• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone rent on TUG Marketplace anymore?

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
My first timeshare rental was from the TUG Marketplace, and, I greatly enjoyed my trip to the Grand Mayan in Cancun. I list many rental weeks on the Marketplace and redweek.com and other places. There seems to be very little activity on TUG.

Does anyone here still go to the regular marketplace to find a week to rent? Do any owners report success still renting out their weeks on this site?

Happy Vacations to all.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still look for rentals on the Marketplace.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Little HARD to rent on the Marketplace when the LMR thread has a $100 per night limit ... guests must THINK the Marketplace is home to OVERPRICED units ... but if they just wait ... those unrented units will drop down to below $100/night.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I've never used the Tug Rental listings.

Although I like the concept of the Marketplace, IMO I find the layout hard to navigate and quickly compare rentals and TS listings compared to Redweek. I check the Last Minute regularly. Perhaps because it is top of mind on the Forum List? I don't think to go over to the marketplace because it involves another login and interface.

I would like to see a Last Minute/Bargain Rentals for Premium Properties such as Hawaii, NYC. Perhaps $250 or less per night on the forum list. Not sure how to keep out non-premium though. Perhaps by location such as HI OF/OV Hotel Branded, NYC, Ski Weeks only?

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Every time I check the rental listings, it seems the asking prices are rather high.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We do exchanges on marketplace. Have done rentals too, but I agree most rentals are overpriced. Tug members trying to get Maintenence fees covered by rentals. LMR on RCI are less expensive.
We got a Extra vacation week on RCI for 5 TPU and $219. In Ormond Beach. Much better than renting from an owner.
Silentg

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I have had some success renting on TUG Marketplace in the past couple years. Relatively easy rentals though... summer weeks at east coast beach resorts at what I think are reasonable rates.

I have also gotten a few tire-kickers and bargain hunters asking for lower rental rates months before the checkin date. No biggie... I just tell them to check back a month prior to checkin to see if it's still available.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never tried to rent my unit on the Marketplace, but I have listed some units there. One bite, but Marriott exercised their ROFR. Other has been listed for over a year and no bites.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I find the layout hard to navigate and quickly compare rentals and TS listings compared to Redweek....

Definitely agree. Redweek separates out sales vs rentals and lists the rentals by check-in dates. The "sorting" feature on the TUG marketplace doesn't always work all that well.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I’ve had success renting and selling in the marketplace. Once I get to a six month window for my listing, I pay for a Redweek ad as well.

I offer my renters ROFR and have had the same people 3-4 years in a row now.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get some interest on my TUG Marketplace listings, but I agree it's not a particularly good interface.

I know the $100/night limit on the Last Minute Rental board has come up a lot, and the decision has been to keep the $100/night limit. I think this is the first I've ever seen a proposal for a second, "premium" Last Minute Rental board, though. This sounds like a good idea. People who don't want to look at prices over $100/night wouldn't have to.

The premium board could be 45 days or less, like the LMR board. The rule could be that people could recover fees only -- maybe annual fee, any fee for putting in a guest name, and a maximum of 3% to cover PayPal fees. If any premium listings seemed to have a price over that, the owner could be asked to document the annual fees. Probably other TUG members would be easily able to spot most weeks that were listed for more than the limit.

The two boards could be called maybe "Budget Last Minute Rentals" and "Premium Last Minute Rentals." People who own expensive weeks would have the option of listing for $100/night on Budget Last Minute Rentals, which would probably get more traffic, or "Premium Last Minute Rentals." A single week could only be listed on one board at a time. Perhaps there could be a way to remove listings from "Premium Last Minute Rentals" if any owner decided to lower their price to $100/night, or the thread on the "Premium" board could be locked so that it would fall off the front page.

... I offer my renters ROFR and have had the same people 3-4 years in a row now.
Buzglyd, can you tell me what you mean? Do you email previous renters once you have booked your weeks for the upcoming year, and offer them "first dibs" on weeks similar to those they booked previously?

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
The premium board could be 45 days or less, like the LMR board. The rule could be that people could recover fees only -- maybe annual fee, any fee for putting in a guest name, and a maximum of 3% to cover PayPal fees. If any premium listings seemed to have a price over that, the owner could be asked to document the annual fees. Probably other TUG members would be easily able to spot most weeks that were listed for more than the limit.

The two boards could be called maybe "Budget Last Minute Rentals" and "Premium Last Minute Rentals." People who own expensive weeks would have the option of listing for $100/night on Budget Last Minute Rentals, which would probably get more traffic, or "Premium Last Minute Rentals." A single week could only be listed on one board at a time. Perhaps there could be a way to remove listings from "Premium Last Minute Rentals" if any owner decided to lower their price to $100/night, or the thread on the "Premium" board could be locked so that it would fall off the front page.

I doubt this would fly with such intensive monitoring and no "real" limits on what can be posted. Yes, this has been hashed and rehashed many times over the years. TUG Brian and a couple of moderators have been very clear that anything that is over the $100/night limit should be placed in the Marketplace. I'm not sure why the high-end timeshare owners argue for a special LMR forum or try to change the current one. TUG has a place available to list their weeks for rent. That's what I do. If I want more than $100/night, I use the Marketplace or I use another listing option elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to use the LMR to list their weeks for $100 max per night. TUG Brian has provided another option for those folks. But all this has been said before, many times.

Is this going to turn into another discussion about why the LMR forum should be changed or kept as it is? Well, JudyS and I have gotten it started. Anyone else care to participate in a current rehash? :D TUG Brian behind is computer screen.....:doh:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I get some interest on my TUG Marketplace listings, but I agree it's not a particularly good interface.

I know the $100/night limit on the Last Minute Rental board has come up a lot, and the decision has been to keep the $100/night limit. I think this is the first I've ever seen a proposal for a second, "premium" Last Minute Rental board, though. This sounds like a good idea. People who don't want to look at prices over $100/night wouldn't have to.

Buzglyd, can you tell me what you mean? Do you email previous renters once you have booked your weeks for the upcoming year, and offer them "first dibs" on weeks similar to those they booked previously?

Yes I do. I let them know in advance also that if they enjoy their stay, they get first crack at it the following year.

One rental I do is Comic Con in downtown San Diego and my other is a fixed week Labor Day weekend at Carlsbad Inn.

My Comic Cons have come 4 years in a row now and my Carlsbad Inn guy has come 3 years in a row. I don't even have to advertise.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I've never used the Tug Rental listings.

Although I like the concept of the Marketplace, IMO I find the layout hard to navigate and quickly compare rentals and TS listings compared to Redweek. I check the Last Minute regularly. Perhaps because it is top of mind on the Forum List? I don't think to go over to the marketplace because it involves another login and interface.

I would like to see a Last Minute/Bargain Rentals for Premium Properties such as Hawaii, NYC. Perhaps $250 or less per night on the forum list. Not sure how to keep out non-premium though. Perhaps by location such as HI OF/OV Hotel Branded, NYC, Ski Weeks only?
I agree that TUG Marketplace is hard to navigate. I don't see how anyone uses it without incredible frustration. I have had ads that got not one email inquiry. I would say that TUG ads needs improvement. I agree that Redweek is much better because you can see specific resorts and exact dates of availability.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
what would you change first?

The marketplace was designed with input from all TUG members, however as times change so must the site!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We usually go with RCI Last Call & special sales on Extra Vacation Getaways, about $350 per week-long reservation -- i.e., 1/2 the $100 nightly rate of TUG Marketplace.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I would like to see in summary form all the rentals in one place and all the resales in one place (separate page) with points values, dates, unit type, cost etc for each TS property to compare without having to click to open every ad for basic details. The clicking is very time-consuming. The Redweek format could provide some inspiration because you don't have to open every ad to make an assessment, however it also is missing a few data points I look for. Hope that helps.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
what would you change first?

The marketplace was designed with input from all TUG members, however as times change so must the site!

Please start with a sort function. So we can sort rentals vs. sales, one bedrooms vs. two bedrooms, rental dates, etc. (obviously sorting by only one of these things at a time, but that would reduce the number of oysters we had to open to find the right pearl inside -- which is how I feel when doing this).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I also would like to see new rental listings and new sales listing (similar to the newsletter) with a link to the TUG marketplace just below the Last Minute section of the Forum. Auto login would be great if you are already logged into the forum as a member.

I know it would prompt me to look more often, because I forget (as probably others do) that it is there.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Please start with a sort function. So we can sort rentals vs. sales, one bedrooms vs. two bedrooms, rental dates, etc. (obviously sorting by only one of these things at a time, but that would reduce the number of oysters we had to open to find the right pearl inside -- which is how I feel when doing this).

Good suggestions, more sorting options at the top of search results are in the works!

I am guessing you are usually searching by region or city vs looking at ads on an individual resort page? sorry, just want to be on the same page when typing up my notes!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I also would like to see new rental listings and new sales listing (similar to the newsletter) with a link to the TUG marketplace just below the Last Minute section of the Forum. Auto login would be great if you are already logged into the forum as a member.

I know it would prompt me to look more often, because I forget (as probably others do) that it is there.

we actually do have this on both the resales and the rental pages (the 5 most recent rentals are listed)...

https://tug2.com/timeshare-rentals/
https://tug2.com/timeshare-resales/

although I suppose we could add more there, or make a link for "newest rentals" that displayed more of them vs having them all load every time on that page

I think perhaps just showing 5 or 10 on that page, and then making a link to "newly listed rentals" that displayed say the last 50 posted rental ads in thumbnail format like that would be an easier/better solution?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would like to see in summary form all the rentals in one place and all the resales in one place (separate page) with points values, dates, unit type, cost etc for each TS property to compare without having to click to open every ad for basic details. The clicking is very time-consuming. The Redweek format could provide some inspiration because you don't have to open every ad to make an assessment, however it also is missing a few data points I look for. Hope that helps.

so you want to view every single rental at once? or do you mean for a specific area? with thousands of rentals, id think displaying every detail of every one at the same time would probably serve to be very difficult (or be a very large drain on the server).

for just a specific area or resort, this is very easy to do...and i think perhaps offering a setting that allows for all ads to be "expanded" by default might be an option we can do!

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it would be nice if the newsletter link took you directly to a login page, and then when you logged in it took you to the ad you clicked on.

Right now for me the sequence goes:

Click on link - get not logged in message.

Click to log in

Then click "marketplace"

Then click "rentals"

Then try to find the ad I clicked on.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hmm...
I think it would be nice if the newsletter link took you directly to a login page, and then when you logged in it took you to the ad you clicked on.

Right now for me the sequence goes:

Click on link - get not logged in message.

Click to log in

Then click "marketplace"

Then click "rentals"

Then try to find the ad I clicked on.

Well thats not good! this should only happen when clicking on reviews, as thats the only part that requires login.

here is the most recent newsletter, which links are you clicking on for ads that take you to the login page instead so that i can try to duplicate and figure out what is happening there.

https://madmimi.com/s/e4266d