• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Large DVC Annual Dues Increase for 2019

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
DVC annual dues/maintenance fees are going up a lot for 2019. Looks like it is due, for the most part, to the new hourly wage of $15.00. Not sure if this is a one-time hit or not for the rise to $15.00 an hour:

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/proposed-2019-disney-vacation-club-annual-dues/

If it is due to increased wages, then this shows exactly how a higher minimum wage causes inflation in the economy so eventually the value of $15 goes away and it will need to raised again.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably can expect significant increases next year as well. Some of the rise doesn't go into effect until September, so that will affect 2019 much more than 2018. Plus it goes up another $1 in 2019 and then another $1 in 2020...

A few years of big dues increases and expiration getting to be a factor could finally see DVC prices turn, especially if the economy turns.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Probably can expect significant increases next year as well. Some of the rise doesn't go into effect until September, so that will affect 2019 much more than 2018. Plus it goes up another $1 in 2019 and then another $1 in 2020...

A few years of big dues increases and expiration getting to be a factor could finally see DVC prices turn, especially if the economy turns.

For smarter people, but there will always be the ones the drink the Disney cool-aid.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am not sure why liking Disney means one is drinking the Disney kool aid. I actually did not like Disney when I bought it but I now like it a lot after visiting a few times and in diffferent locations. I was going to sell all my DVC timeshares but held on because the Disney bubble truly is magical and unlike anywhere else.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know I will be crucified for saying this. I am not surprised by the huge MF increases at Disney. Compared to my other timeshares, I have been thinking Disney is not that expensive. I was surprised by how affordable the MFs are at DVC relative to rentals. It does not surprise me that Disney is increasing MFs this much in what is the hottest economy in my history. We own the most points in the DVC resorts that are not increasing as much. So for us, the increase will not be as much on average. I am concerned that this may affect resale values since we were thinking of selling in the next couple of years. I suspect though that the bigger problem with resale values will be the impending recession in 2020+.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Impending recession? Please tell me it ain't so! :) There will be a market correction, and it will affect some people to the point where they will sell and maybe the price of DVC will tank again. Maybe I can buy more DVC Points?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Impending recession? Please tell me it ain't so! :) There will be a market correction, and it will affect some people to the point where they will sell and maybe the price of DVC will tank again. Maybe I can buy more DVC Points?

We are having market corrections now. Housing and the stock market are correcting as I type. The economy has been growing since 2009, although many people do not feel it. At some point, there has to be another recession.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have been doing the math for a few years now on this and the economics on dvc ownership haven't made sense and won't make sense for anyone ever because dvc keeps exercising rofr to keep the market proped up..

They are the only company that does this and based on my more in depth view of thr company they will probably never stop...

Sucks for me as I will probably never buy.. good on them and their customers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Other hotel-managed timeshares have ROFR. I am pretty sure Hilton does, and of course Marriott and Westin do as well, same with Hyatt. It's not exclusive to Disney.

I love Disney. I hope the price goes back down to $50 per point again (resale), so I can buy more.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been doing the math for a few years now on this and the economics on dvc ownership haven't made sense and won't make sense for anyone ever because dvc keeps exercising rofr to keep the market proped up..

They are the only company that does this and based on my more in depth view of thr company they will probably never stop...

DVC rarely exercises ROFR. I bought into Aulani at less than half the retail price. The market demand drives resale prices. I paid a lot for Grand Cal resale due to the market, not due to ROFR.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Other hotel-managed timeshares have ROFR. I am pretty sure Hilton does, and of course Marriott and Westin do as well, same with Hyatt. It's not exclusive to Disney.

I love Disney. I hope the price goes back down to $50 per point again (resale), so I can buy more.

Maybe in the next depression.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

One has to compare DVC to staying on property using cash. If staying on property isn't worth an uncharge for a given person, DVC will never make sense for anyone, even those who bought when the market was lower. There will be a pullback at some point but if there's a fire sale it's unlikely any most could buy in anyway as the economy or the company would be in the tank. At the current levels it does make less sense that at other times historically.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday a 200 Magic Kingdom was sold for 12100

upload_2018-11-25_11-40-8.png

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably won’t pass rofr
i am not even sure why it was on ebay. the auction started at zero so the owner took a big risk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yesterday a 200 Magic Kingdom was sold for 12100

View attachment 9198
Disney just got more points at AKL to sell for $171 a point. Someone on the waitlist to buy at AKL will be getting a call from their guide.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian

I agree with much of this. We stayed off-site in timeshares for years because we were on a budget. But once we had the means, I reached a point last summer at Disneyland while waiting in line for the buses where I was SO OVER it. I decided I had spent enough time in various Disney bus, parking, and tram lines the past 20 years and it was time to buy VGC. I did the math, and while the lifetime cost was higher than what we were paying off-site, it wasn't as much as I thought it would be (and it would've been even less had we bought SSR). At my age, that added cost is totally worth not spending another minute in one of those bus lines! And with the addition of Star Wars land next year, I fully expect there to be major perks to staying on site! :)

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought from Fidelity in 2015. AKV for $85/point. The chatter chatter on the boards is that these few really low contracts were BK, so deeds have the propensity to be rather tainted which you can't see that upfront. So there is risk but payoff if it works out well.

I just sold one of my contracts. My kids don't want to stay at Disney any longer, but I do like the annual pass discount. But we started cruising on Disney, so they are now over it. Sigh!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bought from Fidelity in 2015. AKV for $85/point. The chatter chatter on the boards is that these few really low contracts were BK, so deeds have the propensity to be rather tainted which you can't see that upfront. So there is risk but payoff if it works out well.

I just sold one of my contracts. My kids don't want to stay at Disney any longer, but I do like the annual pass discount. But we started cruising on Disney, so they are now over it. Sigh!

What do you mean by BK and tainted?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
it is interesting that contracts continue to be sold on ebay and sometimes won at even lower prices: 250 annual points for $5625. Since it is the end of the year, some of these purchases may escape ROFR. Good for the buyers!
upload_2018-12-1_19-46-1.png

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
it is interesting that contracts continue to be sold on ebay and sometimes won at even lower prices: 250 annual points for $5625. Since it is the end of the year, some of these purchases may escape ROFR. Good for the buyers!
View attachment 9275
No way is that going to make it through ROFR. Disney will love to get those points back and sell them for about $170 per point. I should be bidding on eBay, just in case you are right.