• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Optimize Vacation Club Points/Reward Points at Disney

vengle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok so I want to go to Disney after Thanksgiving next year with 5 people. I want to stay on site not one of the other Orlando properties because that means renting a car and paying to park every day, I have both Destination Points and Rewards points. Anyone have any suggestions on how best to utilize and get on property? Do people ever do direct trades for Marriott stuff with DVC points? Help please.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok so I want to go to Disney after Thanksgiving next year with 5 people. I want to stay on site not one of the other Orlando properties because that means renting a car and paying to park every day, I have both Destination Points and Rewards points. Anyone have any suggestions on how best to utilize and get on property? Do people ever do direct trades for Marriott stuff with DVC points? Help please.

Dolphin and Swan are both Marriott Hotels.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I was able to do a direct trade with a DVC owner 4 years ago. I gave my 2BR Aruba Surf Club for a 2BR at Old Key West (7 nights on both sides). It happened to work with the woman that I traded with, as she and her family had been going to Disney for something like 15 years in a row, many times. They wanted a break and it was one of those, right place at the right time things. I don't remember if I found her via TUG or via a Disney forum. I received 4 or 5 other contacts about the trade before finding the woman I traded with, who was fantastic. In the other contacts, I was offered anywhere from 3 to 6 nights in exchange for my 2BR Aruba Surf Club week. So be prepared for that. Hopefully it will work out for you.

Outside of that, I'd maybe rent out your points to cover the cost of booking a Disney resort direct, or via dvcrequest.com.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
I'm sure Swan and Dolphin are great places to stay, but also a boat load of points. I know you said you want to stay on property, and I think a direct exchange with a DVC owner would be your best option if you can find one. But the title of the thread says optimize so, I'll share that I just learned the Marriott Village is about a mile from the parks and offers free shuttles to the parks. We plan to go to Disney in 2019 and to wanted stay on property for the free shuttles and do the meal plan. I did a little bit of research and found these hotels with the free shuttles and two of them offer free breakfast, so now we are weighing our options. The properties are all category 4, so pretty reasonable, and I can use travel packages. It is not staying on property, and we still want to do that, but this is tempting. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use the three cat 4 TPs sitting in my account. I might just use two of them here.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One can often get some really good deals at the Swan/Dolphin on cash.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Direct trades with DVC folks are hard.

First, your typical DVC owner who confines their vacation ownership to DVC doesn’t really consider their ownership as a timeshare. They associate “timeshares” with sleaziness and are wary, assuming they’re going to be somehow ripped off. And many assume DVC is hands down the best timeshare out there and that anything else they might trade for is going to be a huge step down in quality. (I’m not talking about the TUG type DVC owners, I’m talking about the ones who only own DVC and mostly vacation at Disney resorts).

Second, the rental market is so strong with DVC, and there’s brokers who will do all the work for the owner, folks can literally rent their points out for a good price within a few days. So they can convert their ownership readily into cash.

By way of example, an owner at Old Key West who might be willing to exchange with you could reserve a low season (Jan) week in a 2BR for 217 points, or they could rent those points for around $3000.

A higher dollar example would be an April (higher season) 2BR reservation at Grand Floridian, lake view, which is a 551 pt reservation that the owner could easily rent for $8200.

The thing in your favor is that if a DVC owner is open to trying some other timeshare type, it probably would be Marriott. But you’re reasonably going to need to offer a lot to get some exchanges, and it wouldn’t be a bargain for you. You could get lucky and find a DVC owner who is open to a trade, doesn’t want to rent their points out and then use that money to rent a Marriott week from Redweek say, and has the points you need to make the rental. But it’s something of a long shot and you’d need to be offering up something to the DVC owner that’s in the $3000-$8000+ range in value, or logically it doesn’t make sense to do. You might have to offer three 2BR weeks in your Marriott (depending on its value) to get that VGF reservation, making it not much of a bargain for you.

vengle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Swan and Dolphin are great places to stay, but also a boat load of points. I know you said you want to stay on property, and I think a direct exchange with a DVC owner would be your best option if you can find one. But the title of the thread says optimize so, I'll share that I just learned the Marriott Village is about a mile from the parks and offers free shuttles to the parks. We plan to go to Disney in 2019 and to wanted stay on property for the free shuttles and do the meal plan. I did a little bit of research and found these hotels with the free shuttles and two of them offer free breakfast, so now we are weighing our options. The properties are all category 4, so pretty reasonable, and I can use travel packages. It is not staying on property, and we still want to do that, but this is tempting. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use the three cat 4 TPs sitting in my account. I might just use two of them here.

I found those "good neighbor" hotels yesterday as well. Free breakfast and complimentary shuttle I think it was only to Magic Kingdom did seem like a good deal for Rewards points. Three Cat 4 TPs....what are those?

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
The thing in your favor is that if a DVC owner is open to trying some other timeshare type, it probably would be Marriott. But you’re reasonably going to need to offer a lot to get some exchanges, and it wouldn’t be a bargain for you. You could get lucky and find a DVC owner who is open to a trade, doesn’t want to rent their points out and then use that money to rent a Marriott week from Redweek say, and has the points you need to make the rental...

While I was able to find the right person, previously, to do a trade, I do agree with this info. As I mentioned, I was contacted by 4 or 5 other DVC owners about my trade request, and those went very much like what heathpack describes. I was told by 2 of them that MVC resorts are not even close to the quality of the DVC resorts. Others were comparing my MF, which they found on TUG, to their rental potential when they determined how many nights they'd be willing to book for my week in Aruba. But, in the end, I found a very nice woman that wanted to trade 7 nights for 7 nights, and it was great.

I will say, comparing Aruba Surf Club to Old Key West, I felt Surf Club was superior in the villa itself, the onsite amenities (pool options, beach, etc). Where Old Key West beats MVC resorts is just in the convenience of a Disney vacation. I'm sure some of the newer DVC locations may be nicer, since OKW is the oldest, I believe.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
I found those "good neighbor" hotels yesterday as well. Free breakfast and complimentary shuttle I think it was only to Magic Kingdom did seem like a good deal for Rewards points. Three Cat 4 TPs....what are those?

TPs are travel packages. Just means I have 3 five night certificates to be used at category 4 hotels.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

First, your typical DVC owner who confines their vacation ownership to DVC doesn’t really consider their ownership as a timeshare. They associate “timeshares” with sleaziness and are wary, assuming they’re going to be somehow ripped off. And many assume DVC is hands down the best timeshare out there and that anything else they might trade for is going to be a huge step down in quality. (I’m not talking about the TUG type DVC owners, I’m talking about the ones who only own DVC and mostly vacation at Disney resorts).

Second, the rental market is so strong with DVC, and there’s brokers who will do all the work for the owner, folks can literally rent their points out for a good price within a few days. So they can convert their ownership readily into cash.

By way of example, an owner at Old Key West who might be willing to exchange with you could reserve a low season (Jan) week in a 2BR for 217 points, or they could rent those points for around $3000.

A higher dollar example would be an April (higher season) 2BR reservation at Grand Floridian, lake view, which is a 551 pt reservation that the owner could easily rent for $8200.

The thing in your favor is that if a DVC owner is open to trying some other timeshare type, it probably would be Marriott. But you’re reasonably going to need to offer a lot to get some exchanges, and it wouldn’t be a bargain for you. You could get lucky and find a DVC owner who is open to a trade, doesn’t want to rent their points out and then use that money to rent a Marriott week from Redweek say, and has the points you need to make the rental. But it’s something of a long shot and you’d need to be offering up something to the DVC owner that’s in the $3000-$8000+ range in value, or logically it doesn’t make sense to do. You might have to offer three 2BR weeks in your Marriott (depending on its value) to get that VGF reservation, making it not much of a bargain for you.
I think you've just got to luck out and find the right person, have a top option like Maui or be willing to do an asynchronous trade like a 2 BR for a studio (or pony up cash in addition) much of the time.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
While I was able to find the right person, previously, to do a trade, I do agree with this info. As I mentioned, I was contacted by 4 or 5 other DVC owners about my trade request, and those went very much like what heathpack describes. I was told by 2 of them that MVC resorts are not even close to the quality of the DVC resorts. Others were comparing my MF, which they found on TUG, to their rental potential when they determined how many nights they'd be willing to book for my week in Aruba. But, in the end, I found a very nice woman that wanted to trade 7 nights for 7 nights, and it was great.

I will say, comparing Aruba Surf Club to Old Key West, I felt Surf Club was superior in the villa itself, the onsite amenities (pool options, beach, etc). Where Old Key West beats MVC resorts is just in the convenience of a Disney vacation. I'm sure some of the newer DVC locations may be nicer, since OKW is the oldest, I believe.

I think you should stop comparing and just pay for what you want.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thought would be to rent your week and use the cash to rent DVC points/reservation either through a rental company or private party. We have both rented points and rented out points using a rental company and both experiences were good. You can add the dining plan and use the Disney magical express to get to/from the airport by renting points. The cost is MUCH less than renting directly from Disney. It may seem like a lot of work, but it’s another option.

We own both Marriotts and DVC (Boardwalk and Saratoga Springs). I think the comparison of which is nicer is entirely dependent on the property. A couple of years ago we stayed last minute in an Old Key West studio. It was comparable to a cheap Motel 6 room. I was appalled at the condition of the room. Having said that we have also stayed in the Grand Villa at Aulani and it was probably the nicest room we have ever stayed in. Amazing room!