• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking through Expedia? Should I do it?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Hi all. We are traveling to France next year in Oct. The booking window opened recently so I am setting up my saved flight searches. In doing this I rediscovered something that worked very well for me in 2010 on our trip to Italy. If I book a flight & hotel on Expedia it saves me a phenomenal amount of $$. The fare class is listed as "K". I am always concerned that Expedia will mess something up because of issues that others have had with them but I've used them a few times and all was well.

For example, if I book San Diego to Paris with *one* night in the least expensive hotel, the cost is about $750 per person. If I go directly to United or Lufthansa, or any other airline the cost is over $1,200 each. If I use Chase Ultimate Rewards the Lufthansa flights are over $1,500pp. Also, on Expedia it shows zero baggage fee if I use the "bundle" feature, but if I book airfare only, it shows $60 per bag. So far, the cost savings of leaving out of LAX isn't worth it compared to leaving out of SAN on these fares and I would like to avoid LAX if at all possible.

Any thoughts pro or con on booking now? My daughter is going to Paris in March and has been watching airfares. She was happy to fly British Air for $760pp, but that doesn't include baggage and she did not get to select seats, so I know that the price is pretty good.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Typically, I book directly with providers, so as not to deal with TA's in the middle. But I like to check with online TA's to see if they can beat the provider's price. Also, it can be helpful to have a U.S. based TA when dealing with foreign carriers.

I used Expedia for a flight from Venice to Rome, and when it cancelled, they worked with me to find another. Also, they had a low-cost code-share flight from Athens to Frankfurt that no one else did. IOW, I wouldn't hesitate to use 'em.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Typically, I book directly with providers, so as not to deal with TA's in the middle. But I like to check with online TA's to see if they can beat the provider's price. Also, it can be helpful to have a U.S. based TA when dealing with foreign carriers.

I used Expedia for a flight from Venice to Rome, and when it cancelled, they worked with me to find another. Also, they had low-cost code-share flight from Athens to Frankfurt that no one else did. IOW, I wouldn't hesitate to use 'em.

Thanks for the reply. I just noticed that there is no seat selection allowed at (it appears) any price point on Expedia. I discovered this when doing my search for the exact flights on Chase UR. Chase was much more transparent with what we were getting (free bags, no seat selection). A google search seems to indicate that a lot of the European carriers are doing this now. Did you experience that?

Back in 2010 and 2012 I was able to select seats but we flew Delta and United, not an EU carrier. I just want to sit with my husband and not next to a stranger for 11 hours, lol. On Lufthansa economy, you select your seat at T-24 - just like checking in to Southwest. I hate having to watch the clock on vacation. I never know if I will have cell service and if OLCI will work.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Sometimes, even when booking thru a TA or another airline, you have to try seat selection on the airlines' own website where you call up your flights for review. If the flight is on an affiliate, you may need to call to get their booking code for your flight. I've called to confirm a flight and asked about seats and agreed to pay a fee if they had one.

We've encountered some Euro airlines where, even with a payment, seat selection was only available at check-in or the airport. I guess that lets them to use the most economical plane for number of passengers who show.

Last edited: