• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying annual unit, but no points usage till 2021?

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found out after making an offer on an annual 4800pt 1BR Platinum listing, that the selling agent advised there would be no points till 2021. How is that possible? Can you borrow points from 2 years ahead like that? I'm assuming that will hurt the sale price as well..who would want to buy this for x-amount to begin with, and then pay MF, taxes, and club dues for the next 2 years without being able to use any of it!

Anyone ever hear of anything like this before?

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found out after making an offer on an annual 4800pt 1BR Platinum listing, that the selling agent advised there would be no points till 2021. How is that possible? Can you borrow points from 2 years ahead like that? I'm assuming that will hurt the sale price as well..who would want to buy this for x-amount to begin with, and then pay MF, taxes, and club dues for the next 2 years without being able to use any of it!

Yes, it is possible if the seller had made RCI reservation using borrowed points. You can use 2 future years worth of points for RCI reservations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

This could also happen with an affiliate hgvc where they deposited the weeks in II for exchange which you can do 2 years prior. Now if it was for a one bedroom, week 7 or 8 at Eagles Nest Marco Island, for the right price it might be worth the wait and additional fees but for most 4800 points weeks not worth it.

Where and what week was it for?

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score

In a situation like this usually seller will reimburse approximate future MF at closing. But you will have to pay club dues though unless you are already a member. One plus on this transaction is, if it is a highly desisrable property Hilton will likely not ROFR.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
This could also happen with an affiliate hgvc where they deposited the weeks in II for exchange which you can do 2 years prior. Now if it was for a one bedroom, week 7 or 8 at Eagles Nest Marco Island, for the right price it might be worth the wait and additional fees but for most 4800 points weeks not worth it.

Where and what week was it for?

Ocean 22 Float Week

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The seller used every point available thru borrowing + RCI booking.
Either the seller cancels them (losing his booking fees) or you walk
... unless you're getting a serious discount for losing 2 years of use.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Ocean 22 Float Week
Unless it is a fixed week like July 4 that you will use most years, I would suggest to move on. It’s not oceanfront and view could be none on low floor. 4800 points can be found elsewhere for a good price without these issues.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
[deleted by me]. I see, it’s biannual not annual.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The seller used every point available thru borrowing + RCI booking.
Either the seller cancels them (losing his booking fees) or you walk
... unless you're getting a serious discount for losing 2 years of use.

I agree, you need to look at the comparable prices for this resort and size accommodation, and then subtract 2 years worth of maintenance fees and see if your offer is still beneficial to you. If not, walk if it still looks attractive to you stay with it unless you desperately need those points for booking vacations for the next 2 years.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heres an update:

The seller decided to cancel their reservation, so now the full 4800pts are available for 2019 usage. They also accepted my offer, which was $1000 less than they were asking. They offered to sell m another 4800pts which they can rescue from 2018 if I want, for an additional $1000. If not, I believe they will keep them, or convert to HHonors points.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Heres an update:

The seller decided to cancel their reservation, so now the full 4800 pts are available for 2019 usage... They offered to sell me another 4800 pts which they can rescue from 2018 if I want, for an additional $1000.

So, what happened w-2020's points. You said there were no points until 2021.
I'd say the 4800 rescued points would be worth $1000, if you can use 'em.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
4800 rescued points would be worth $1000

I wouldn't pay that much for them (at ~$0.2/point) unless I really needed the points. The 2018 MFs were around $750 for Ocean 22 1 Bd.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I wouldn't pay that much for them (at ~$0.2/point) unless I really needed the points. The 2018 MFs were around $750 for Ocean 22 1 Bd.

Are those MF’s o;the lower side due to a subsidy? Those aren’t LV Boulevard low, but $750 isn’t bad.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Are those MF’s o;the lower side due to a subsidy?

I don't think so. I agree, Ocean 22 MFs aren’t too bad. The 6200 1 Bd OF unit would be better.

That is obviously the purpose of the MF/points spreadsheet. Sometimes, we don't realize those hidden gems.

Last edited:

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, what happened w-2020's points. You said there were no points until 2021.
I'd say the 4800 rescued points would be worth $1000, if you can use 'em.
They were going to borrow 2019 and 2020 for a big trip next year. I guess they changed their mind and cancelled to save the sale.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
They were going to borrow 2019 and 2020 for a big trip next year. I guess they changed their mind and cancelled to save the sale.

So if they can't the trip to give you the 4800 2019 points that was great. However, what about the 4800 2020 points since you said that you wouldn't have points usage until 2021?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So if they can't the trip to give you the 4800 2019 points that was great. However, what about the 4800 2020 points since you said that you wouldn't have points usage until 2021?

It sounds like the OP got both 2019 + 2020 points back.
If true, decent move by the seller to let the buyer use what he bought. :rolleyes:

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the OP got both 2019 + 2020 points back.
If true, decent move by the seller to let the buyer use what he bought. :rolleyes:

That is correct. The seller decided against borrowing 2019 & 2020 points for a trip in 2019 as I believe their selling agent encouraged them to do so. I think they realized it would be a tough sale with those stipulations and just decided to scrap the last trip they were hoping to go on, since they already had an offer in and didnt want to lose it.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. I agree, Ocean 22 MFs aren’t too bad. The 6200 1 Bd OF unit would be better.

That is obviously the purpose of the MF/points spreadsheet. Sometimes, we don't realize those hidden gems.
That spreadsheet is what helped me realize an Ocean 22 1BR was something to shoot for if I couldn't find a Vegas property. MF's are about $130 less per year than Elara, which is where I was previously looking.

The 6200 1BR would be ideal, but would cost me 3-4 times the amount up front to buy than the 4800 1BR. Now I just hope it passes ROFR. Last property I tried to buy didnt and bummed me out. This is round 2 for me trying to get into the system.

Hsahota1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
That spreadsheet is what helped me realize an Ocean 22 1BR was something to shoot for if I couldn't find a Vegas property. MF's are about $130 less per year than Elara, which is where I was previously looking.

The 6200 1BR would be ideal, but would cost me 3-4 times the amount up front to buy than the 4800 1BR. Now I just hope it passes ROFR. Last property I tried to buy didnt and bummed me out. This is round 2 for me trying to get into the system.

Be patient, I didn't get lucky till my third try. Initial offer was on a 4800 pt but ended up buying a 7000 pt

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I don't know who the selling agent is but he/she should be able to guide you and the seller on what price should pass ROFR this time of the year from past experience. While it sounds like a good deal for you, the seller seems very motivated so they may have priced it to sell and HGVC will buy it.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

If you are buying HGVC Myrtle Beach mostly for points, Anderson Ocean Club 6200 1 BR is even better, and likely to go for less than the newer Ocean 22. I am in the process of buying an EOY contract for that. I should learn by 1/10 is my eBay purchase from Legacy clears ROFR.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are buying HGVC Myrtle Beach mostly for points, Anderson Ocean Club 6200 1 BR is even better, and likely to go for less than the newer Ocean 22. I am in the process of buying an EOY contract for that. I should learn by 1/10 is my eBay purchase from Legacy clears ROFR.
I couldn't find an Anderson Ocean Club 1BR for anywhere close to what I am getting the Ocean 22 for. Maybe it's just a timing issue? The one 6200pt Anderson I found was 3-4 times the price I am paying.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The one 6200pt Anderson I found was 3-4 times the price I am paying.

The one I “won” on eBay recently started off overpriced for a regular contract while only being EOY. It was initially listed on eBay in a fashion where you could make offers. I think I offered $1,400 to have some negotiation room, and my offer was outright rejected. After that auction ended with no sale, they relisted it as an eBay auction with a low starting price. I “won” that auction for $809. We’ll see what happens with ROFR. Between it being EOY, us being at the end of the year, the fees and maintenance fees built into the sales contract, it might make it through. Fingers crossed.

I agree Myrtle Beach is an oven overlooked value. Some MFs/points are comparable to Vegas. It is easily driveable in a day from me. I is a great place for me to potentially have for both vacation and points.