• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai resort with beach with short walking distance

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
We went to Kauai once before and stayed at Marriott Waiohai. We liked it and the beach was 2 minutes from the room. We are considering going back to Kauai and wondering what resorts have ocean views and or close beach access.I would be really unhappy if I had no view and had to get in the car to go to the beach. Since you never know what kind of view you might get the safe thing would be to get something close to the beach.

Any recommendations

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will need more info if you want good advice. Are you using the Marriott system? Trading in II?

Walking out front of your resort to a good swimming beach:

1. Marriott’s Waiohai
2. Marriott’s Kauai Beach Club
3. Sheraton Poipu (no ocean views though)

Two minute shuttle to a swimming beach:

1. Marriott’s Kauai Lagoons
2. Westin Princeville

There are other timeshares that are beachfront, but not on good swimming beaches.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Jim - Except for the Princeville resorts, most of the Kauai timeshares are right on the beach, but a specific unit may or may not have a view. Are you going to exchange or rent? If exchange, what exchange company?

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Hanalei bay resort in princeville has beautiful views of hanalei bay and has a path to the beach that is shared with what was once the St. Regis hotel, now called something else.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I have ongoing search in II and RCI . Also have access to SFX and have Wyndham points. I stayed on the south side before and was trying to find something on the north side on a beach or with a view and close to beach. Sound like Westin and Hanalei bay are the only ones in the North.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There are a lot of resorts in the north (Princeville) - they are up on a cliff, including the Westin. We enjoyed the Westin, even though it's not ocean front. It's not a very long drive to Hanalei Bay which has great beaches.

We took the shuttle from the Westin to the St. Regis beach this summer - I probably wouldn't go there again, but it was interesting once. It was a crowded hotel beach experience - which is not really our cup of tea.

IMG_3188.JPG

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
I have ongoing search in II and RCI . Also have access to SFX and have Wyndham points. I stayed on the south side before and was trying to find something on the north side on a beach or with a view and close to beach. Sound like Westin and Hanalei bay are the only ones in the North.
Aloha,
While there are relatively few units deposited for exchange in part because it is a small resort, all units at the Shearwater in Princeville have some view of the ocean.
Jack

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Getting to the beach from Shearwater is a bit of a trick. Rick has done it, there is a path next door to Shearwater, but he told me I should not try it. Rick is like a goat on rocky paths, and I am very unsteady on my feet and always have been.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In your original post you mentioned not wanting to have to hop in a car to go to a beach.

Except for the Princeville area resorts, every timeshare that I can think of on Kauai will fit that requirement.

Within Princeville, as mentioned above Hanalei Bay resort has a paved path to the beach below the St. Regis. It is a steep; enough that if any members of your party are challenged they probably wouldn't want to take it back. The resort does have golf carts, which will pick people up on request.

Other Princeville resorts that might be close to the ocean, such as Shearwater, will also have a footpath to an ocean beach below the cliff. These paths are steep and often muddy and slippery. When these trails are wet, sprained ankles are common. We have seen people being carried out on a stretcher after slipping on the trail.

Most resorts that have ocean views will have a variety of views, including units that are "garden view" - i.e., no ocean view. In most cases, exchangers are more likely to receive those garden view rooms.

There are a number of resorts in Princeville that do no have any ocean view rooms - or only a very limited number of distant views. That would include Bali Hai, Ka Eo Kai, Cliffs Club. I'm sure there are some others.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
There are a lot of resorts in the north (Princeville) - they are up on a cliff, including the Westin. We enjoyed the Westin, even though it's not ocean front.

Even though not advertised as ocean front, according to my notes there are a few villas at The Westin Princeville which would qualify as ocean front in most resorts. Building 3 Villas 3221-3228 and Building 7 Villas 7217-7222.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Be careful on Kauai, accommodations might be beachfront but not all beaches offer safe swimming.
There used to be a map of Kauai drownings circulating, might still be found by a web search.

Well, here's one article:
http://www.teok.com/drowning-deaths-in-kauai-ocean-shoreline-waters/

"In summary, the middle aged male visitor from the U.S. mainland has the highest potential of becoming a Kauai drowning death victim – take note you guys."

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Kauai once before and stayed at Marriott Waiohai. We liked it and the beach was 2 minutes from the room. We are considering going back to Kauai and wondering what resorts have ocean views and or close beach access.I would be really unhappy if I had no view and had to get in the car to go to the beach. Since you never know what kind of view you might get the safe thing would be to get something close to the beach.

Any recommendations
These are tough requirements when exchanging. Exchangers don't have control of the view and the areas you're looking at are difficult to match exchanging even without such requirements. Still it's good to know as much as possible so there are no surprises.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club

Any recommendations
We got an exchange into Waiohai last April and loved it! We've always stayed at Westin Princeville but the weather on the north shore tends to be rainier and the beach access isn't nearly as convenient. Lots of great eating options on the south shore too. If we make it back to Kauai, Waiohai or the newly renovated Sheraton Kauai would be my choices. Its going to be interesting to see if any of the new Sheraton villas appear for trades, but the Vistana website shows them to book with StarOptions.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The Point at Poipu is a nice resort and while there is not beach directly in front of it, if you go to the ocean, make a left turn and walk on a path for perhaps 1/4 mile there is a nice beach there. Do a google maps on it.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The Beaxh described above is Ship Wreck.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
never mind

Last edited:

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Pono Kai. Even the K building is close to the ocean.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I don't know how you could do much better than Waioahi. The views are about the only downside.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Is OP renting or exchanging? If the former, Waiohai is right on the beach and renting a deeded OV unit from an owner will eliminate view risk (no guarantee of an excellent view, but no really bad views).