• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do we HAVE to join DRI?

Bogusfakeaddy

Reaction score
We have owned at Alhambra at Poinciana for many years but recently Amber Management was bought out by DRI. We have always had 61,000 points automatically deposited into our RCI account, but now have received a bill from the Alhambra at Poinciana Owners Association for our annual maintenance fees that includes a $108 fee labeled "Amber Vacation Club Membership". We called Diamond and were told told that this is for membership in DRI. We do not want DRI, we already have RCI. We bought this timeshare specifically to bank the points in RCI where we have four other properties.
Can we be made to pay for DRI? Doesn't seem legit that you can have it forced down your throat when you have no use for it and didn't buy into it when we purchased the timeshare??
Advice please

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would write the HOA. It doesn't seem right, since you didn't join the "Amber Vacation Club Membership."

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned at Alhambra at Poinciana for many years but recently Amber Management was bought out by DRI. We have always had 61,000 points automatically deposited into our RCI account, but now have received a bill from the Alhambra at Poinciana Owners Association for our annual maintenance fees that includes a $108 fee labeled "Amber Vacation Club Membership". We called Diamond and were told told that this is for membership in DRI. We do not want DRI, we already have RCI. We bought this timeshare specifically to bank the points in RCI where we have four other properties.
Can we be made to pay for DRI? Doesn't seem legit that you can have it forced down your throat when you have no use for it and didn't buy into it when we purchased the timeshare??
Advice please

I feel your pain and frustration. DRI came in and acquired a group of my resorts in 2015. I had 17 weeks. It was a nightmare for the first 18 months. Most of those 17 contracts were in RCI Points. DRI made it so difficult and expensive that I pulled all but one contract out of RCI Points in order to cut my costs. Out of 17, I'm now down to five. DRI and those acquisitions ruined a good thing for me. I didn't purchase into DRI either. It doesn't matter, get over it is basically what it boils down to. I haven't got "over it". I am not a fan of DRI and never will be.

I wish you well. DRI can make your timeshare life hell and you really have no recourse except to try and get out from under them by selling off. My weeks had good value on the resale market prior to the DRI acquisition. Now, it looks like the remaining weeks will have to be given away. There's always the option to go through deeding back the weeks to DRI. :doh: My contracts are all summer weeks at the beach in a high demand/limited supply area. I heard about DRI prior to the acquisitions and it was mostly negative. Unfortunately, I never considered a DRI acquisition. :(

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Advice please
Membership in DRI? This doesn't make any sense. You were not given a valid or satisfactory answer without explicit details on what that "membership" is supposedly providing or giving you that you did not have already. That is not the way the DRI points system works. Unless they are talking about Diamond's new Destination Xchange program (which is kind of like their in-house RCI or Interval International). But the Destination Xchange program is voluntary, not mandatory.

Also when Diamond takes over a legacy system or resort, they are still bound by the legacy HOA documents. They can (and do) definitely come in and jack up your management fees and owner services fees to near the highest in the entire industry. But even if you can't stop them you have the right to challenge all the additional or increased fees. Especially fees like this that don't seem to make sense based on your comments.

Personally I would not accept the explanation your were given.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are 3 years into our Diamond ownership as an "involuntary" owner (like Egret). Things started off terribly after Diamond took over for Gold Key, they eventually turned things around...but very slowly. Diamond does seem to take good care of their resorts operationally and they have been making improvements and upgrading the ex-Gold Key resorts they took over in VB and OBX. Our family is happy with some of the improvements made.

But Diamond still feels kind of dysfunctional as an overall company. And they do seem to take longer to make upgrades to their resorts than other companies and their management fees are expensive relative most of the other timeshare companies.

It's not that Diamond is all bad, it's just that for the near industry high fees they charge, it feels like all their owners deserve more than they are actually getting from them in return.

sjriggins

Reaction score
I am just getting back in to the RCI game after a few years, my mother in law gave us her week here. I could not figure out why it was so complicated to just put the weeks in. Our unit was in Palm Beach and it was a breeze. You have given me a better under standing of what a mess it is. Never mind that she has been dealing with it at 82 yo.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Advice please

I am not sure what you own, but I have been with Diamond Resorts before they were even in business. They bought Sunterra which bought my original timeshare. First off, DR does not and cannot force you to buy their membership. Secondly, to join DR’s Club, it will cost you more than $108. Basically, you still have exactly what you bought and can continue to use it the way you have in the past. DR will make offers to you to come into their system, but you do not have to do that. I have come to realize that DR is not as bad as some say. I too don’t like their fees. However, they don’t nickel and dime you for fees for each reservation you make, or canceling, or other little charges that others do. More importantly, I like the fact that I can travel throughout the world in their resorts and not pay exchange fees by using resorts in their system. They have lots of resorts and most of them are fine. They are not Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton quality but some are very nice.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I sold my timeshare after DRI acquired the property. They made our stays miserable in a very nice resort. It seems like you could decline this. I would have them put in writing where you are required to pay the fee. The MF should cover their Administrative Fees. There are some rules that are subject to change and some that are not. Let us know what you find out.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I am not sure what you own, but I have been with Diamond Resorts before they were even in business. They bought Sunterra which bought my original timeshare. First off, DR does not and cannot force you to buy their membership. Secondly, to join DR’s Club, it will cost you more than $108. Basically, you still have exactly what you bought and can continue to use it the way you have in the past. DR will make offers to you to come into their system, but you do not have to do that. I have come to realize that DR is not as bad as some say. I too don’t like their fees. However, they don’t nickel and dime you for fees for each reservation you make, or canceling, or other little charges that others do. More importantly, I like the fact that I can travel throughout the world in their resorts and not pay exchange fees by using resorts in their system. They have lots of resorts and most of them are fine. They are not Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton quality but some are very nice.
The resorts are nice. Its the people...

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
The resorts are nice. Its the people...

if you rallying about it, it’s just the salespeople. The hotel staff is fine. You don’t have to meet with the sales staff.