• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should You Buy That Cheap Allegiant Air Ticket? (Video)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Should You Buy That Cheap Allegiant Air Ticket? (Video)
By Maya Kachroo-Levine/ T&L/ Airlines/ Airports/ U.S./ Travel & Leisure/ travelandleisure.com

"When deciding whether or not to grab that Allegiant Air flight deal, you first need to ask: Is it safe to fly Allegiant Air?

In April, 60 Minutes aired a special about the airline’s not-so-hot safety record, reporting that 25 of their planes experienced some sort of mechanical issue in the last two years. (They also reported that Allegiant only has 99 planes, meaning nearly 25 percent of them have experienced an issue that could correlate to a passenger’s safety.) However, this doesn’t necessarily mean the airline is less safe, but rather means that Allegiant reports more events than competitors because their aircrafts tend to be older, and therefore need maintenance checks more often.

On the plus side, Allegiant is actually updating their fleet to include newer airbuses. The only problem is while bringing in new aircrafts, Allegiant has had to cancel flights because their new planes are arriving behind schedule.

While, admittedly, the first half of 2018 was a bit rough to Allegiant Air, it’s still a U.S. Department of Transportation certified airline that’s been operating since 1997. Allegiant currently flies within the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Their direct flights can be super affordable, and they’re even branching out and opening a hotel in Florida in 2019. If you’re wondering whether or not to hop on an Allegiant Air flight, you first want to know what you’re getting into. Are you actually more likely to be delayed because they’re looking into an engine issue? We looked through what passengers had to say about flying Allegiant, and here’s what you need to know before booking that ticket....."

Richard

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
and they’re even branching out and opening a hotel in Florida in 2019.
I can only imagine what an Allegiant hotel experience would be like...
  • There's a "convenience fee" for booking your room online
  • A fee for paying with a credit card
  • The room rate includes a room. Want a bed? Extra. Bedding? Extra. Pillows? Extra. Bath towel? Extra. Bath mat? Extra. Toilet paper? Extra. Soap and shampoo? Go down to the lobby and purchase them from the vending machine.
  • To operate the shower, you must put quarters into the slot. There's also a dollar bill slot for hot water.
  • The check-in desk is only staffed starting 2 hours before bed time, and closes at lights-out.
  • Beds are 17" wide and 50" long.
  • No TV; no phones -- provide your own.
  • Only 1 in 3 rooms have a window, and of course there is an extra charge for a window room.
  • $150 change fee for any change in dates or people
:D:D:D:D:D

Kurt

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
  • The check-in desk is only staffed starting 2 hours before bed time, and closes at lights-out.

My most "memorable" trip on Allegiant was supposed to be a quick down-and-back from Monterey to San Diego for a business meeting.

Outbound - plane left 2 hours late. OK, it happens, but it really screwed up the timing for the meeting.

Return - plane was 3 hours late. More to the point, when we returned to Monterey, the Allegiant desk was closed. There were dozens of frantic, screaming people waiting for their loved ones. No one at Allegiant had contacted anyone about the delay, and there was no information on their board or website. As far as those waiting knew, the plane had crashed. They were frantic; and then they were extremely p*ssed.

(long ago, before ubiquitous cell phones and web access).

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've actually started flying Allegiant pretty frequently (the price can be 1/4 of other airlines and flies to/from the closest small airports). I think my daughter had one significant delay once....but flying into St Petersburg FL and catching an Uber home is quick & easy for her and the baby. As a veteran we also get free bags.....we usually don't pick seats unless we're flying with kids; and we don't need food or drink (it's an hour flight).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds liked the majority of posters have spoken and the final answer is “. .”

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Ally-giant, the airline people love to kick.

Our airline of choice.

Frankly, they are much better at screwing up than they used to be. In the old days they would show up really late, or not at all, and, oh well! Now they order pizza and soda in, and give you a voucher so you can come back to florida next Winter for next to nothing, if $24 RT is next to nothing.

(YMMV)

They are building a destination resort in Punta Gorda, or, as my buddy would say, Poonta Gorda, with heavy emphasis on the Poo. He likes the heavy Spanish accent because they own (owned) timeshares at Pueblo Bonito, or whatever it's called. Of course, that was before we moved to Florida, so they did, too.

Ah, buddies, something else you to kick.

:whooopie:

Actually, I say it is in Poonta Gorda, because Poonta Gorda is more recognizable than Charlotte Harbor, FL, which is where it is being built. It is where US 41 (Tamiami Trail) meets the water on the southbound side, near the Charlotte Bay Resort and Club, one of the few SW FL timeshares we never stayed at, or had a desire to:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...f8497c603930cd!8m2!3d26.9583387!4d-82.0670128

I just had the thought that All-Giant sorta has dumb luck. They have always had older planes, something they are doing something about, but they never had the resources, or desire, to buy brand new planes, the kind that kill people. I guess all those people that have been killed on other airlines have the consolation that those airlines did not have any maintenance violations, if that is the case.

(knocking on wood)

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
(Play the theme from the Twilight Zone, you know, the do do do do do do do do one)

I posted about Ally-Giant and Exit Strategy, then when I just checked my in box I had an email from Ally-Giant and an Exit Team.

:eek:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at Charlotte Bay and Resort Club, it is a nice Timeshare. Not sure why you are knocking it.
I wrote a review too.
Don’t like Fishermen’s Village we owned a week briefly there. But that is another thread.
Silentg

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
We stayed at Charlotte Bay and Resort Club, it is a nice Timeshare. Not sure why you are knocking it.

I did not realize that saying that we never had a desire to stay there was knocking it.

We never had a desire to stay at Fishermen's Village either.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The good thing about Allegiant is that they generally serve smaller airports that might not get any service otherwise.

The bad thing is that when things go wrong, they don't have the planes, people (pilots and flight attendants time out if the delay is too long), or mechanics/parts to move around like other larger airlines do -- and that can cause huge delays. I'm glad they are around serving smaller markets and keeping big carriers fare competitive, but I'm glad I have several major airports near me and don't need to fly them.

-ryan

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The good thing about Allegiant is that they generally serve smaller airports that might not get any service otherwise.

Their biz model: Many regional airports to a handful of very popular tourist destinations, twice a week.

It concerns me to see them adding more destinations, but they seem to be doing it smart(ly), like some regional airports connect to Clearwater/St. Pete, and other regional airports to Punta Gorda, but no regional airports connect to both.

I/we don't fly it any more, but when I/we did, the plane was always full.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I’ve been in the Airplane business over 50 years and I sometimes think some of Allegiant equipment has been in operation longer than me.

A girlfriend of mine loves them but you couldn’t get me on one of their planes at gunpoint.

To each their own:cool:

Cheers