• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

An Inconvenient Death (distant B-I-L)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Shoot. The deceased was the 3rd husband of DW's sister...
He was in his 80's, only saw him once a year and it wasn't unexpected.
But now...

Instead of going to HGVC SeaWorld on Tuesday for the $200 GC
(special offer from August) and the last week of our Disney A-P...
I'm driving to Knoxville to attend a funeral.

Can we at least check-in, get the GC, and then leave? ...DW: No.
Can we change the booking to dates that still qualified? Not likely.

So, we lose the GC and our last week at Disney (4th this year).
At least I kept our points by moving the booking 30+ days out.
<sigh>

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
But now...

<sigh>

So sorry. Life happens. Today we were planning next years vacations and we both said hopefully we get to go. Lots of sick relatives and we never know when we will have to go back in an emergency. We all just have to live life while we can.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm 83 going on 84 years old. My kids and ex-wives have written instructions not to change any plans when I die. They are to arrange for my cremation (by phone if necessary) and not to have a service. Their instructions are to use the proceeds of a specific life insurance policy for a party to celebrate my life at a time and place of their choosing. There is a list attached of whom to invite to the party but they have been told to include anyone else they want. There is no way I want them to inconvenience their lives because I died...

George

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I'm 83 going on 84 years old. My kids and ex-wives have written instructions not to change any plans when I die. They are to arrange for my cremation (by phone if necessary) and not to have a service. Their instructions are to use the proceeds of a specific life insurance policy for a party to celebrate my life at a time and place of their choosing. There is a list attached of whom to invite to the party but they have been told to include anyone else they want. There is no way I want them to inconvenience their lives because I died...

George
Bless you, how lucky your family is that you think of their well being. I wish I had a parent like you.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My 93 yo aunt is still churging along. Living in her own apartment with some 'help' ... 2 visits of 45 minites ... AM and then again PM. She was handling weekends til she dveloped a new issue about 10 weeks ago .... so we are trying to get an acceptable coverage on weekends now.

She had have one of those MedAlert alarms for several years .... she won't wear it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both my husband and I have specified in our trust to cremate us, no memorial service and no notice in the papers whatsoever. It is up to the living to decide what to do with the ashes. If it gets dumped into the trash can it is fine too. It is all about those who are left behind.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I agree, once I'm gone, there's no need for rituals like a funeral.
Still, some need to grieve. For that, a memorial or wake is okay.

But in our culture, funerals are a tradition and family obligation...
which, unfortunately, often turn one's best laid plans to dust.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't intend to have a funeral. A cremation, then (and I'm kind of adamant) I want my cremains scattered in the waters from the Yellowstone caldera in the Henry's Fork River. The giant cutthroat trout can use them for redds (nests). In time whatever used to be 'me' will have a better use in Nature's scheme.I

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Christmas after my last parent had passed ... my sister, the executor of the estate .... gave me a Christmas present from my recently deceased parent. It was the 4th plot in their gravesite.

Yes, I can count ... they brought the gravesite when I was almost 4yo ... a younger brother died at age 3 months on Dec 31 from SIDs in the 1950s.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The Christmas after my last parent had passed ... my sister, the executor of the estate .... gave me a Christmas present from my recently deceased parent. It was the 4th plot in their gravesite.... [T]hey brought the gravesite when I was almost 4yo...

Geesh... Planning ahead, were they?

I've requested that my ashes be scattered in Biscayne Bay in South Florida.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
But now...

<sigh>

Your post about a sudden death brought to mind a free dinner presentation we attended where they want you to sign over your timeshares ownership to them for free so you and the beneficiaries of your estate won't have to be burdened with the maintenance.

They claim your estate CAN'T get rid of even if it is or is or is not listed in your will or trust estate. They claim that your dependents will have the burden forever due to a new national law that was passed a couple of years ago that says you can't give or will your timeshares to someone who doesn't want them and won't pay the maintenance for them. I know that there will be a lot of comments on this subject about what "might me true", but is there any accurate information on this subject that we all can learn from.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
They claim your estate CAN'T get rid of even if it is or is or is not listed in your will or trust estate. They claim that your dependents will have the burden forever due to a new national law that was passed a couple of years ago that says you can't give or will your timeshares to someone who doesn't want them and won't pay the maintenance for them...

Well, there's some wholesale whoppers in there...
First, inheritance + probate is governed by state law. No federal law covers this subject.

That said, TS's are part of your estate and title will go to your heirs, unless otherwise disposed of under the terms of a will. You will can (and should) tell your executor to sell, gift or abandon TS's to others, at his or her absolute discretion. He or she may ask an heir to accept it, but heirs may disclaim any bequest in writing.

The estate may have to pay fees currently due fees, if a claim is duly filed by the TS management. However, in no case, can an heir be held personally liable for fees (unless they specifically accept transfer of the TS).

Note: This is not to be considered legal advice, merely the musings of an armchair quarterback who knows just enuff to be dangerous. Nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Well, there's some wholesale whoppers in there...
First, inheritance + probate is governed by state law. No federal law covers this subject.

That said, TS's are part of your estate and title will go to your heirs, unless otherwise disposed of under the terms of a will. You will can (and should) tell your executor to sell, gift or abandon TS's to others, at his or her absolute discretion. He or she may ask an heir to accept it, but heirs may disclaim any bequest in writing.

The estate may have to pay fees currently due fees, if a claim is duly filed by the TS management. However, in no case, can an heir be held personally liable for fees (unless they specifically accept transfer of the TS).

Note: This is not to be considered legal advice, merely the musings of an armchair quarterback who knows just enuff to be dangerous. Nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Just tell the executor to place all timeshares on TUG for free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
They claim your estate CAN'T get rid of even if it is or is or is not listed in your will or trust estate. They claim that your dependents will have the burden forever due to a new national law that was passed a couple of years ago that says you can't give or will your timeshares to someone who doesn't want them and won't pay the maintenance for them. I know that there will be a lot of comments on this subject about what "might me true", but is there any accurate information on this subject that we all can learn from.
Just tell the executor to place all timeshares on TUG for free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that would work for Hilton Timeshares. However, some other timeshares can't even be given away without the owner paying the closing or other costs. A specific example of a timeshare that can't be gotten rid of at the presentation was Manhattan Club which I understand the maintenance has gone up to over $3,000/week and owners want to get rid of really badly due to the high maintenance costs!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Some other timeshares can't even be given away without the owner paying the closing or other costs...

However, an executor won't be worried about non-payment of fees. He's more likely to offer a deed back or foreclosure, rather than go thru the hassle of finding a stranger to give to... unless that is somewhat strangely, someone wants a white elephant.

Last edited: