• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Cars - Hawaii - PRICE DROP

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Finally ... Or Costco car reservation for our JEEP Wrangler on the Big Island in October for 21 day finally had a price reduction of $415 ... Yay :cheer:

If anyone is is/has been shopping for a Hawaii rental ... now might be a good time to check....

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Would folkd prefer Alamo or for an extra $110 Enterprise?

I think in Hawaii, either company is fine. I'd go with the cheaper one. The cars will be identical.

Dave

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally ... Or Costco car reservation for our JEEP Wrangler on the Big Island in October for 21 day finally had a price reduction of $415 ... Yay :cheer:

If anyone is is/has been shopping for a Hawaii rental ... now might be a good time to check....

Great savings!

Thanks for the reminder to check. :thumbup:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I would always go with Alamo, all things being equal. The kiosk at Alamo might save you hours over Enterprise.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
I would prefer Alamo, because you get to pick your car from a selection of choices in the class.
In this case doesn’t matter much ...
JEEP Wrangler or JEEP Wrangler

itr452

Reaction score
sweet thanks for the headsup just checked and our minivan rental for HNL went down $40 for the week!

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Enterprise and Alamo are essentially the same company. Same with National. They are owned by the same parent company.

https://www.enterpriseholdings.com/en/index.html
And on another note Avis, Budget and Payless are owned by the same company (not the same company as Alamo). Once when we had a rental in Albuquerque with Budget, they didn't have the size car we needed, so the rep just moved over to the Avis desk and gave us one of their cars. :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just got notification through AutoSlash today that they found a cheaper price for our rental on Maui in March. We originally had a mid-size SUV with Alamo for $804.00 for two weeks. Now it's $629.80, still with Alamo.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got notification through AutoSlash today that they found a cheaper price for our rental on Maui in March. We originally had a mid-size SUV with Alamo for $804.00 for two weeks. Now it's $629.80, still with Alamo.

I have a big island two week rental in January that just went down by $250 yesterday. Might be worth a check for those with upcoming trips.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our son and daughter-in-law just got a 2 week rental from Costco for $600, full-sized car at Alamo. This is for 2/23-3/9. I think it was a special sale.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Our son and daughter-in-law just got a 2 week rental from Costco for $600, full-sized car at Alamo. This is for 2/23-3/9. I think it was a special sale.
I'm seeing close to the same rate we got through AutoSlash and Priceline with Costco. Our rental is actually for 15 days, not two weeks. They are quoting $635.59 for a midsize SUV, our price is $629.80. Both with Alamo. Full size cars are more.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We got a 2 week rental on Oahu for a little over $300 in late September. I had a car booked for more and at the airport, I switched to a different company and the last minute price was lower. I did not switch due to price. The first company had terrible airport pickup service and we were waiting for the car rental bus for a long time so I looked up another company that had a lot of rental car buses passing us by and switched. I use the discount car rental links to book cars in Hawaii. The pricing is often a lot better than other options and it is all name brand rental car companies.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just rented a full size from the Phoenix airport for two weeks with a total cost under $300. Why Hawaii is so high seems ludicrous when few drive many miles with their rental. For our upcoming Feb trip for 17 days we will probably drive 3 or 4 hundred miles. Our present cost is around $700. Previously we have always gotten rentals under $200 per week.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We just rented a full size from the Phoenix airport for two weeks with a total cost under $300. Why Hawaii is so high seems ludicrous when few drive many miles with their rental. For our upcoming Feb trip for 17 days we will probably drive 3 or 4 hundred miles. Our present cost is around $700. Previously we have always gotten rentals under $200 per week.
I would imagine prices are higher for rental cars as with everything else on Hawaii it's difficult to get it there. They probably have smaller fleets, and difficulty in replacing cars when they go out of service.

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
THANK YOU ALL once again! I totally forgot about looking at Costco for rental cars. After more than 6 years, we're finally heading back to Maui for two weeks this spring. The price to rent a convertible from Avis (through Costco and the Avis site) is $2,409; Alamo through Costco is $721! Awesome!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I just checked mine yesterday and it went down $50 for my Maui trip. So we now have a full size SUV for $317 all in. Full size cars came down to $240 so that’s not too bad either. I’ll keep watch. I have this registered in AutoSlash but haven’t gotten any notices from them.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
I just checked mine yesterday and it went down $50 for my Maui trip. So we now have a full size SUV for $317 all in. Full size cars came down to $240 so that’s not too bad either. I’ll keep watch. I have this registered in AutoSlash but haven’t gotten any notices from them.
I have a car through Hotwire for President's Week 2019 Maui. Maui often sells out that week and I have had to pay through the nose. Also, try Price line. Costco did not work for me last time.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have a car through Hotwire for President's Week 2019 Maui. Maui often sells out that week and I have had to pay through the nose. Also, try Price line. Costco did not work for me last time.

Costco didn’t work for me either last time. I actually used RCI. They had the best price. I did try Priceline and they were about the same on a full sized car but more on the full sized SUV. We have friends with us this time and extra luggage for our condo so I need the larger vehicle. I’ll keep watching.