• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why You Should Get Global Entry and How It's Different From TSA Precheck

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Why You Should Get Global Entry and How It's Different From TSA Precheck
By Maya Kachroo-Levine/ T&L/ Travel Tips/ Customs/ Immigration/ Travel & Leisure/ travelandleisure.com

"If you’ve ever arrived on an international flight carrying 500 passengers, you know that the line at customs can be brutally long. And when you’ve been traveling for 18 hours and have already been through two layovers, the last thing you want is to spend another hour in line waiting to officially reenter the country. Time spent in the customs line is really just time you’re never getting back—and it’s further delaying the post-flight shower you’ve been longing for. This is where Global Entry benefits come in handy. For international travelers with Global Entry, there’s little-to-no line at customs, and instead of meeting with a customs agent, you just scan your documents at the kiosk and are on your way. If you’re ready to expedite your homecoming, here’s everything you need to know about the U.S. Global Entry program....."

Richard

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you charge your $100 Global Entry fee to your Chase Sapphire Reserve, you'll get a $100 credit to your account.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The AmEx Plat also gives credit for this. Even if you are paying for it, the extra $15 over pre-check alone is a small price to pay if you travel internationally. Applying for GE is a bit more of a hassle--you need to dig up quite a bit of extra info. But I found it well worth it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you charge your $100 Global Entry fee to your Chase Sapphire Reserve, you'll get a $100 credit to your account.
Same for Capitol One Venture card.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
One warning: Unless you live near a major international airport hub (usually on the coast), getting an appointment for your Global Entry interview can be next to impossible as they simply do not have much staff at the GE offices at many of the midwest airports. My family applied (3 of us), and the only airport within 500 miles with a GE office was Denver (DIA). The earliest we could schedule an appointment was more than 10 months out! Plus, because you had to create and log into three separate accounts (1 for each of us) to schedule an appointment, there was no way to get three appointments in a row. The best I could do is two appointments about 3 hours apart, and the third had to be on a different day, which meant two trips to the airport, about 2 hour round trip each time.

And to add to that, the TSA agents at DIA were so incompetent that they screwed up and never processed my application after my interview -- my wife's and my daughter's was processed fine. And forget about trying to get anyone to help you over the phone -- it is impossible to get through to customer service (as in, the line rings for a while and then you get the old "this number cannot be reached at this time" message; and I tried for WEEKS to get through!). In the end, we were vacationing in Marco Island a few months after my first interview, and I was able to make an appointment at Miami airport, so we had to take a full day out of our vacation, drive 2.5 hours each way to Miami for my second interview. On the positive side, the Miami staff were great and fixed the issue right away.

If renewing my Global Entry in 5 years requires another interview, I will switch to TSA Pre. It is just not worth the hassle for me.

Kurt

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Wow, I did not realize how hard it is for many people to get access to GE. We did it at SFO a few years back and it was quick and easy.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Lots of credit cards besides those mentioned will credit the Global Entry Fee.

There’s also an App called Mobile Passport that cuts down on rentering into the USA. Never used it so no idea of the utility of the App but it is free.

Renewal of GE is easy using the web site, no reinterview. I renewed last year in 10 minutes.

Cheers

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Renewal of GE is easy using the web site, no reinterview. I renewed last tear in 10 minutes.
That is good to know, thanks! I would not want to go through a quarter of the hassle I had to for the initial application.

Kurt

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Our experience at Minneapolis/St. Paul airport was pretty effortless, but we were very flexible on time of day for our appointment. I did learn on a recent trip to Vancouver that I should carry the card on some trips though. Vancouver is one of the airports where you clear U S customs before you leave Canada. But the workers there don't have access to the US database to confirm GE so I couldn’t go through that line without having my card in hand. I’ve never needed for other travel so don't bother to carry it.

Other than that experience I've been happy to have spent the money for GE.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
they simply do not have much staff at the GE offices at many of the midwest airports
I might have waited a few days tops for a slot in Detroit. Not hard at all. However, if one has a long wait at any local offices, scheduling for a few hours prior to a return flight from some other airport works. I have some friends in NYC who did that when those airports were slammed with GE appointments.

Mobile Passport
Last I looked (which admittedly was a while ago) MP did not work in DTW, which is my typical re-entry airport. But it does not hurt to check.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One warning: Unless you live near a major international airport hub (usually on the coast), getting an appointment for your Global Entry interview can be next to impossible as they simply do not have much staff at the GE offices at many of the midwest airports. My family applied (3 of us), and the only airport within 500 miles with a GE office was Denver (DIA). The earliest we could schedule an appointment was more than 10 months out! Plus, because you had to create and log into three separate accounts (1 for each of us) to schedule an appointment, there was no way to get three appointments in a row. The best I could do is two appointments about 3 hours apart, and the third had to be on a different day, which meant two trips to the airport, about 2 hour round trip each time.

And to add to that, the TSA agents at DIA were so incompetent that they screwed up and never processed my application after my interview -- my wife's and my daughter's was processed fine. And forget about trying to get anyone to help you over the phone -- it is impossible to get through to customer service (as in, the line rings for a while and then you get the old "this number cannot be reached at this time" message; and I tried for WEEKS to get through!). In the end, we were vacationing in Marco Island a few months after my first interview, and I was able to make an appointment at Miami airport, so we had to take a full day out of our vacation, drive 2.5 hours each way to Miami for my second interview. On the positive side, the Miami staff were great and fixed the issue right away.

If renewing my Global Entry in 5 years requires another interview, I will switch to TSA Pre. It is just not worth the hassle for me.

Kurt

You can do the interview without an appointment if you arrive from overseas to a major International Airport which provides Global Entry service. The interview took place at the immigration window when you clear for entry. Just tell the agent that you request an interview for Glabal Entry Application. Be careful they may not submit the interview result on time, just as what PigsDad described above. DH waited for a couple weeks after the interview and had to call to inquire about the application. He was approved over the phone and received the card within a few days.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I don't know about Global Entry, but Nexus has sure been nice. It comes with TSA Pre Check and costs less (if it fits your needs)....

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Took us about 6 months to get our GE appointment at the closest place which was in Rhode Island. I could have gone to Vermont within 1 week.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't know about Global Entry, but Nexus has sure been nice. It comes with TSA Pre Check and costs less (if it fits your needs)....
Does Nexus work for more countries than Canada?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
What is the Difference Between Global Entry, TSA Precheck and the Other Trusted Traveler Programs?
From the Transportation Security Administration/ Travel/ tsa.gov

"TSA Pre✓ provides expedited security screening benefits for flights departing from U.S. Airports. Global Entry provides the TSA Pre✓ benefit plus expedited US customs screening for international air travelers when entering the United States. TSA Pre✓ costs $85 and Global Entry costs $100 for a five year membership. Travelers interested in Global Entry must apply through the Trusted Traveler Program website.

Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI are programs of U.S. Customs and Border Protection. These programs offer travel benefits to pre-screened members. If you join Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI, use your membership number as a “known traveler number” in airline reservations to receive TSA Pre✓®.

To find the best program for you, use the Department of Homeland Security's interactive Trusted Traveler tool......"

Richard

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

If you get NEXUS, you also automatically get GE too. NEXUS is for entry into Canada, but they extend it to include GE. I had GE first, but since I am a dual citizen and travel frequently to Canada I added Nexus and it is the same card and it extended my GE expiration.

If you live close to the Canadian Border, considering getting Nexus for $50 CND instead of GE at $100 USD, if you have to pay for it yourself.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I answered above, but yes Canada and the US.
If you get NEXUS, you also automatically get GE too. NEXUS is for entry into Canada, but they extend it to include GE. I had GE first, but since I am a dual citizen and travel frequently to Canada I added Nexus and it is the same card and it extended my GE expiration.

If you live close to the Canadian Border, considering getting Nexus for $50 CND instead of GE at $100 USD, if you have to pay for it yourself.
What I didn't realize, or had forgotten, was that Nexus expedites entry into the U.S. as well as into Canada. It sounds like wherever you enter from (not just Canada) it may expedite your entry. The downside is the Nexus enrollment centers are only on, or near, the Canadian border, the Global Entry ones are more prevalent.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO

Kurt
My story was almost as painful as Kurt’s. We applied last year in March in Minneapolis, where we lived for 35 years. Husband got his invitation in six weeks and was interviewed in June. My processing was extremely slow. I got invitation in August, but there was no interview opening in MSP for three months. In the meantime we retired, sold the house and moved to Colorado. We flew back for MSP for interview and finish house cleaning last week in October. All went well except my local Colorado post office was slow in getting my mail box coded correctly ....and returned my Global terry card to sender. Later, when I was inquiring about the card, TSA agent told me I only need the number, not actual card. We used Global Entry multiple times this year and were impressed with speedy process.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
What I didn't realize, or had forgotten, was that Nexus expedites entry into the U.S. as well as into Canada. It sounds like wherever you enter from (not just Canada) it may expedite your entry. The downside is the Nexus enrollment centers are only on, or near, the Canadian border, the Global Entry ones are more prevalent.
I live in a boarder crossing city...Yes expedited entry with Nexus into Canada and USA, at most auto crossings, there is a designated lane for Nexus, and at some crossings there is even a "NEXUS" traffic lane to drive past the line up of regular folks. Also entering Canada with nexus, at major airports if you have an iris scan, you can also self declare...walk by the line ups again. Well worth it. But, as reported with Global, renewals are taking a long time...last year mine tool about 3 weeks, no appointment necessary, currently friends are 4 months and waiting.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My story was almost as painful as Kurt’s. We applied last year in March in Minneapolis, where we lived for 35 years. Husband got his invitation in six weeks and was interviewed in June. My processing was extremely slow. I got invitation in August, but there was no interview opening in MSP for three months. In the meantime we retired, sold the house and moved to Colorado. We flew back for MSP for interview and finish house cleaning last week in October. All went well except my local Colorado post office was slow in getting my mail box coded correctly ....and returned my Global terry card to sender. Later, when I was inquiring about the card, TSA agent told me I only need the number, not actual card. We used Global Entry multiple times this year and were impressed with speedy process.
I have needed the Global Entry card when entering the U.S. from Canada. Maybe this isn't true at all entry points, but I'm surprised the TSA agent told you that you didn't need it. Maybe he was talking about needing the card vs just the number for TSA PreCheck?

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
The card is required walking or driving - however I have been asked to show the card at airports. They gave me a CPB sticker on my passport which has worked, but I carry the card anyway.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I carry both card and passport, at all times traveling internationally just in case.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have needed the Global Entry card when entering the U.S. from Canada. Maybe this isn't true at all entry points, but I'm surprised the TSA agent told you that you didn't need it. Maybe he was talking about needing the card vs just the number for TSA PreCheck?
Similar experience. Never needed the Global Entry card when travelling from Europe, but was told I needed to have it when entering from Canada. The person let me through, but was told to carry it in the future.

With regard to the difficulty of getting the Global Entry card, for me, it was no problem at the Milwaukee airport. Had a reservation for an interview within a week. (The interview room was actually off site about two blocks from the airport.)