• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Resell

frankyip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We’re a family of three in mid 30’s with a 2yo kid who attended a HGVC presentation while we were in Hawaii last week.

We were staying in the Hilton Hawaiian Village and was interested in the TS concept so we agreed to attend the presentation when offered 30,000HH points. I did a bit of research before attending the presentation so when they offered me 3400pts EOY for $15k plus 10k bonus point I didn’t fall for it as I roughly value it as a financial product (I’m an auditor) and it didn’t make sense to pay $15k for the benefit that I’m getting.

Then I came across the resell market and this great forum afterwards so we’re thinking to get into HGVC resell.

We don’t think we’ll be returning to the same location year after year and we aren’t the type of people who would plan 1 yr ahead for vacation so we’re only after club points that can get us 1-2wks of decent accommodation year after year as we’ve doing that anyways. It seems to be a cheaper way pay for vacation in the long run.

Here’re a few questions that I have for now:

1. How difficult is it to book a HGVC properties (mostly studio or 1br) 9/6 months ahead of planned check in date (5-7 nights at a time)? Do you need to pay resort fee for HGVC properties?

2. How difficult is it to book an an accommodation through RCI using club points?

*I understand peak season in hot destination (e.g. wk52 in Hawaii could be very hard) but what about shoulder season say wk49-51?*

3. I’m trying to look for EY4800 pts (1br plat) that has a lower MFs and Lower buy in (e.g. Elara, Tuscany, Flamingo, Sea World). My rationale is that we can borrow some points from the next year if we need a 2br (when travelling with other family) but keep the MFs on the lower side. Does that make sense given our profile?

4. Generally, would it be fair to say you get most value from using HGVC properties and approximatly break even when exchanging through RCI? I think it’s almost a total lost if you convert to HH points?

5. Is there any HGVC properties which had a history of receiving a special accessment (on top of yearly maintenance fee)?

6. I’ve found a Elara 1br plat with EY 4800pts and $865MF asking for $2,000, which seems like a good deal that would fit my needs. Does it make sense assuming it can pass ROFR? We’re not in hurry at all so we don’t mind trying and waiting.

Thanks so much!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Your post is better suited for the HGVC forum, so the mods might move it there.
But in the meantime, I'll take a stab at your Q's...

1. How difficult is it to book a HGVC properties (mostly studio or 1br) 9/6 months ahead of planned check in date (5-7 nights at a time)? Do you need to pay resort fee for HGVC properties?

Answer: It depends.
For a high-demand location (Hawaii, NYC, mountains in ski-season, and for now, Hilton Head), you need to book right at the start of the club-window, but for other locations (Vegas, Orlando), you'll find units available almost anytime (other than holiday-weeks).
Members are not charged the resort fee, if booked thru HGVC.

2. How difficult is it to book an an accommodation through RCI using club points?

Answer: Not difficult at all.
The HGVC member website has a portal to RCI land, where, if you find a suitable resort, all you do is press a couple of buttons, and the points will be deducted from your account.

3. I’m trying to look for EY4800 pts (1br plat) that has a lower MFs and Lower buy in (e.g. Elara, Tuscany, Flamingo, Sea World). My rationale is that we can borrow some points from the next year if we need a 2br (when travelling with other family) but keep the MFs on the lower side. Does that make sense given our profile?

Answer: Yes.
But if you want to book a high-demand location every year, the home-resort booking advantage (12-9 months out) may be worth the extra bucks so you don't have to compete with the unwashed masses after the 9 month mark.

4. Generally, would it be fair to say you get most value from using HGVC properties and approximately break even when exchanging through RCI? I think it’s almost a total lost if you convert to HH points?

Answer: Typically, yes.
RCI's exchange fee, and resort+housekeeping fees, make RCI exchanges a tad pricey. OTOH, the point-cost is decent, and helpful where no HGVC can be had. Converting to HH points is a notoriously poor use of HGVC points. The point-cost for hotels has increased significantly with no corresponding increase in the conversion rate.

5. Is there any HGVC properties which had a history of receiving a special assessment (on top of yearly maintenance fee)?

Answer: None have been reported here in the last several years.

6. I’ve found a Elara 1br plat with EY 4800pts and $865MF asking for $2,000, which seems like a good deal that would fit my needs. Does it make sense assuming it can pass ROFR? We’re not in hurry at all so we don’t mind trying and waiting.

Answer: That's a good deal.

Last edited:

bcjenkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean Tower
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges
Carlsbad Seapointe
El Cid Vacations Club
> Do you need to pay resort fee for HGVC properties?

Resort fees should apply only when booking a stay on the open market (e.g., via hotel booking sites); HGVC Owners/Members pay lodging taxes, where applicable. (Hawaii, for example.)

I don't yet have experience with RCI (I will make my first RCI points deposit in the next couple of weeks), so I'll leave others with experience to address your other questions.

Bruce

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Hi everyone,

We’re a family of three in mid 30’s with a 2yo kid who attended a HGVC presentation while we were in Hawaii last week.

We were staying in the Hilton Hawaiian Village and was interested in the TS concept so we agreed to attend the presentation when offered 30,000HH points. I did a bit of research before attending the presentation so when they offered me 3400pts EOY for $15k plus 10k bonus point I didn’t fall for it as I roughly value it as a financial product (I’m an auditor) and it didn’t make sense to pay $15k for the benefit that I’m getting.

Then I came across the resell market and this great forum afterwards so we’re thinking to get into HGVC resell.

We don’t think we’ll be returning to the same location year after year and we aren’t the type of people who would plan 1 yr ahead for vacation so we’re only after club points that can get us 1-2wks of decent accommodation year after year as we’ve doing that anyways. It seems to be a cheaper way pay for vacation in the long run.

Here’re a few questions that I have for now:

*I understand peak season in hot destination (e.g. wk52 in Hawaii could be very hard) but what about shoulder season say wk49-51?*

4. Generally, would it be fair to say you get most value from using HGVC properties and approximatly break even when exchanging through RCI? I think it’s almost a total lost if you convert to HH points?

5. Is there any HGVC properties which had a history of receiving a special accessment (on top of yearly maintenance fee)?

Thanks so much!

I agree that this would be better in the HGVC forum.

Answers

1. If you book at the 9 month period, most places have availability. If you wait too much longer than that, you will run the risk of missing out at certain locations. Ski season in Utah/Colorado, high demand season in Hawaii and Certain weeks in the SW Florida resorts are hard and you might not get what you want there. Otherwise, at 9 months it’s pretty good availability. There is a $65 booking fee when using a club booking (not your home resort/season).

2. Don’t know, never have booked RCI.

3. That seems like it will work, but I will say this. As your 2 year old gets older, you may want to get a bigger unit (2 bedroom). The added space and privacy will be very nice down the road.

4. I could be wrong, but HGVC units will get you an upgrade on most units you trade into. The 4800 points you are looking at would get you a 2 bedroom in many resorts. The level of quality isn’t nearly as good as HGVC, even the gold crown resorts. Disney is the exception and a 1 bedroom there would cost as many points as a 1 bedroom with HGVC.

5. None that I know of. In my HOA docs this year, they are planning a renovation in 2021 at the Flamingo. They say they are building up the reserve fund and that will take care of the cost.

6. Seems decent. It was reported in a different thread that they really aren’t excersizing ROFR on Elara, but I’m not sure if that’s true. Be careful of Flamingo 1 bedroom. The MF per point is pretty high (almost 0.2 while the 2 bedroom is at 0.15). Check out @GT75 spreadsheet in the MF sticky thread on the HGVC forum. It’s full of info! https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ations-club-2019-maintenance-fee-list.280402/

God Luck and don’t forget to join Tug! The best $15 you can spend in the TS world. The reviews of various TS are great!

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Welcome to TUG. Congratulations on passing on that "deal" during the sales presentation. You are asking the right questions before jumping into a TS. I did move your thread to the HGVC forum. We have an excellent group of members willing to help and share their experience and knowledge. I think that you have already been given excellent advice. I will only add, please take your time. There isn't a rush to purchase something immediately and understand what you are getting into. I will also say that HGVC treats their resale owners very well with almost all of the same benefits as buying direct.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Seems decent. It was reported in a different thread that they really aren’t excersizing ROFR on Elara, but I’m not sure if that’s true. Be careful of Flamingo 1 bedroom. The MF per point is pretty high (almost 0.2 while the 2 bedroom is at 0.15). Check out @GT75 spreadsheet in the MF sticky thread on the HGVC forum. It’s full of info! https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ations-club-2019-maintenance-fee-list.280402/

This is the reason for the spreadsheet (so we get a good idea of which resorts/unit have the best MFs to points). I would advise that you look at both the initial purchase price and the MFs (of the MFs/point ratio) if you are just purchasing to use the points (not planning on using for Home Week advantage). I will also add that not all of the 2019 MFs have been reported yet so you may also look at the 2018 MF thread which is linked from 2019.

Tazzik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd also say that while some places on Hawaii are harder to reserve (like the Lagoon Tower), many others tend to have a lot of availability. Most of the ones on the big island are fairly easy to get, and we loved our stay at King's Land last year. I find it much easier to get exactly what I want through HGVC, but I also do trade through RCI quite a bit. I usually need to be a bit more flexible with those trades, but it's very easy to use with our account, and to set up ongoing searches once you find a place you'd like to stay at. Being on the east coast, I'd still like to see more options in the Caribbean, but I certainly do not regret choosing HGVC (resale).

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the ones on the big island are fairly easy to get, and we loved our stay at King's Land last year.

I'll definitely second this. We own points in Vegas (lower MFs) and have used them in Waikoloa a bunch of times- usually Bay Club and once at Kohala Suites. Never had a problem getting what we want as these resorts have a lot of availability.

We also own at W. 57th and use those points exclusively there. Other folks with non-New York points have certainly booked things at the 44-day mark, but it is definitely tougher.

Cheers,

Bruce

frankyip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’m just thinking if the yearly fee (maint/reserve/due) is approximately $1000 and I amortize the buy in (including the transaction cost) of $4000 by 10 years, it means we get get 14 nights of stays in quality studio (usually go for 2,200pts per week?) for $100 a night, which is not bad at all.

This forum had been very helpful! Thanks so much!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for the info. I’m just thinking if the yearly fee (maint/reserve/due) is approximately $1000 and I amortize the buy in (including the transaction cost) of $4000 by 10 years, it means we get get 14 nights of stays in quality studio (usually go for 2,200pts per week?) for $100 a night, which is not bad at all.

This forum had been very helpful! Thanks so much!

Welcome to Tug and congrats on running the numbers. You are saving yourself a bundle of money.

That's a good deal if you are concerned about the maintenance fee. I am willing to bet that you will be adding another resale to your portfolio in a few years as your children grow and you enjoy the privacy a 1 bdrm or 2 bdrm provide. To me, staying in a studio with 1 bathroom with family now feels so uncomfortable even though that's what you get in a hotel.

When you compare staying at a 1 bdrm with a kitchen to save on meal costs to staying in a hotel (studio), and buying 3 meals/day or cramming yogurts into the hotel mini-fridge, you will see much more savings and benefits beyond the dollars.

You will enjoy this for many years to come. It is difficult to fully understand the ins and outs of the system until you actually use it so this is a good place to start and get your feet wet with low risk.

IMHO HGVC is the best system out there for flexibility, resale buy-in, customer service, 4 - 4.5 quality and reasonable MF (aka excellent property management - I cannot say the same for Marriott who seem to have little regard for spending owners' HOA money, and creating back doors to get more of it).

Join TUG for only $15/year and you will learn how to maximize your investment by learning about hacks within the HGVC system.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
To me, staying in a studio with 1 bathroom with family now feels so uncomfortable even though that's what you get in a hotel.

I agree completely. I am shocked how fast my attitude has changed in the short time of getting into this. I also don't try to add people to the reservation to fill the pull-out sofa in the living room/kitchen area either.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
o me, staying in a studio with 1 bathroom with family now feels so uncomfortable even though that's what you get in a hotel.

Agree as well. As we don't have kids, it's often just the two of us, and a studio is fine. When we travel with family we get either two studios or a 2BR. We have done 2BR at Elara and do this yearly at DVC. We've had 1BR for the two of us and, while nice, it's not really necessary and not worth the extra points.

Of course, at Bay Club, we have no choice :)

Cheers.

Last edited:

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am willing to bet that you will be adding another resale to your portfolio in a few years as your children grow and you enjoy the privacy a 1 bdrm or 2 bdrm provide. To me, staying in a studio with 1 bathroom with family now feels so uncomfortable even though that's what you get in a hotel.
Agree with this 100%. I have a 1 BR+ 6200 point @LV Blvd. Kids started complaining they want their own bedrooms instead of sleeper sofa. Will be adding 8400 3 BR Scotland soon..

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Will be adding 8400 3 BR Scotland soon.

Nice. @frankyip, the nice thing is that you can add more later ask you use/understand the system. Of course, the additions will require another(s) MFs (just not an additional club dues as long as you title it the same).

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Here is a couple of questions to help me understand .
If I buy a platinum season and I want to book a gold season week at the same resort that I own, do I have to pay a fee to do that ($65)?
If I want to book a week at another resort, whether its a platinum week or gold week does a fee ($65???) apply?
Thank you in advance!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes to both. It is called a club reservation fee. Your home resort reservation of a full week in your resort during your season is the only item that does not have a reservation fee.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If I buy a platinum season and I want to book a gold season week at the same resort that I own, do I have to pay a fee to do that ($65)?
If I want to book a week at another resort, whether its a platinum week or gold week does a fee ($65???) apply?
Thank you in advance!

Correct, there is a booking fee applied whenever you reserve something other than what you own (a full week in the season at the resort you own).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thank you in advance!

The $65 booking is charged for every reservation except at your home resort using your full week during your home season starting on the assigned day of the week your resort has it start on (usually Friday). I have a platinum 2 bedroom at the Flamingo. To avoid the club booking fee, I would have to reserve in the platinum season a two bedroom at the Flamingo starting on a Friday.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, there is a booking fee applied whenever you reserve something other than what you own (a full week in the season at the resort you own).

Out of curiosity (not that I have plans to do this, and we don't have a booking fee anyway to to W. 57th ownership): I assume that if one books a full week in their owned season during the Club period (inside 9 months), the reservation fee would still be waived, i.e. one need not book only during Home Week period for this?

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I assume that if one books a full week in their owned season during the Club period (inside 9 months), the reservation fee would still be waived, i.e. one need not book only during Home Week period for this?

Home-Week reservations can be made during the Club reservation window.
Initially, it took some pulling of teeth w-HGVC, 'cuz it wasn't spelled out in the rules.
But now it is... To qualify, it has meet all the criteria for a HW booking.

frankyip

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys are beyond awesome!

I’ve already paid the $15 btw.

Just another question.

Is it a good idea to put both my name and my wife’s name on the deed? So that if only one of us is travelling, we don’t need to pay for the guest cert.

I don’t want to run into scenario when we put both name on the file, and they need both of us to be there for check in... thanks!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup. Put both for the reason you mentioned. Only 1 is needed to check in.

Cheers.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I’ve already paid the $15
There’s a changeover process to activate the membership - I don’t remember the details, but look for an email. Or chances are that another forum member will be able to direct you. You’ll know it’s done when it says “member” instead of “guest” under your avatar.