone with a lesser resort may exchange to a higher end resort annoys the high end resort and owner is baseless. Once someone deposits their week/points their interest is gone. So what if my mid-range resort manages to exchange into it. Ditto for the resort management—they got full MF from the owner so what’s the big deal. The only interest the owner has once they deposit is what they can find with that resort. Hopefully they have seen something that works for them but those are the risks one takes with an exchange.

All this is just my opinion of course.

AndySamuels

Reaction score
Seems like timeshares are rapidly decreasing in their value proposition when exchanges are becoming more expensive with add on fees and now resort fees as well.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is ARDA stand on this issue? They collect fees to protect timeshare owners interest. Rght

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Where is ARDA stand on this issue? They collect fees to protect timeshare owners intereste.
They are part of the problem.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Seems like timeshares are rapidly decreasing in their value proposition when exchanges are becoming more expensive with add on fees and now resort fees as well.
Timeshare values stay in places that are in high demand areas with limited inventory. Kind of like buying a home, best neighborhood, limited inventory, highest prices. Sometimes amazes me how high some resale timeshares sell for but they are usually for a high demand area where inventory is limited. These are easy to find a new home for or rent to cover expenses. Unfortunately most timeshares do not fall into this category and I agree their value is rapidly decreasing with increased trade and resort fees.

AndySamuels

Reaction score
In brief: the 80/20 rule. :) The points needed to get a week in high value locations / weeks are very high also with pretty high nightly rates per room. With a lifetime commitment I am not sure the commitment outweighs the savings. But that is more of a personal philosophical perspective.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Where is ARDA stand on this issue? They collect fees to protect timeshare owners interest. Rght
ARDA LOBBIES ON BEHALF OF DEVELOPERS. ITS A SHAM THAT THEY LOBBY FOR YOU... SO YOU HAPPILY DONATE YOUR $5 annually per contract in your MF’s

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I still think TS value out weigh hotels.

But one other thing that irritates the hell out of me with these add-on fees for exchanges is when they add them after I have booked. With RCI if I have booked a 2020 reservation and say February of 2019 resort decides to impose a $35 per day resort fee they will charge me this in 2020 when I arrive even though they started imposing it after I booked.

That would be like RCI wanting the increased fee amounts for all exchanges on the books. When they raise exchange fees

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I still think TS value out weigh hotels.

But one other thing that irritates the hell out of me with these add-on fees for exchanges is when they add them after I have booked. With RCI if I have booked a 2020 reservation and say February of 2019 resort decides to impose a $35 per day resort fee they will charge me this in 2020 when I arrive even though they started imposing it after I booked.

That would be like RCI wanting the increased fee amounts for all exchanges on the books. When they raise exchange fees

When this has happened to me in the past, I have not had to pay the add on fee that started AFTER I made the reservation. Did you raise this issue with the resort? If so, what was their response?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I rarely exchange-no problem for me.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't like any additional fees. I own 3 weeks in an elite-rated resort (Marriott) and they don't have any additional fees for internet or parking, etc. So, I expect that when I exchange my Marriott to go to a non-Marriott that I shouldn't have to pay extra fees. Yes, my Marriotts have some activities that have fees attached to them, but they are all optional and may not appeal to everyone - - but it is their choice.

Like others have said, if an owner is required to pay an extra fee for basic amenities (like parking, internet, newspaper, etc.), perhaps they should just raise the MF.

Something else that irritates me a bit though are the optional activities that cost more than they probably should. At my home resort (Palm Desert), there are a lot of free activities and social events. But when I go to Marriott Newport Coast, most of the activities cost. And cost more than they should IMHO. For instance, an adult beer tasting - four different beers of about 1.5 ounces each for a cost of $15 (Newport Coast - - seems too high) versus $8 at Shadow Ridge (which seems reasonable) or free at Canyon Villas (Phoenix). IIRC, there were a lot of free activities at Marriott Grand Chateau (Las Vegas). So, when I go to Newport Coast, I seldom pay for the optional activities.

When we stayed at the Kona Coast, we paid roughly $10 a day for AC. But I thought that it was well spent money. Sounds like kind of a contradiction on my part, but I realize that the energy costs on Hawaii are high. I got more value out of that $10 charge than I would get from four 1.5 ounce glasses of beer for $15 at Newport Coast.

I traded my Vistana week into a Marriott. My Vistana week includes a mid-week tidy. The Marriott charged a material fee for a similar service.

It was optional, but I was surprised they don't include that, as even many no-name TS have that.

On another note: one thing about resorts with high fees is they often take less to exchange in. I traded a 1 bedroom sheraton unit for a 4 bedroom at Vidanta on Mexico. I paid significant fees to both II and Vidanta, but it was so far from being an even trade I thought the total in fees was reasonable.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners, Exchangers, and Guests should take a stand against paying resort surcharges.

There's been a lot of news about resort fees lately, including some pretty steep resort fees. Mandatory Resort Fees are really getting Out of Control. Don't let daily resort fees ruin your timeshare vacation. Choose to stay at a timeshare that does not charge extra fees :)

All timeshare resorts charge their owners annual fees for maintenance, utilities, taxes, etc.
Exchangers should not have to pay extra for something an owner already paid for!

Last edited:

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate it when they charge extra for parking when it's not in high density city. Some will say it's a tax and blame it on the government. It's usually disclosed up front.....so my decision is made when I see how many points i need to trade into this particular resort. How does that compare to my other options.

jbiza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners, Exchangers, and Guests should take a stand against paying resort surcharges.

There's been a lot of news about resort fees lately, including some pretty steep resort fees. Mandatory Resort Fees are really getting Out of Control. Don't let daily resort fees ruin your timeshare vacation. Choose to stay at a timeshare that does not charge extra fees :)

All timeshare resorts charge their owners annual fees for maintenance, utilities, taxes, etc.
Exchangers should not have to pay extra for something an owner already paid for!

+1 Agree.

In addition to the suggestion of choosing to stay at a timeshare that does not charge extra fees, any other suggestions on how Owners, Exchangers, and Guests can collectively, proactively take a stand against paying resort surcharges ( other than my making a comment to the front desk person when I call on the phone or making a comment when I check in to resorts). :shrug:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We belong to WMTC. When we stay at a WMSP we do not get any of the Perks, etc that we would get at a WMTC Resort. They are separate Corporations. Wyndham has a lot more control over WMSP than WMTC.