• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui News article on County of Maui's appeal on WKORV WKORVN tax ruling

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So if Maui County increases the hotel taxes = to timeshare taxes everybody will be happy.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
So if Maui County increases the hotel taxes = to timeshare taxes everybody will be happy.

You would not have the problem of inequality but you would still have people complaining due to people protesting taxation in general, right?

However, I think taxes are always inequitable. Someone will always find a way to spin them as being unfair to a certain group or that someone else is not paying their fair share.

WahooWah

Reaction score
As an owner of Maui weeks, I'd be willing to forgo any payment due to me if this lawsuit is successful, as long as the tax rates are fixed going forward. Maybe spare Maui county some financial pain.
This is exactly how it will play out if the lawsuit is successful. Owners will not likely see that money returned directly, but the HOA will likely use it to pay for legal fees for the past ten years and anything left over will subsidize future costs. Also, like you said tax rates moving forward would be fixed at a lower rate. This would be a fantastic result for owners.

I might be wrong on this, but I think some of the benefit of this legal action has already been provided back to owners in the form of relatively flat MF over the past four years.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
how about finding the mid-point between the current 2 rates and taxing both TS and hotels at that same level?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
how about finding the mid-point between the current 2 rates and taxing both TS and hotels at that same level?

No way! That is so un-American. We cannot find a middle way. No compromising. :mad:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think people missed my attempt at humor. I guess if you need to explain your own humor, it was not funny. (Last attempt at humor)

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not like we are freeloaders in Maui. Timeshare owners are charged the highest annual property tax rates, a nightly Transient Accommodations Tax every night we stay in our own deeded property, income tax when we rent one of our weeks, and get taxed on the sale of our properties. We rent cars, buy groceries, go out to eat, buy concert tickets, book tours, buy beach gear, souvenirs, local arts and crafts, etc. We are fully committed to return to Maui year after year. We volunteer for beach clean ups and donate to local charities. But council members say, "Timeshare owners are not the kind of people we want in Maui."

I just wish they would stop scapegoating timeshare owners for their social, financial, and environmental problems. WKORV's lawsuit was a gutsy move, and even though we won this battle, I don't see a happy reconciliation any time in the near future.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Exactly. thanks @PamMo

This is a money grab. I understand money grabs, but this one was egregious and undocumented.
Here you go Maui: why don't you establish a 20% tax rate on all checks at 'luxury' restaurants.
Won't bother the voters....will raise income.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
I haven't done any research to substantiate this thought, but it does seem to me that timeshare owners are more likely than hotel visitors to continue to visit the islands during economic downturns, therefore continuing to support car rentals, local grocers, and the local tourist businesses like whale watching, zip lining etc. Because timeshare owners have already "committed" to a week, or more, it seems more likely that they will continue to show up. Certainly won't hold true for all owners, and those who trade into Hawaii might opt for someplace less expensive to travel to, but, still seems like occupancy at the timeshares will be higher than occupancy at the hotels, in general, during slumps in the economy.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe the solution is to stop using the term “timeshare owners” and reposition ourselves as “vacation club members” to get more respect in Maui (and elsewhere). Then perhaps we will at least be treated as equals to the hotels and resorts. No one seems to like timeshares but they love vacation clubs.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui_ed, timeshare occupancy rates are often higher than hotel occupancy rates - during bad AND good economic cycles. From the latest HTA timeshare report - https://www.hawaiitourismauthority....y-grew-to-915-percent-in-second-quarter-2018/

During the second quarter, Maui County timeshare properties led Hawaii’s four island counties in occupancy, averaging 94.0 percent (+2.0 percentage points) compared to the same period a year ago. Oahu timeshare properties averaged occupancy of 92.6 percent (+1.8 percentage points), with Kauai timeshare properties at 91.5 percent (+0.7 percentage points), and island of Hawaii timeshare properties at 84.0 percent (+1.0 percentage points) in the second quarter.

By comparison, Oahu hotels led the four island counties in occupancy during the second quarter, averaging 84.5 percent (+1.7 percentage points). Kauai hotels averaged occupancy of 77.5 percent (+2.6 percentage points), with Maui County hotels at 77.4 percent (+0.1 percentage points), and island of Hawaii hotels at 71.8 percent (+0.4 percentage points).
But in sheer numbers and power, hotels rule over the islands. Perhaps that's why timeshare owners are minimalized. https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/media/2671/hawaii-hotel-performance-09-2018.pdf

Last edited:

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Is this the appeal of the special assessment we received for like 2007 (??) retroactive taxes or is that a distinct legal matter?

From the article, it sounds like we are fighting the overall classification for the past ten years as unfair. I thought there was a case that regardless of the fairness of rate, they came after us like 8 years after the fact stating there was a clerical error and should have been charging the higher rate all along, which we argued was illegal and successfully (so far) fought in court?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Maui should be able to tax everything not used for the locals, imo, including all rentals and rental income.

What would it take to make tourists change their minds about going to Hawaii ? Tourism is the biggest problem regarding the homelessness and the over used infrastructure in Hawaii.

Bill

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I haven't done any research to substantiate this thought, but it does seem to me that timeshare owners are more likely than hotel visitors to continue to visit the islands during economic downturns, therefore continuing to support car rentals, local grocers, and the local tourist businesses like whale watching, zip lining etc. Because timeshare owners have already "committed" to a week, or more, it seems more likely that they will continue to show up. Certainly won't hold true for all owners, and those who trade into Hawaii might opt for someplace less expensive to travel to, but, still seems like occupancy at the timeshares will be higher than occupancy at the hotels, in general, during slumps in the economy.

I know I still visited Maui in 2009, 2010 and 2011 when the world was falling apart. I still shopped, still did excursions, still ate out in restaurants all during that period. I watched the shops at the Kalama Marketplace dwindle in size due to the downturn and I told my children that this was a visible impact of the economy. We made it a point to go every year and buy some items there (and still do). We are happy to see the kiosks returning — I definitely agree with the comment that timeshare owners are more likely to go (and more likely to not cancel) a trip to the islands.

Best,

Greg

WahooWah

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Is this the appeal of the special assessment we received for like 2007 (??) retroactive taxes or is that a distinct legal matter?

From the article, it sounds like we are fighting the overall classification for the past ten years as unfair. I thought there was a case that regardless of the fairness of rate, they came after us like 8 years after the fact stating there was a clerical error and should have been charging the higher rate all along, which we argued was illegal and successfully (so far) fought in court?

It is a separate but related case, I think. I think the Westin has won both cases and the County is appealing both.

Here is the ruling on the retroactive tax case: https://mauinow.com/2017/08/25/maui-county-ordered-to-refund-10-7m-to-timeshare-taxpayers/

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If we lose the appeals will we be assessed again to pay legal fees for the county if they prevail?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I might be wrong on this, but I think some of the benefit of this legal action has already been provided back to owners in the form of relatively flat MF over the past four years.
The Maui Ocean Club maintenance fees have been anything but "relatively flat" over the past four years.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I am not as forgiving as some others. If it is ultimately decided that I paid higher property taxes for the past 10 years than were lawfully assessed, I want my money back. Letting the county keep it and just fix it going forward is not acceptable. It is like penalizing a thief by preventing him from stealing in the future, but letting him keep the money he has already stolen.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
At Hono Koa, we pay property taxes but are not charged the TAT.

jpd88

Reaction score
IMHO. I am new to this topic but the Maui arguments in this article about the tax assessment seem really weak to me.

Maui County may be out $34 million and in perilous financial shape if they lose the appeal. However isn't that $34 million money that they already collected from the timeshares?
  • So they overcharged with an unfair tax assessment with poor legal justification and precedent. (shouldn't they have sought a legal opinion before pursuing this? Wouldn't someone at the County have considered that the timeshare companies would respond? i.e. they wrongfully believed that because the owners are not local and are small that there would be no battle and this would be an easy source of revenue because they don't vote.)
  • They collected and spent the $34 million incremental revenue rather than keeping it in reserve or managing their budget accordingly. (if they had hired counsel, the counsel may have warned them that they were on shaky legal ground.)
  • Now they blame the TS industry for the suit and having to refund money they shouldn't have collected in the first place?
Do I have this right? Seems like inept Maui County management to me.

[Broad political statement deleted - please stick to the timeshare TAX issue, on Maui.]

Last edited by a moderator:

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
No way! That is so un-American. We cannot find a middle way. No compromising. :mad:

I appreciate the humor. I agree. I love Maui and would want a fair assessment rather than be given arbitrary distinctions for new taxes just to justify those taxes. Although I eat in, I enjoy going out and support restaurants and whale watching tours and trips to Lanai every year. Tourists and vacationers travel to Maui to enjoy what we do not have where we live.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You've got that right. Inept fiscal management is endemic to state/county management administered by certain political organizations (e.g. Illinois, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, etc). But Maui is a little slice of paradise....except for the traffic.

@DeniseM
So this is not considered political, but my post was?
‘certain optical organizations’
In IL, CA, MA, NJ...

Gee. not political at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk