• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I still owe on my point more than the value of the current resale

John Cush

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairway Villas at Seaview and Marriott Vacation Club Destinations
What are my options? Assuming I stop payment? I understand the debt will be increased by interests and Attorney fees. Has Marriott written off the debt in the past? Can they attached SS income? IRA's?

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are my options?
Unclear what you are asking. If you bought retail and have discovered that resales sell for less- Yup. That's how it is. You overpaid. If you are asking how to cancel the purchase, you can't- short of bankruptcy or default and foreclosure- both of which have serious financial consequences.

If I misunderstood your inquiry, fill in more details and we'll try to help.

Jim

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
First of all if you think your timeshare has any resale value you need to put that misconception aside now. If by chance you would have a high demand week at a high demand resort you might get lucky and get maybe $1,000 or even as much as $2000 for it. But it is more likely that you might get $100-$200 or even have to give it away and pay some or even all the closing costs too. And here is the worst part, you would have to pay it off to be able to sell it. Unless of course you manage to find a sucker dumb enough to take it over along with the balance owed which is something none of us would recommend even trying. I know this must sound a little harsh but it is the reality. The timeshare relief companies you see on TV, get calls or letters from prey on people in your situation so please don't give them a penny because that will just be more money you lose.

If it is a financial burden you can't afford your only option may be to let the resort foreclose and take the hit on your credit.

Many of us discovered that what be bought had little to no resale value despite how much we paid. We kept what we bought and have had many years of wonderful vacations. When we bought more we bought resale for pennies on the dollar.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
John what do you own? Is it something that could be rented out while you sort it out? Did you think you could afford it when you bought it and the situation has changed? Or are you wanting out because you realize it was a bad deal? I’m just curious the reason you want out. Do you not use the week anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk