• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Future Planning & Survey

welliott18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil Orlando HGVC
My wife and I are currently HGVC owners with 3,400 points EOY (odd) at Parc Soleil Orlando. We bought it with cash around 3.5 years ago. Yearly maintenance is $1,100.

We just had a presentation/review and they were trying to upsell us to a larger point package, but after reading this forum years ago knew would be a rip off. They showed us two options:

1. Upgrade to 5,200 points EOY with $860 maint for $8000 NET after buying or existing.

2. Upgrade to 7,000 points EY with $950 maint for $35,000 NET

We eventually would like to get more points and travel more. We like the flexibility and options with HGVC, but it’s pretty apparent that we got fleeced on our original purchase and buying more through Hilton is a ripoff.

I’m trying to determine what a good future move would be, dump our existing and buy something better resale or keep existing and buy resale (probably not ideal paying two maint fees). Our survey is below, look forward to any advice from some seasoned vets!

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Nothing in particular, we would eventually like to visit Europe, but tend to try different places each time.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

We like the flexibility of points for now and have only used our home resort once with HGVC so far

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Europe (Spain and Italy are on the list)
Hawaii (not too picky on island)
Caribbean (again not that picky)

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

2 adults
2 children (2.5 yo and expecting infant in 2019)

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Anytime currently, will change in 5 years when children are in school.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

~$20k

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

Can make anything work but would like to stay below $1,500

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Couple of questions. Is the $1500 just for the new purchase? I'll assume so because you would have a hard time keeping your yearly MF's below $1500 and get a platinum 7000 point interval. If it's combined, You would have to get rid of the EOY to make it work.

Was the 7000 point interval at Paradise in Vegas?

With the amount you have to spend and your stated travel patterns, I would suggest a platinum unit in Vegas. HGVC in Vegas, especially the Boulevard property have incredibly low MF's (about $850 for a two bedroom). The Paradise property has great MF's, but not as good as the Boulevard. As far as your EOY, you can keep it for the points, but the MF's are pretty high on those ($0.32 per points). For reference, the Boulevard has $0.12 per point. My Flamingo 7000 point, 2 bedroom platinum has MF's at $0.15 per point.

Last edited:

welliott18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil Orlando HGVC
Couple of questions. Is the $1500 just for the new purchase? I'll assume so because you would have a hard time keeping your yearly MF's below $1500 and get a platinum 7000 point interval. If it's combined, You would have to get rid of the EOY to make it work.

Was the 7000 point interval at Paradise in Vegas?

With the amount you have to spend and your stated travel patterns, I would suggest a platinum unit in Vegas. HGVC, especially the Boulevard property. They have incredibly low MF's (about $850 for a two bedroom). The Paradise property has great MF's, but not as good as the Boulevard. As far as your EOY, you can keep it for the points, but the MF's are pretty high on those ($0.32 per points). For reference, the Boulevard has $0.12 per point. My Flamingo 7000 point, 2 bedroom platinum has MF's at $0.15 per point.

$1,500 total MF would be ideal after an upgrade, but since I’m already $15,000 into the first purchase I will probably need to just eat that with whatever we upgrade to.

I know the 5,200 was Scotland. Pretty sure the lady mentioned the 7,000 was Vegas.

If I were to find a resale Parc Soleil does the MFs consolidate or would I pay separate fees for the two deeds?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My wife and I are currently HGVC owners with 3,400 points EOY (odd) at Parc Soleil Orlando. We bought it with cash around 3.5 years ago. Yearly maintenance is $1,100.

We just had a presentation/review and they were trying to upsell us to a larger point package, but after reading this forum years ago knew would be a rip off. They showed us two options:

1. Upgrade to 5,200 points EOY with $860 maint for $8000 NET after buying or existing.

2. Upgrade to 7,000 points EY with $950 maint for $35,000 NET

We eventually would like to get more points and travel more. We like the flexibility and options with HGVC, but it’s pretty apparent that we got fleeced on our original purchase and buying more through Hilton is a ripoff.

I’m trying to determine what a good future move would be, dump our existing and buy something better resale or keep existing and buy resale (probably not ideal paying two maint fees). Our survey is below, look forward to any advice from some seasoned vets!

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Nothing in particular, we would eventually like to visit Europe, but tend to try different places each time.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

We like the flexibility of points for now and have only used our home resort once with HGVC so far

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Europe (Spain and Italy are on the list)
Hawaii (not too picky on island)
Caribbean (again not that picky)

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

2 adults
2 children (2.5 yo and expecting infant in 2019)

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Anytime currently, will change in 5 years when children are in school.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

~$20k

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

Can make anything work but would like to stay below $1,500

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes
Hi, welcome to Tug.

I would give away your 3400 as you are mostly going elsewhere. It has no resale value. I have given away one I had here on Tug listing it in the bargain section and marketplace. Let me add, let’s say you owned 3400 points where you always go I would say keep it. I own a 3500 point week in Marco Island I will use more then I won’t so I keep it.

Evaluate if you must use your week during school vacation versus summer and if there is a must locaton. If you will be flexible I would then look for a 8400 point week. I have purchased an event week July 4th at Anderson in Myrtle Beach strictly for trading and mfs are $1161 for 8400 points. Buy in will cost you way under $20,000. Be patient and look hard and you should be able to get one under $7000. Get one at ocean 22 down the road and it will cost much more. Hgvc doesn’t seem to be exercising rofr too much right now at Anderson.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You can get a resale 7000 point contract in Vegas for $7000 or under if you take your time monitoring all the resale listings. Hang on to the 3400 for now, get some return on your initial purchase.

Scotland has some good value units also, there is a resale dept there, that would be another option.

If you book right at 9 months you should get Hawaii. Italy, Portugal are tougher to get summer weeks, you can get shoulder seasons there. Carribean is just coming online, not much there, you might have to learn how to use RCI searches for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
$1,500 total MF would be ideal after an upgrade, but since I’m already $15,000 into the first purchase I will probably need to just eat that with whatever we upgrade to.

I know the 5,200 was Scotland. Pretty sure the lady mentioned the 7,000 was Vegas.

If I were to find a resale Parc Soleil does the MFs consolidate or would I pay separate fees for the two deeds?

Yeah, those MF's are very high. I would suggest purchasing nothing but platinum. The only caveat is if you are buying a place and time that you will use often and need the three month home booking advantage (Ski week in Colorado/Utah, Certain weeks in Hawaii or one of the SW Florida resorts). Points are points if you are using them for club bookings. 8400 points would be great and at your entry point, it's very doable. I still would suggest Vegas as the MF's there are still very low. Scotland has great MF's right now and you can purchase resale directly from them. John Pringle at Craigandarroch can help you there. They have great 2 and 3 bedroom platinum units there with MF's as good as or better than the Boulevard. The only issue is if the exchange rate between the Sterling Pound and the US Dollar becomes less favorable.

I agree with @Panina above in stating you should get rid of the EOY gold at Park Solei, but only after you acquire your new unit. You can try to sell it on the Tug marketplace or give it away. You could always just use it too. If you bought a 2 bedroom platinum at The Boulevard, your MF's on your odd years around $0.19 per point. I all depends what your travel schedule is. If you can use the points? You may want to keep them.

HGVC won't consolidate the contracts. They will consolidate the points into your account and pay only one club dues, as long as the names are exactly the same on the two deeds. You can draw from both at the same time, but they are technically two different deeds.

You've come to the right place for advice. You may get some differing opinions, but, for the most part, all have merit. You just have to find what works for you.

welliott18

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil Orlando HGVC
Thanks for all the feedback!

I wish I knew about these options before we made our initial purpose, but at least I won’t get stuck paying another $30-$40k to just get up to 7,000 points annually!

I will need to do some calculations/forecasting to see if it’s worth keeping the Parc Soleil since I’ve already buried a bunch of cash into it.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks for all the feedback!

I wish I knew about these options before we made our initial purpose, but at least I won’t get stuck paying another $30-$40k to just get up to 7,000 points annually!

I will need to do some calculations/forecasting to see if it’s worth keeping the Parc Soleil since I’ve already buried a bunch of cash into it.
Many of us, like you, purchased our first timeshare at full cost from a developer, including me. It served its purpose, you know timesharing works for you. Don’t look back, look forward, to the great deal you will find.