• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan NV, 2020 availability with Interval

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
So this is a question spawned out of curiosity, not necessity.

We are planning to trade into the GM NV through Interval (MY2) some time in Feb/Mar of 2020. The check-in day and actual week aren't all that important at this time (although we do normally like to travel on Saturdays as we have found it easier to book flights with UA using miles on Sat. vs Fri. or Sun.)

I just went into II for the date range we want (as if I was going to make a trade) and I see plenty of availability (using our Marriott Timber Lodge 1BR as a trade). But what struck me as interesting was how almost every Friday and Sunday had availability, but NO Saturdays. So I changed the date range to start next week and go out to the last date II would allow (July 2020).

For the remainder of 2018 and all of 2019 there is availability of at least some room size (Studio, 1BR or 2BR) on almost every Fri/Sat/Sun of each week over that full 13 month time range. But as soon as it gets to 2020 there is only availability on Fridays and Sundays (no Saturdays)...no Sat. availability for the whole year (well, 7 months).

To me that seemed outside the range of statistical probability so I called Interval to see if they had any idea what was up. The response I got was that MY2 owners have to book a week and then deposit it with Interval in order for inventory to be available for trade.

OK, so yes, that is how the system is suppose to work. But there must be more to it in order for inventory to be available almost every check-in day though 2019 and but not on Saturdays in 2020. Again, that just does not make statistical sense. There has to be a manual intervention somewhere in the system to be making that happen.

Any ideas?

Steve

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Just an idea -
1) Vidanta available weeks are all developer controlled since it is a float week system.

2) IMO - Vidanta - works with exchange company’s the way hotels or airlines work . The same week is in more than one company , and as a week is booked , the inventory is removed from the reservation system .

3) On RCI “weeks” - Vidanta brands now show resort codes & inventory for 4 & 5 day stays .
I have assumed this helps them “even out “ occupancy from the variations created by Friday - Sat - Sun check in .

4) perhaps this is in someway linked to your question / observation

added- Vidanta owner / contracts have 2 ARP points .

Mayan Palace contracts are generally 6 month ARP - so Aug 1 2019 an owner can book any Feb. 2020 week .
Grand Luxecontract are generally 12 month ARP.
My guess is that Grand Mayan contracts are a mix of 6 & 12 month ARP

Vidanta seems very good at setting aside enough reservation capacity for owners who go in peak snowbird season every year . I am sure they have a numerical percent by week by resort location.
Perhaps it simplifies things if the inventory currently set aside (for owners)is all the same (ie)- your missing Saturday check in ‘s .

I would check after the Aug 1 2019 ARP point .

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not related to your Saturday query, but you might want to check Grand Luxxe availability for the same dates. I was able to book a 2 bedroom grand luxxe for dates in March 2020 some time ago.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
In RCI, there are typically 2 resort codes for each of the Vidanta resorts; one for owner deposits and one for developer bulk deposits. Not sure if they do the same with II. For a lot of the bulk deposits they start out with Friday and Sunday check in days, but adjust it later as T-dot said. Some of the bulk deposits do not reflect reality; for example in the October to November low season they will close certain buildings in NV, but still include the room types in bulk deposits (e.g., GL 1 BR lofts, Sea Garden). They anticipate being able to accommodate you elsewhere then. In the high season, having specific types of guests arrive on specific days probably allows them to manage the touts at the check in better.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just an idea -
1) Vidanta available weeks are all developer controlled since it is a float week system.

It seems the II representative I talked with yesterday is not aware of this.

2) IMO - Vidanta - works with exchange company’s the way hotels or airlines work . The same week is in more than one company , and as a week is booked , the inventory is removed from the reservation system .

3) On RCI “weeks” - Vidanta brands now show resort codes & inventory for 4 & 5 day stays .
I have assumed this helps them “even out “ occupancy from the variations created by Friday - Sat - Sun check in .

I don't see any options on II other than 7 day trades with Fri/Sat/Sun check-in days.

4) perhaps this is in someway linked to your question / observation

added- Vidanta owner / contracts have 2 ARP points .

Mayan Palace contracts are generally 6 month ARP - so Aug 1 2019 an owner can book any Feb. 2020 week .
Grand Luxecontract are generally 12 month ARP.
My guess is that Grand Mayan contracts are a mix of 6 & 12 month ARP

Vidanta seems very good at setting aside enough reservation capacity for owners who go in peak snowbird season every year . I am sure they have a numerical percent by week by resort location.
Perhaps it simplifies things if the inventory currently set aside (for owners)is all the same (ie)- your missing Saturday check in ‘s .

Hmmm, I guess that implies that owners only want to check in on Saturdays.

I would check after the Aug 1 2019 ARP point.

Not a bad plan, but I'd be a little concerned waiting until just 6 months out to try to make a trade. As I said at the top of my first post, checking in on a Sat. is not a necessity, but the whole thing is more of a curiosity. We would just possibly have to be more 'creative' in finding flights for a Fri. or Sun. check-in.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not related to your Saturday query, but you might want to check Grand Luxxe availability for the same dates. I was able to book a 2 bedroom grand luxxe for dates in March 2020 some time ago.

We have stayed at the GM before and really like the proximity to the lazy river, etc. It was also nice to be able to make a quick dash back up to our room to get another drink, etc. As nice as the GL looks, it just seems a little far away.

But I did go into II and checked availability at GL to see if the same pattern of room availability was there like with GM...and it was not. With GM, once I scrolled down to Jan. 1, 2020 all weeks were only Fri and/or Sun check-in. At GL, prior to, and after Jan. 1, 2020 there is availability each week for Fri, Sat, and Sun. (There were a couple of weeks here and there with no availability (but that is what I would expect to see as people make trades and consume inventory.)

Steve