• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Luxxe - Thoughts on 4 bedroom units

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently stayed in a 4 bedroom at the GL Nuevo Vallarta and someone had asked for thoughts when we got back. We stayed in the 4 bedroom at Riviera Maya last year, so I thought there might be interest in some comparisons between the resorts/units.

The 4 bedroom suites in Nuevo Vallarta are all located in the Residence Tower. Set back from the beach, each floor has 4 suites, but one elevator that opens directly into the suite. There is a rooftop pool with pool bar, activities, loungers, etc. The location in the resort means that cart transportation is generally required. However, a perk of the residence tower seems to be that you can have anyone call you and they will come pick you up. They leave when you want from the tower as well. Everyone else appears to need to use the shuttles on fixed routes, which is slightly less convenient. I think all-in the shuttles are better here than in Riviera Maya. The resort is less spread out, and they have a map of the routes posted at each location.

The beach is good, with soft sand and little to no mud/rocks/coral/seaweed in the water. The waves are reasonable. Big enough to be fun to play in but not so strong they are hugely dangerous. We liked the beach better here than RM as well, where the water has coral/rock that makes it difficult to swim. The water on the Grand Luxxe side of the property is murky from the discharge of the Ameca river, we went to the Grand Mayan side for beach time.

The pool activities are great, and a highlight of the resort for us. They have two separate kids pool areas with toddler size slides, one at the Grand Mayan and one at the Grand Luxxe. The GL one required us to sign a waiver, as they also do kids cub/babysitting there. There are multiple other pools, a large waterslide, two wave pools, and a lazy river. The pools are better than Riviera Maya, imo.

For activities, they have multiple huts (joy center) each of which offers a few choices per day. The GL ones had ping pong, while the Grand mayan had billiards and foosball as well. Board games/books are available at all of them. We thought the activities at Riviera Maya were better for our pre-school aged kids. There was more variety and less of them had an extra charge. At Nuevo Vallarta many of the childrens activities (crafts) had an extra charge (~$10 USD/pp) whereas that was mostly not the case in RM. Many of the activities that were available for free in RM were available only in the kids club (paid, drop off) in NV, which isn't why we take family vacations.

The restaurants in NV were fairly reasonably priced. The best value was taco break, which is on the third floor of the plaza shopping building. A burrito (with chips and salsa to share) was ~$6 USD. Pool bar type items were typically $8-$12 USD. We took a taxi to Wal-Mart 3 times over the two weeks ($140 MXN each way) for groceries. The Vidanta app has deals every day, we used the 2X1 pizza both tuesdays we were there for delivery at lunch time. It took 1:20 for delivery, which was long after being quoted 45 minutes. Probably busy because of the deal.

The unit is large and gorgeous. The dining table is larger than some hotel rooms I've been in. Each bedroom has a full private bath, plus there is a "public" 2 piece bathroom. Full kitchen. We had two appliances fail during our trip. (The dishwasher didn't work when we arrived and the dryer blew a circuit part way through). The units here are slightly smaller than RM, but I think the layout is more functional, and I like it better. The unit is a bit tired looking, but I understand they just renovated the other half the units and so presumably this unit is up for renovation soon. It's still great, but is starting to show wear.

As an II exchanger we were charged the $11 pp/pd (grandfathered in). We didn't have to dispute that in any way. We were also not asked at any point during our stay if we wanted to take a timeshare presentation, which I found very surprising. I had to get rude when we checked into the Grand Mayan at Riviera Maya last year to get the tout to accept my declining the offer. I was polite the first 10 "no"s... We received a room on the 5th floor with a great view. There are room floors 1 through 9, so I thought 5 was pretty good as an exchanger.

Daily housekeeping is thorough, turn down service is included, with chocolates and little water bottles. The private pool on the deck is great. We had a great time, and exchanging in through II is exceptional value even with the $11 pp/pd. I will be willing to pay the $630/week in the future.

jssquared

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
We were just in Riviera Maya. Because of a last minute booking we were in a 3 bedroom spa tower unit. But have stayed int he 4 bedroom as well. Crazily, the four bedroom units in RM are all on the ground floor and in the building furthest from the lobby (and pool and spa).
We are just back from Riviera Maya (am hour ago) and I wanted to post some impressions and observations. Feel free to ask away:
1. We had an amazing time. I would suspect most people prefer NV, but we absolutely love RM.
2. Platinum status there means something. You have a dedicated group of concierges and major props to Jean Luc who remembered our names, stories and spoke beautiful French with my wife after our first meeting. There was a very nice cocktail reception for platinum owners at Azur. And, eveyr night a beautiful chocolate "gift" was delivered to our room. Platinum shuttles were always on call and were able to take us all the way to Cirque theater or the taxi area without having to change shuttles.
3. Salum is fantastic. There is a great vibe with lots of nice places to sit and relax. Great churros - my daughter said she will never eat another churro again because this one was so good. Cantina and Quinto anchor this space and there are a variety of aother places to eat and drink. Really good addition to the property.
4. We had no problem at all with seaweed. Beach was actually per
fectly clear that entire time we were there. Also, for those who do not know, walk about 5 - 10 minutes north along the beach from Grand Luxxe pool to the Valentin resort. They have a roped off swimming area that has a perfectly sandy bottom with absolutely no rocks. We walked up and had a blast swimming in the ocean.
5. Even though the Vidanta beach is rocky we very much enjoy looking in all the tide pools and finding all sorts of creatures.
6. We continue to be VERY disappointed in Azur. We have not enjoyed previous meals at Azur RM (we much prefer Azur NV) but there was a French food festival with a visting top chef from France so we gave it another shot. Unfortunately, the food was still quite poor and the onion soup pretty lousy.
7. For those who have kids or grandkids with allergies you must be hyper vigilant. The waiters and staff will yes you to death and promise no nuts (as an example) and they are almost always wrong. At the platinum reception at Azur we asked the HEAD CHEF of the restaurant if there were nuts in a specific dessert. He promised that there were not. Of course when we bit into it (we always go first before our daughter with the allergy) there was an entire hazelnut inside. You have to quadruple check and still be skeptical of the answers.
8. Went to Joya (for a second time) and took the full dinner package. I know it is quite expensive and a good bit more than the tickets only, but if you go definitely splurge. It was by far the best food we had all week. They had live music the entire time. And lots of magical surpirses throughout the dinner. I won't give it away - but again. Splurge. It is a really amazing and unique experience.
9. Jungle Luxxe - the new lobby looks almost ready. It is big and airy like the other lobbies. Built right next to the road that separates the rest of the Grand Luxxe area with the Jungle area. It would not surpirse me if it was opened in just weeks (or possibly even less).
10. The lazy river has now become a water fun complex. Scheduled to open in May, but as with everything Vidanta assume November. The area will include the lazy river, a big wave pool, multiple water slides, a restaurant, and I would imagine some other goodies.
11. Went to Rio Secreto. A fantastic time for the family in a really unique environment. We did the Plus tour which included a short bike ride, rapelling, walk through a dry cave and then the highlight a walk/swim through the wet cave. Definitely a great adventure off campus.
12. Went in to Playa Del Carmen. We are a family of five so the taxi is actually the exact same price as a shuttle for or family and obviously more convenient. Ate at Aldea Corazon on 5th avenue. Food is fantastic and it is set in a garden with their own cenote. Highly recommended.
13. We enjoy walking the paths and spotting all kinds of wildlife - parrots, coati, jays, snake, iguana, lizards, and a multitude of birds.
14. The Estates location is really bad there. It is going to be all the way across the higway. There is literally no information or details available. The current story is that there will be a gondola from Joya to the main area of Grand Luxxe to shuttle people back and forth. We will see.
All in all a great trip. Like I said, and especially for us East Coast folks with easy flights to Cancun, it is really a gem of a destination.
Feel free to ask any and all questions.

Flasher42

Reaction score
Just traded into Grand Luxxe NV for next October 3 bedroom. Thru II
Anyone stayed in a 3bedroom unit before, potential building?
Thank you

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Two possibilities; if it's a 3 BR loft it will be in GL tower 3 or tower 4 on the fourth floor or GL tower 5 on the ninth floor. If it's a 3 BR spa, it will be in tower 4 between floors 5 and 9. Since it's October it's likely that tower 5 will be closed for the low season and if it's a spa unit you'll get a decently high floor, though probably on the resort side rather than the Vallarta view side. I haven't stayed in the 3 BR ones, but the 2 BR loft and spa units are quite nice.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
we are staying at 4 bed residence at NV. Thanks so much for the insights and observations. They are most helpful.

Cheryl17

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vidanta app has deals every day, we used the 2X1 pizza both tuesdays we were there for delivery at lunch time. It took 1:20 for delivery, which was long after being quoted 45 minutes. Probably busy because of the deal.

We recently returned from the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta and had hoped to order a pizza one day, but we didn't see it on our room service menu, and it was no longer on the menu at Havana Moon. Was pizza listed on your room service menu, and do you know if it was available at any of the restaurants?

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
we just left RM and only one of our party of 4 could see the "specials". No idea why, no profiles created or anything diff. all downloaded the app however only 1 could see...

all four on same type of phone. :)

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently returned from the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta and had hoped to order a pizza one day, but we didn't see it on our room service menu, and it was no longer on the menu at Havana Moon. Was pizza listed on your room service menu, and do you know if it was available at any of the restaurants?

It was a separate menu for pizza. There wasn't one in our room with the regular menu. I called down to the concierge to ask about it, and they sent the menu up and put it in the little binder.

Cheryl17

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was a separate menu for pizza. There wasn't one in our room with the regular menu. I called down to the concierge to ask about it, and they sent the menu up and put it in the little binder.

Thanks! Now we know for next time.