• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Premier Plus

ljlong15

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering I have the Marriott Premier card. They are offering 50,000 points to upgrade to the Premier Plus. I know it will cost more...annual fee would be $95. I don't see a reason not to. Those with the Marriott Premier card have you upgraded? Thank you.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we have. The free night is better with the new card and you get 2x all spend and 6x Marriott spend. The only reason why you would not want to do this is no more nights for every $3,000 charge. If you are working on lifetime status - then the old card will work out better for you

Bernie8245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
  1. I also have the Marriott Rewards credit card and received the same offer to upgrade to the Premier Plus card. I haven't used my free night yet on my existing card yet which just renewed last month. If I upgrade to the Premier Plus card, will I still be able to use the free night from the old card? I will be using the free night next month. Should I just wait until I use my free night from the old card to get the new card?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
  1. I also have the Marriott Rewards credit card and received the same offer to upgrade to the Premier Plus card. I haven't used my free night yet on my existing card yet which just renewed last month. If I upgrade to the Premier Plus card, will I still be able to use the free night from the old card? I will be using the free night next month. Should I just wait until I use my free night from the old card to get the new card?
You don't need to wait. The free night has been awarded to you and should be listed in your MR account. It won't disappear just because you've applied for the upgraded card. It WILL, however, disappear if you don't use it before it expires :)

Bernie8245

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't need to wait. The free night has been awarded to you and should be listed in your MR account. It won't disappear just because you've applied for the upgraded card. It WILL, however, disappear if you don't use it before it expires :)
Thank you! That's what I thought.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai

They extended mine for six months once when I told them I hadn't been able to use it yet. That was just before the switch from six months validity to a full year, though.

I got the upgrade offer (with 50k bonus) last week and just did it today. Apparently this stated months ago, with people getting various number of points for offers, including zero. I didn't see anything about it here or on thepointsguy until now. Don't forget you only need to make one purchase to activate the bonus.

The other negative is that the Plus doesn't have trip interruption or cancellation coverage, but I think they'll yank that from the regular Premier sometime. And I use Chase Sapphire for those purposes. In fact, now I don't use the Marriott card for anything but Marriott, and as a backup while traveling.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I upgraded about 2 months ago and was only offered a 10,000 point bonus. I received a 25,000 1 night certificate and called Chase to ask why I didn't get the 35,000 certificate (my anniversary date was in October '18). They said they would look into it and exchange the certificate. I ended up with 2 certificates in my account (1 each for 25,000 and 35,000 point nights). I am using the new card now for most of my purchases for the 2 x points (other than dining and travel for which I use my Sapphire Reserve 3x points). I'm traveling tomorrow to the Marriott Aruba Surf club where we always spend a lot of money on premises and will take advantage of the 6x points for this trip.